* btrfs/git question.
@ 2011-11-28 17:53 Ken D'Ambrosio
From: Ken D'Ambrosio @ 2011-11-28 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Seems I've picked up a wireless regression, and randomly drop my WiFi
connection with more recent kernels.  While I'd love to try to track down the
issue, the sporadic nature makes it difficult.  But I don't want to revert to a
flat-out old kernel because of all the btrfs modifications.  Is it possible
using git to add *just* btrfs patches to an older kernel?

Thanks,

-Ken

* Re: btrfs/git question.
@ 2011-11-29  1:58 ` Phillip Susi
From: Phillip Susi @ 2011-11-29  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken D'Ambrosio; +Cc: linux-btrfs

* Re: btrfs/git question.
@ 2011-11-29  2:33   ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2011-11-29  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken D'Ambrosio, linux-btrfs

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Phillip Susi <psusi@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 12:53 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>> Seems I've picked up a wireless regression, and randomly drop my WiF=
>> connection with more recent kernels. =A0While I'd love to try to tra=
ck down the
>> issue, the sporadic nature makes it difficult. =A0But I don't want t=
o revert to a
>> flat-out old kernel because of all the btrfs modifications. =A0Is it=
 possible
>> using git to add *just* btrfs patches to an older kernel?
>
> Sure: use git rebase to apply the patches to the older kernel.

=2E.. or use 3.1.2, and get ONLY fs/btrfs from Chris' for-linus tree,
compile it out-of-tree, and use it to replace the original btrfs.ko.

There used to be this:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/articles/b/t/r/Btrfs_source_repositories.=
html#Building_latest_btrfs_against_a_recent_kernel_with_DKMS

But personally it's much easier to just compile it manually without dkm=
s:
make -C /llib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=3D$(pwd) modules

--=20
=46ajar
in

* Re: btrfs/git question.
@ 2011-11-29 15:22     ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2011-11-29 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fajar A. Nugraha; +Cc: Ken D'Ambrosio, linux-btrfs

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:33:37AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Phillip Susi <psusi@cfl.rr.com> wrot=
e:
> > On 11/28/2011 12:53 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> >> Seems I've picked up a wireless regression, and randomly drop my W=
iFi
> >> connection with more recent kernels. =A0While I'd love to try to t=
rack down the
> >> issue, the sporadic nature makes it difficult. =A0But I don't want=
 to revert to a
> >> flat-out old kernel because of all the btrfs modifications. =A0Is =
it possible
> >> using git to add *just* btrfs patches to an older kernel?
> >
> > Sure: use git rebase to apply the patches to the older kernel.
>=20
> ... or use 3.1.2, and get ONLY fs/btrfs from Chris' for-linus tree,
> compile it out-of-tree, and use it to replace the original btrfs.ko.

If you're on a 3.1 kernel, you can pull my for-linus directly on top of
it with git pull.  I always keep a btrfs tree against the previous
kernel so that people can use the latest btrfs goodness without having
to use an rc kernel.

-chris
in

* Re: btrfs/git question.
@ 2011-11-30  6:20       ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2011-11-30  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason, Ken D'Ambrosio, linux-btrfs

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com> =
wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:33:37AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Phillip Susi <psusi@cfl.rr.com> wro=
te:
WiFi

>> > Sure: use git rebase to apply the patches to the older kernel.
>>
>> ... or use 3.1.2, and get ONLY fs/btrfs from Chris' for-linus tree,
>> compile it out-of-tree, and use it to replace the original btrfs.ko.
>
> If you're on a 3.1 kernel, you can pull my for-linus directly on top =
of
> it with git pull. =A0I always keep a btrfs tree against the previous
> kernel so that people can use the latest btrfs goodness without havin=
> to use an rc kernel.

Yes, thanks for that.

My suggestion is simply an alternative (instead of git pull) for people=
 who:
- aren't quite familiar with git, but know enough to grab a directory
snapshot from gitweb (e.g.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=3Dlinux/kernel/git/mason/linux-btrfs.git;a=3Dt=
ree;f=3Dfs/btrfs;h=3D5f51bd7e3b8b6c4825681408450e6580bdbccce1;hb=3Drefs=
/heads/for-linus)
- know how to build a module out-of-tree
- on the latest stable, but don't want to re-compile the whole kernel
just to get btrfs fix

--=20
=46ajar
in