* rocksdb with jemalloc
@ 2015-05-12  1:41 kernel neophyte
From: kernel neophyte @ 2015-05-12  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

I am trying to use newstore + rocksdb + jemalloc. Currently rocksdb in
ceph compiles only with tcmalloc and not with jemalloc.

Is there any reason for this limitation ?

-Neo

* Re: rocksdb with jemalloc
@ 2015-05-12  2:55 ` Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2015-05-12  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel neophyte, ceph-devel

On 05/11/2015 08:41 PM, kernel neophyte wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to use newstore + rocksdb + jemalloc. Currently rocksdb in
> ceph compiles only with tcmalloc and not with jemalloc.
>
> Is there any reason for this limitation ?

Heya, I'm guessing it's not by design, simply no one's tried doing it
yet.  What are you running into?

> -Neo

* RE: rocksdb with jemalloc
@ 2015-05-12  8:11   ` Chen, Xiaoxi
From: Chen, Xiaoxi @ 2015-05-12  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson, kernel neophyte, ceph-devel

Hi Neo,
          Did you hit the error when doing configure? The error message looks like
		configure: error: --with-jemalloc called with --with-librocksdb_static, turn off
			        --with-librocksdb-static or --with-jemalloc
          This is because RocksDB use tcmalloc so we cannot build it with jemalloc.
          But if you manually clone RocksDB from facebook , compile it and install, then use ./configure --with-librocksdb --with-jemalloc, seems we can pass the build.

													Xiaoxi

* Re: rocksdb with jemalloc
@ 2015-05-12 21:07   ` kernel neophyte
From: kernel neophyte @ 2015-05-12 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Mark Nelson <mnelson@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2015 08:41 PM, kernel neophyte wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am trying to use newstore + rocksdb + jemalloc. Currently rocksdb in
>> ceph compiles only with tcmalloc and not with jemalloc.
>>
>> Is there any reason for this limitation ?
>

> Heya, I'm guessing it's not by design, simply no one's tried doing it yet.
> What are you running into?

I run into configure: error: --with-jemalloc called with
--with-librocksdb_static, turn off
                                --with-librocksdb-static or --with-jemalloc

I do not see why  --with-librocksdb-static cannot be called --with-jemalloc

I pulled in changes from mainline rocksdb, I am testing it out, I will
send out a pull request to enable -with-librocksdb-static
--with-jemalloc

-Neo

>> -Neo
>> --

* Re: rocksdb with jemalloc
@ 2015-05-12 21:09     ` kernel neophyte
From: kernel neophyte @ 2015-05-12 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chen, Xiaoxi; +Cc: Mark Nelson, ceph-devel

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:11 AM, Chen, Xiaoxi <xiaoxi.chen@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Neo,
>           Did you hit the error when doing configure? The error message looks like
>                 configure: error: --with-jemalloc called with --with-librocksdb_static, turn off
>                                 --with-librocksdb-static or --with-jemalloc

Yes, this is what I am talking about.

>           This is because RocksDB use tcmalloc so we cannot build it with jemalloc.

Thats not true ? RocksDB can be made to build with jemalloc.
I will send a PR soon.

>           But if you manually clone RocksDB from facebook , compile it and install, then use ./configure --with-librocksdb --with-jemalloc, seems we can pass the build.

I tried this, build succeeds, however newstore keeps crashing with
this approach, I havent got around to why it crashes.

-Neo