* [dm-crypt] Trying to mount pre-Luks encrypted external disks, suse 12.3
@ 2013-07-17 23:41 James Pacey Bennett
From: James Pacey Bennett @ 2013-07-17 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I have several external backup disks encrypted before Luks appeared.  After
update from 12.1 to 12.3, losetup is gone and I haven't been able to
mount the encrypted disks.

linux-p22i /root# uname -r
3.7.10-1.16-desktop

linux-p22i /root# lsmod | grep crypt
cryptoloop             12715  0
loop                   27944  1 cryptoloop
dm_crypt               22845  2
dm_mod                 92315  4 dm_crypt

linux-p22i /root# lsblk -f -l /dev/sdi1
NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID MOUNTPOINT
sdi1

***/dev/sdi1 was previously under 12.1 mounted using losetup***

***Because the partition isn't a Luks partition, I can't***
linux-p22i /root# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdi1 back5
Device /dev/sdi1 is not a valid LUKS device.

So I try a 'legacy' approach per the cryptosetup wiki:

linux-p22i /root# cryptsetup create back5 /dev/sdi1
Enter passphrase:
(which I did; just got newline)

linux-p22i /root# cryptsetup status back5
/dev/mapper/back5 is active.
  type:    PLAIN
  cipher:  aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
  keysize: 256 bits
  device:  /dev/sdi1
  offset:  0 sectors
  size:    976768002 sectors
  mode:    read/write

***which seems correct to me***

linux-p22i /root# l /dev/mapper/
back5@                                              cr_ata-WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0_WD-WCATRC268610-part1@
control%                                            main@

Now. How do I or what do I mount?  I can't use /dev/mapper directly.
I have no success trying to mkfs /dev/back5.

This must be a common problem but I don't find
it addressed in the opensuse forums.

Help!
jim bennett

* Re: [dm-crypt] Trying to mount pre-Luks encrypted external disks, suse 12.3
@ 2013-07-18  5:55 ` .. ink ..
From: .. ink .. @ 2013-07-18  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Pacey Bennett; +Cc: dm-crypt

> So I try a 'legacy' approach per the cryptosetup wiki:
>
> linux-p22i /root# cryptsetup create back5 /dev/sdi1
> Enter passphrase:
> (which I did; just got newline)
>
> linux-p22i /root# cryptsetup status back5
> /dev/mapper/back5 is active.
>   type:    PLAIN
>   cipher:  aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
>   keysize: 256 bits
>   device:  /dev/sdi1
>   offset:  0 sectors
>   size:    976768002 sectors
>   mode:    read/write
>
> ***which seems correct to me***
>
> linux-p22i /root# l /dev/mapper/
> back5@
> cr_ata-WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0_WD-WCATRC268610-part1@
> control%                                            main@
>
> Now. How do I or what do I mount?  I can't use /dev/mapper directly.
> I have no success trying to mkfs /dev/back5.
>
> This must be a common problem but I don't find
> it addressed in the opensuse forums.

The mapper path created is "/dev/mapper/back5".This is the plain text path
you use to access stuff stored in the encrypted volume.

Just to be safe the default options of cryptsetup are the same as the ones
you used when you were using losetup,run the following commands to see if
they will recognize the file system on the volume.

blkid /dev/mapper/back5

what seem correct to you may not be.With slightly different encryption
options,its even possible for blkid among other tools to see valid file
system giving you more hope you have used correct options and you could end
up corrupting your data if you write to them.

I think the safety thing to do is to go back to an old system where the
volumes worked,copy the data off of them and then create a new cryptsetup
volume on the device and then move back your data.

* Re: [dm-crypt] Trying to mount pre-Luks encrypted external disks, suse 12.3
@ 2013-07-18  6:24 ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2013-07-18  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Pacey Bennett; +Cc: dm-crypt

Sorry for top posting, but please first read section 7.6 of FAQ
losetup->cryptsetup guide or https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/2/162
it should help you :)

I am almost sure the options you used are not valid (ESSIV was never
used in cryptloop etc). You have to specify options explicitly.
As mentioned in document, options cannot be detected automatically.

If you cannot find solution, please post _exact_ losetup parameters
you are using and exact losetup (util-linux) version from working system
(very important because Suse added some patches).

Milan