* btrfsck integration with userlevel API for fsck
@ 2012-03-29 22:08 member graysky
From: member graysky @ 2012-03-29 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Are there plans to integrate btrfsck with the userlevel API for fsck?
AFAIK, it currently does not work as such (i.e. `shutdown -rF now`
does not trigger a check on the next boot).  What is the recommended
method to check a btrfs root filesystem?  Live media?

* Re: btrfsck integration with userlevel API for fsck
@ 2012-03-30  3:22 ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2012-03-30  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: member graysky; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:08 AM, member graysky <graysky@archlinux.us> =
wrote:
> Are there plans to integrate btrfsck with the userlevel API for fsck?

There isn't even a stable, working, fixing btrfsck yet :)

> AFAIK, it currently does not work as such (i.e. `shutdown -rF now`
> does not trigger a check on the next boot). =A0What is the recommende=
> method to check a btrfs root filesystem? =A0Live media?

Currently? None. Set the last part of root line in fstab to "0" to
disable fsck.
Newer kernels should be smart enough to recover from unclean shutdown
automatically, kinda like what zfs does, or what ext3/4 does with its
journal replay.

--=20
=46ajar
in

* Re: btrfsck integration with userlevel API for fsck
@ 2012-03-30 20:35   ` Avi Miller
From: Avi Miller @ 2012-03-30 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fajar A. Nugraha; +Cc: member graysky, linux-btrfs

On 30/03/2012, at 2:22 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:08 AM, member graysky <graysky@archlinux.us> wrote:
>> Are there plans to integrate btrfsck with the userlevel API for fsck?
>
> There isn't even a stable, working, fixing btrfsck yet :)

Yes, there is. Chris merged the btrfsck changes into the btrfs-progs master in git a few days ago and we shipped it with the Oracle Linux UEK2 update as well.

Cheers,
Avi

---
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Principal Program Manager | +61 (412) 229 687
Oracle Linux and Virtualization

* Re: btrfsck integration with userlevel API for fsck
@ 2012-03-30 21:23     ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2012-03-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Miller; +Cc: member graysky, linux-btrfs

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Avi Miller <avi.miller@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 30/03/2012, at 2:22 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:08 AM, member graysky <graysky@archlinux.us> wrote:
>>> Are there plans to integrate btrfsck with the userlevel API for fsck?
>>
>> There isn't even a stable, working, fixing btrfsck yet :)
>
> Yes, there is. Chris merged the btrfsck changes into the btrfs-progs master in git a few days ago and we shipped it with the Oracle Linux UEK2 update as well.

Ah, OK. I must've missed the announcement. Thanks for the update.

Now if only UEK2 fully supports LXC as well instead of tech preview ... :D

--
Fajar