* gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location
@ 2013-11-06 11:32 Hans Beckérus
From: Hans Beckérus @ 2013-11-06 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi, I am getting the below error when populating the sdk for our Yocto
1.5 based image.

WARNING: QA Issue: gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong
location: /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0.0.0
gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
/opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0
gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
/opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so

Never got this on Yocto 1.4. I am not even planning of installing
anything in /opt so this really came out of nowhere. There is nothing
installed in /opt at the moment.
Did it actually expect to find something in /opt? And in that case,
how can it? It can not know where the toolchain will be installed!?
Somebody that can shed some light on this one? Can we safely ignore it?

Thanks.
Hans

---

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.20.0"
BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING   = "SUSE-LINUX-11"
TARGET_SYS        = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE           = "zynq-zc706"
DISTRO            = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.5"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "armv7a vfp cortexa9"
TARGET_FPU        = "vfp"
meta
meta-yocto
meta-yocto-bsp    = "dora:75bed4086eb83f1d24c31392f3dd54aa5c3679b1"
meta-oe           = "dora:513e7ca20ddd0a5c3b649bf292a67c3e0473d3a8"

* Re: gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location
@ 2013-11-07  9:56 ` Hans Beckérus
From: Hans Beckérus @ 2013-11-07  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am getting the below error when populating the sdk for our Yocto
> 1.5 based image.
>
> WARNING: QA Issue: gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong
> location: /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0.0.0
> gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
> /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0
> gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
> /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so
>
> Never got this on Yocto 1.4. I am not even planning of installing
> anything in /opt so this really came out of nowhere. There is nothing
> installed in /opt at the moment.
> Did it actually expect to find something in /opt? And in that case,
> how can it? It can not know where the toolchain will be installed!?
> Somebody that can shed some light on this one? Can we safely ignore it?

Ok, I started to look some more into this but unfortunately my
knowledge about how bitbake is picking up recipes etc. is way too
limited to explain why this is happening. I searched for
gcc-cross-canadian in our layers and it can be found here:

meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian.inc
meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.7.bb
meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.8.bb
meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.6.bb

So, my question now is: why does it pickup gcc 4.6 from
meta-openembedded when there are better alternatives in oe-core?

We do not tell our bitbake to search in meta-opemembedded/toolchain-layer?
This is our current setting of BBLAYERS in bblayers.conf:

BBLAYERS ?= " \
  /home/user/poky/meta \
  /home/user/poky/meta-yocto \
  /home/user/poky/meta-yocto-bsp \
  /home/user/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
  "

Even if we can get some understanding of why the wrong gcc is picked
up, the QA issue might still be there of course.
But the selection of gcc version from meta-openembedded currently
seems even more strange at the moment.

@ 2013-11-07 11:00   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-11-07 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Beckérus; +Cc: yocto

Hi Hans,

On Thursday 07 November 2013 10:56:17 Hans Beckérus wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi, I am getting the below error when populating the sdk for our Yocto
> > 1.5 based image.
> >
> > WARNING: QA Issue: gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong
> > location:
> > /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gn
> > ueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0.0.0
> > gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
> > /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnu
> > eabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0
> > gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
> > /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnu
> > eabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so
> >
> > Never got this on Yocto 1.4. I am not even planning of installing
> > anything in /opt so this really came out of nowhere. There is nothing
> > installed in /opt at the moment.
> > Did it actually expect to find something in /opt? And in that case,
> > how can it? It can not know where the toolchain will be installed!?
> > Somebody that can shed some light on this one? Can we safely ignore it?
>
> Ok, I started to look some more into this but unfortunately my
> knowledge about how bitbake is picking up recipes etc. is way too
> limited to explain why this is happening. I searched for
> gcc-cross-canadian in our layers and it can be found here:
>
> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian.inc
> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.7.bb
> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.8.bb
> meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.
> 6.bb
>
> So, my question now is: why does it pickup gcc 4.6 from
> meta-openembedded when there are better alternatives in oe-core?

What makes you think it is picking up the one in toolchain-layer? I don't see
references to 4.6 in the QA error. If you haven't added meta-
openembedded/toolchain-layer to your bblayers.conf specifically it won't be
being seen by bitbake at all.

It's more than likely that this QA error is bogus. The "found library in wrong
location" QA check was broken originally; I "fixed" it but I think it has
always been a little over-zealous since then.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location
@ 2013-11-07 11:15     ` Hans Beckérus
From: Hans Beckérus @ 2013-11-07 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Thursday 07 November 2013 10:56:17 Hans Beckérus wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi, I am getting the below error when populating the sdk for our Yocto
>> > 1.5 based image.
>> >
>> > WARNING: QA Issue: gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong
>> > location:
>> > /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gn
>> > ueabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0.0.0
>> > gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
>> > /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnu
>> > eabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so.0
>> > gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location:
>> > /opt/poky/1.5/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/libexec/arm-poky-linux-gnu
>> > eabi/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/liblto_plugin.so
>> >
>> > Never got this on Yocto 1.4. I am not even planning of installing
>> > anything in /opt so this really came out of nowhere. There is nothing
>> > installed in /opt at the moment.
>> > Did it actually expect to find something in /opt? And in that case,
>> > how can it? It can not know where the toolchain will be installed!?
>> > Somebody that can shed some light on this one? Can we safely ignore it?
>>
>> Ok, I started to look some more into this but unfortunately my
>> knowledge about how bitbake is picking up recipes etc. is way too
>> limited to explain why this is happening. I searched for
>> gcc-cross-canadian in our layers and it can be found here:
>>
>> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian.inc
>> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.7.bb
>> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.8.bb
>> meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.
>> 6.bb
>>
>> So, my question now is: why does it pickup gcc 4.6 from
>> meta-openembedded when there are better alternatives in oe-core?
>
> What makes you think it is picking up the one in toolchain-layer? I don't see
> references to 4.6 in the QA error. If you haven't added meta-
> openembedded/toolchain-layer to your bblayers.conf specifically it won't be
> being seen by bitbake at all.

Hi Paul.

True. It was a false statement. The reason behind why I thought it
picked up the wrong recipe was due to other reasons.
I now see that it seems to pick up the 4.8 version in oe-core.

> It's more than likely that this QA error is bogus. The "found library in wrong
> location" QA check was broken originally; I "fixed" it but I think it has
> always been a little over-zealous since then.

I see. Funny though that this was not seen on Yocto 1.4? But it
probably has a good explanation too.
The most important thing is that we can now conclude that it is safe
to ignore it. I guess it might have something to do with providing
references to ${SDKPATH} in EXTRA_OECONF_PATHS. But it is most likely
not worth the effort trying to fix it.

@ 2013-11-07 14:01       ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-11-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Beckérus; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 12:15 +0100, Hans Beckérus wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > On Thursday 07 November 2013 10:56:17 Hans Beckérus wrote:

> >> Ok, I started to look some more into this but unfortunately my
> >> knowledge about how bitbake is picking up recipes etc. is way too
> >> limited to explain why this is happening. I searched for
> >> gcc-cross-canadian in our layers and it can be found here:
> >>
> >> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian.inc
> >> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.7.bb
> >> meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.8.bb
> >> meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.
> >> 6.bb
> >>
> >> So, my question now is: why does it pickup gcc 4.6 from
> >> meta-openembedded when there are better alternatives in oe-core?
> >
> > What makes you think it is picking up the one in toolchain-layer? I don't see
> > references to 4.6 in the QA error. If you haven't added meta-
> > openembedded/toolchain-layer to your bblayers.conf specifically it won't be
> > being seen by bitbake at all.
> >

> Hi Paul.
>
> True. It was a false statement. The reason behind why I thought it
> picked up the wrong recipe was due to other reasons.
> I now see that it seems to pick up the 4.8 version in oe-core.
>
> > It's more than likely that this QA error is bogus. The "found library in wrong
> > location" QA check was broken originally; I "fixed" it but I think it has
> > always been a little over-zealous since then.
> >
> I see. Funny though that this was not seen on Yocto 1.4? But it
> probably has a good explanation too.
> The most important thing is that we can now conclude that it is safe
> to ignore it. I guess it might have something to do with providing
> references to ${SDKPATH} in EXTRA_OECONF_PATHS. But it is most likely
> not worth the effort trying to fix it.

There were some changes in the cross-canadian recipes in 1.5 which
triggered this warning. We do need to figure out why its happening and
fix it. It does seem to be intermittent though and when I have time to
debug it, I can't see to reproduce it :/

It is relatively harmless but would be good to resolve it.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: gcc-cross-canadian-arm: found library in wrong location
@ 2013-11-07 14:11         ` Hans Beckérus
From: Hans Beckérus @ 2013-11-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 12:15 +0100, Hans Beckérus wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Paul Eggleton
>> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Hans,

>> > What makes you think it is picking up the one in toolchain-layer? I don't see
>> > references to 4.6 in the QA error. If you haven't added meta-
>> > openembedded/toolchain-layer to your bblayers.conf specifically it won't be
>> > being seen by bitbake at all.
>> >

>> Hi Paul.
>>
>> True. It was a false statement. The reason behind why I thought it
>> picked up the wrong recipe was due to other reasons.
>> I now see that it seems to pick up the 4.8 version in oe-core.
>>
>> > It's more than likely that this QA error is bogus. The "found library in wrong
>> > location" QA check was broken originally; I "fixed" it but I think it has
>> > always been a little over-zealous since then.
>> >
>> I see. Funny though that this was not seen on Yocto 1.4? But it
>> probably has a good explanation too.
>> The most important thing is that we can now conclude that it is safe
>> to ignore it. I guess it might have something to do with providing
>> references to ${SDKPATH} in EXTRA_OECONF_PATHS. But it is most likely
>> not worth the effort trying to fix it.
>>

> There were some changes in the cross-canadian recipes in 1.5 which
> triggered this warning. We do need to figure out why its happening and
> fix it. It does seem to be intermittent though and when I have time to
> debug it, I can't see to reproduce it :/

Hi Richard.
If you wish, I can get try to reproduce it again. Only seen it once,
but also only tried it once.
So currently in our setup it is 100% reproducible ;)

@ 2013-11-08  8:23           ` Hans Beckérus
From: Hans Beckérus @ 2013-11-08  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 12:15 +0100, Hans Beckérus wrote:

>>> Hi Paul.
>>>
>>> True. It was a false statement. The reason behind why I thought it
>>> picked up the wrong recipe was due to other reasons.
>>> I now see that it seems to pick up the 4.8 version in oe-core.

>>> I see. Funny though that this was not seen on Yocto 1.4? But it
>>> probably has a good explanation too.
>>> The most important thing is that we can now conclude that it is safe
>>> to ignore it. I guess it might have something to do with providing
>>> references to ${SDKPATH} in EXTRA_OECONF_PATHS. But it is most likely
>>> not worth the effort trying to fix it.
>>>

>> There were some changes in the cross-canadian recipes in 1.5 which
>> triggered this warning. We do need to figure out why its happening and
>> fix it. It does seem to be intermittent though and when I have time to
>> debug it, I can't see to reproduce it :/
>>
> Hi Richard.
> If you wish, I can get try to reproduce it again. Only seen it once,
> but also only tried it once.
> So currently in our setup it is 100% reproducible ;)

It seems we get it every time in our setup.
All that is needed is:
# bitbake -c cleanall gcc-cross-canadian-arm
# bitbake gcc-cross-canadian-arm

Thanks.
Hans