* How to pull grub2
@ 2011-09-28 13:21 v sailaja
From: v sailaja @ 2011-09-28 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

I  have built the poky source with grub-0.97 but Now i want to pull grub2.
I have grub2 recipe i.e, grub_1.98.bb.
If grub_0.97.bb file is there, then it is building for grub-0.97 only, so I
deleted the grub_0.97.bb file from meta/recipes-bsp/ and
I just changed the preferred version of grub from 0.97 to 1.98
in  fishriver.conf.

-REFERRED_VERSION_grub ?= "0.97"
+REFERRED_VERSION_grub ?= "1.98"

But i am facing an error *"ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'grub'".*
Can anyone tell me how to resolve this error and why i  am facing this error
though the grub recipe is there in meta/recipes-bsp/.
*
*
*
*

--
Thanks & Regards,
SAI

* Re: How to pull grub2
@ 2011-09-28 14:08 ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2011-09-28 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: v sailaja; +Cc: poky

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 06:21 -0700, v sailaja wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I  have built the poky source with grub-0.97 but Now i want to pull
> grub2.
> I have grub2 recipe i.e, grub_1.98.bb.
> If grub_0.97.bb file is there, then it is building for grub-0.97 only,
> so I deleted the grub_0.97.bb file from meta/recipes-bsp/ and
> I just changed the preferred version of grub from 0.97 to 1.98
> in  fishriver.conf.
>

> -REFERRED_VERSION_grub ?= "0.97"
> +REFERRED_VERSION_grub ?= "1.98"
>

> But i am facing an error "ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'grub'".
> Can anyone tell me how to resolve this error and why i  am facing this
> error though the grub recipe is there in meta/recipes-bsp/.

Hi,

It's because the grub 1.98 recipe is restricted to only x86.64 and the
grub 0.97 recipe to only i.86, so fishriver will only use .97 and won't
see 1.98.

There's now a grub 1.99 recipe in poky/master that does both, so I'd
recommend you upgrade to edison or master of both poky and meta-intel to
take advantage of it.

Tom

> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> SAI

* Re: How to pull grub2
@ 2011-09-29 11:58   ` v sailaja
From: v sailaja @ 2011-09-29 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Zanussi, poky

I just pulled the grub_1.99.bb in poky and built it for "*fishriver"*machine.
I am trying to install the image on* "Gigabyte"* machine, but it is promting
an error while installing.

*ERROR:*
*
*
*/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This msdos-style partition label hal no
post-MBR gap; embedding won't be possible!*
*/usr/sbin/grub-setup:warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blockclists area
UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..*
*/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error:will not proceed with blocklilsts.*
*Installtion image failed.*
sh: can't access tty; job control truned off

Please tell me is there anything I need to modify the bb file ?
Does grub2 work fine with fishriver machine?

--
Thanks & Regards,
SAI

--
Thanks & Regards,
SAI

* Re: How to pull grub2
@ 2011-09-29 14:56     ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2011-09-29 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: v sailaja; +Cc: poky

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 04:58 -0700, v sailaja wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I just pulled the grub_1.99.bb in poky and built it for "fishriver"
> machine.
> I am trying to install the image on "Gigabyte" machine, but it is
> promting an error while installing.
>

> ERROR:
>

> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This msdos-style partition label hal no
> post-MBR gap; embedding won't be possible!
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup:warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be
> installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blockclists area
> UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error:will not proceed with blocklilsts.
> Installtion image failed.
> sh: can't access tty; job control truned off
>

> Please tell me is there anything I need to modify the bb file ?
> Does grub2 work fine with fishriver machine?

Hi,

Looks like you're using the old
recipes-core/initrdscripts/initramfs-live-install recipe and
init-install.sh update that goes with it, which would avoid this
problem.  Those are also available in poky/master and edison.

With those updates, it should work fine with the fishriver machine.

Tom