* CrossPoolMigration
@ 2011-12-19  2:46 ruijin zhou
       [not found] ` <D14C52F5-9E35-43F1-9D0E-10336DB51BBD-8OfBkYuZ374@public.gmane.org>
From: ruijin zhou @ 2011-12-19  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi, Guys,

I recently found the following links about cross-pool migration:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/CrossPoolMigration

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/CrossPoolMigrationv2

I am interested in the research topic of live storage migration. And, I want to build something on Xen.

However, in recent Xen release I cannot find any code about live storage Migration. I found the above links, which have a 'to do list'. It seems that it just started.

Does anyone know when will we have the code for storage migration?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Ruijin

* Re: [Xen-devel] CrossPoolMigration
       [not found] ` <D14C52F5-9E35-43F1-9D0E-10336DB51BBD-8OfBkYuZ374@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-12-19  8:22   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
       [not found]     ` <20111219082207.GE12984-GxtO3QLqHcLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-12-19  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruijin zhou
  Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-api-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 09:46:10PM -0500, ruijin zhou wrote:
> Hi, Guys,

Hello,

> I recently found the following links about cross-pool migration:
>
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/CrossPoolMigration
>
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/CrossPoolMigrationv2
>
> I am interested in the research topic of live storage migration. And, I want to build something on Xen.
>
> However, in recent Xen release I cannot find any code about live storage Migration. I found the above links, which have a 'to do list'. It seems that it just started.
>
> Does anyone know when will we have the code for storage migration?
>
> Thank you very much.

I added xen-api mailinglist to CC ..

-- Pasi

@ 2011-12-20 19:39       ` Mike McClurg
From: Mike McClurg @ 2011-12-20 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen
  Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR, ruijin zhou,

On 19/12/11 08:22, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 09:46:10PM -0500, ruijin zhou wrote:
>> Hi, Guys,
>>

> Hello,
>
>> I recently found the following links about cross-pool migration:
>>
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/CrossPoolMigration
>>
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/CrossPoolMigrationv2
>>
>> I am interested in the research topic of live storage migration. And, I want to build something on Xen.
>>
>> However, in recent Xen release I cannot find any code about live storage Migration. I found the above links, which have a 'to do list'. It seems that it just started.
>>
>> Does anyone know when will we have the code for storage migration?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>

> I added xen-api mailinglist to CC ..

Thanks Pasi.

Hi Ruijin,

Storage motion is something that we are prototyping for XCP/XenServer.
It will not be a part of the Xen hypervisor. We'll probably start more
work on the prototype in January, and we'll post details of our
implementation plan to this list.

Mike

* Re: [Xen-API] CrossPoolMigration
@ 2011-12-21  3:10         ` Fajar A. Nugraha
       [not found]           ` <CAG1y0seAdN1RiNBmFw-cNrKwAzdi83HaaSGtfCei8JXy31xE2w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2011-12-21  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McClurg; +Cc: xen-devel, ruijin zhou, xen-api

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@citrix.com> wrote:
> Storage motion is something that we are prototyping for XCP/XenServer.
> It will not be a part of the Xen hypervisor. We'll probably start more
> work on the prototype in January, and we'll post details of our
> implementation plan to this list.

Is still based on drbd and tap, as in the wiki page? If yes, it'd be
... interesting (to say the least) to see how these issues will be
handled:
- space for drbd metadata:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-internals.html#s-metadata
- performance penalty and choice of replication modes:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-replication-protocols.html
- general tap issues (qdisk vs module, vanilla vs patched 2.6.32, etc.)

--
Fajar

@ 2011-12-21  8:39             ` Mike McClurg
From: Mike McClurg @ 2011-12-21  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fajar A. Nugraha
  Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR, ruijin zhou,

On 21/12/11 03:10, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg-Sxgqhf6Nn4DQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Storage motion is something that we are prototyping for XCP/XenServer.
>> It will not be a part of the Xen hypervisor. We'll probably start more
>> work on the prototype in January, and we'll post details of our
>> implementation plan to this list.
>
> Is still based on drbd and tap, as in the wiki page? If yes, it'd be
> ... interesting (to say the least) to see how these issues will be
> handled:
> - space for drbd metadata:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-internals.html#s-metadata
> - performance penalty and choice of replication modes:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-replication-protocols.html
> - general tap issues (qdisk vs module, vanilla vs patched 2.6.32, etc.)

Thanks for those links. No, the current plan is not to use DRBD, though
I can't remember the reasons that Dave decided against it.