* [U-Boot] about flashing the u-boot
@ 2011-12-14 16:10 Érico Porto
From: Érico Porto @ 2011-12-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello!

Is it possible to flash a ppc board, that already has an older u-boot
version, without using a jtag interface? I mean, I know I can write the
filesystem using tftpboot, is it possible to also use it to write over
u-boot? If no, is there any alternative to use jtag?

Erico Vieira Porto

* [U-Boot] about flashing the u-boot
@ 2011-12-15  2:44 ` Érico Porto
From: Érico Porto @ 2011-12-15  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Got a USB TAP, but unfortunately it is supposed to be used with Code
Warrior. Any software that allows me to use it to flash a ppc?

?rico V. Porto

@ 2011-12-15  3:01   ` Aggrwal Poonam-B10812
From: Aggrwal Poonam-B10812 @ 2011-12-15  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

You can use tftp to reflash the bootloader onto the ppc board.
Which board are you using?
I can give you the instructions for it.

@ 2011-12-15 19:31     ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2011-12-15 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 12/14/2011 09:01 PM, Aggrwal Poonam-B10812 wrote:

> [...]

Just be aware that if the new image doesn't work, you'll need jtag (or
an alternative boot source such as NAND) to recover.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] about flashing the u-boot
@ 2011-12-15 22:29       ` Érico Porto
From: Érico Porto @ 2011-12-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I use a board created by some guys in the company where I`m a
internet. It uses the u-boot-1.1.6-mpc832x_rdb.spec file on ltib to
build it. And I do have the memory map for it - where in flash goes
what..

I thought some memory manipulation commands on boot could help me to
do a write over, but wasn`t able to find out how.

Meanwhile, I got usb tap and code warrior borrowed from one guy there
just to do this, but I really wish to not need to use this...

--
?rico V. Porto

* [U-Boot] about flashing the u-boot
@ 2011-12-15 22:34         ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2011-12-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 12/15/2011 04:29 PM, ?rico Porto wrote:
> I use a board created by some guys in the company where I`m a
> internet. It uses the u-boot-1.1.6-mpc832x_rdb.spec file on ltib to
> build it. And I do have the memory map for it - where in flash goes
> what..

I recommend just using the current mainline U-Boot from denx.de.

> I thought some memory manipulation commands on boot could help me to
> do a write over, but wasn`t able to find out how.
>
> Meanwhile, I got usb tap and code warrior borrowed from one guy there
> just to do this, but I really wish to not need to use this...

The benefit to using the usb tap the first time is that if you get it to
work once, know you can get it to work again if you need to recover.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] about flashing the u-boot
@ 2011-12-20  0:43           ` Érico Porto
From: Érico Porto @ 2011-12-20  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Got usb-tap to work, but ONLY with code warrior - and for some reason can
run it on ubuntu+unity but not on ubuntu+xfce, which loads everything
except the action button in the flash programmer where you select what you
will do: flash dump, erase, write...

Any open alternative to use usb tap or someone know where is the command
line tool that is used by the CW IDE?

If I find it out, I post it here...

?rico V. Porto

@ 2011-12-20 19:17             ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2011-12-20 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Please report this to support at freescale.com.

> Any open alternative to use usb tap

Abatron BDI3000 is a popular choice.

> or someone know where is the command line tool that is used by the CW IDE?

The command line backend is called CCS (not sure where in a typical
installation you'd find it) -- but the flash programming logic is in CW
itself, so if you want to do flash programming with CCS directly you'll
need to script it yourself.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] about flashing the u-boot
@ 2011-12-22 12:30               ` Érico Porto
From: Érico Porto @ 2011-12-22 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

thank you, found the ccs interactive shell, it is located in

/usr/local/Freescale/CodeWarrior_PA_10.1.1/PA/ccs/bin/ccs

I has many commands, has help commands in it, and also have
autocomplete feature with tab.

Just trying to find a command that let me connect to my usb tap.

Thank you!

--
?rico V. Porto

* [U-Boot] about flashing the u-boot