* Bug: "blkid -o list" output formating is broken
@ 2018-06-06 14:50 Dominik Heidler
From: Dominik Heidler @ 2018-06-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux

Hi,

when I run "blkid -o list" on a terminal with width >= 178 chars
the output will be broken:
https://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/84899108

It will shift the table output and create longer lines than the
terminal width generating linebreaks and breaking the readability of
the table.

I was able to reproduce this issue with util-linux-2.32.

Regards,
Dominik

* Re: Bug: "blkid -o list" output formating is broken
@ 2018-06-07  9:35 ` Sami Kerola
From: Sami Kerola @ 2018-06-07  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominik Heidler; +Cc: util-linux

On 6 June 2018 at 15:50, Dominik Heidler <dheidler@suse.de> wrote:
> when I run "blkid -o list" on a terminal with width >= 178 chars
> the output will be broken:
> https://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/84899108
>
> It will shift the table output and create longer lines than the
> terminal width generating linebreaks and breaking the readability of
> the table.
>
> I was able to reproduce this issue with util-linux-2.32.

Hi Dominik,

>From bklid(8) manual page:

  It is recommended to use lsblk(8) command to get information about block
  devices, or lsblk --fs to get an overview of filesystems, or findmnt(8) to
  search in already mounted filesystems.

  lsblk(8) provides more information, better control on output formatting,
  easy to use in scripts and it does not require root permissions to get
  actual information. <and so on>

Notice that the manual page also has marked --output=list deprecated
in favour of the lsblk(8) command. So it is _very_ unlikely changes to
that output format are accepted by Karel who maintains the project.
That basically means bugs in that format are now features.

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/

* Re: Bug: "blkid -o list" output formating is broken
@ 2018-06-12 10:24   ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2018-06-12 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kerolasa; +Cc: Dominik Heidler, util-linux

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 10:35:52AM +0100, Sami Kerola wrote:
> On 6 June 2018 at 15:50, Dominik Heidler <dheidler@suse.de> wrote:
> > when I run "blkid -o list" on a terminal with width >= 178 chars
> > the output will be broken:
> > https://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/84899108
> >
> > It will shift the table output and create longer lines than the
> > terminal width generating linebreaks and breaking the readability of
> > the table.
> >
> > I was able to reproduce this issue with util-linux-2.32.
>
> Hi Dominik,
>
> From bklid(8) manual page:
>
>   It is recommended to use lsblk(8) command to get information about block
>   devices, or lsblk --fs to get an overview of filesystems, or findmnt(8) to
>   search in already mounted filesystems.
>
>   lsblk(8) provides more information, better control on output formatting,
>   easy to use in scripts and it does not require root permissions to get
>   actual information. <and so on>
>
> Notice that the manual page also has marked --output=list deprecated
> in favour of the lsblk(8) command. So it is _very_ unlikely changes to
> that output format are accepted by Karel who maintains the project.
> That basically means bugs in that format are now features.

Yes, it seems bad idea to invest time to --output=list if we have
libsmartcols based solutions.

"lsblk --fs" is better solution. blkid(8) is there for backward
compatibility and to have a way how to test libblkid probing code
(-p).

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>