* Incorrect mesh path seq num
@ 2017-09-01  6:30 Greg Maitz
From: Greg Maitz @ 2017-09-01  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi guys,

I'm seeing a problem when I work on the wireless mesh between two
linux devices. The root node has 3.18 kernel while the next hop
station runs 2.6.37 kernel. I found the mpath->sn value is incorrect
most of the time on the device having 2.6.37 kernel. After examining
the code, in function hwmp_route_info_get [mesh_hwmp.c], after
mesh_path_lookup, the sequence number (i.e, mpath->sn) is incorrect.
For instance, I see mpath->sn having value 0x30950000. It should be
0x9530, while the orig_sn is having value 0x9531. This results in the
last hop metric to become zero in function mesh_rx_path_sel_frame and
hwmp_preq_frame_process doesn't get called. Is this a known problem?
Can anyone provide suggestions to debug further?

* Re: Incorrect mesh path seq num
@ 2017-09-01 20:07 ` Thomas Pedersen
From: Thomas Pedersen @ 2017-09-01 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Maitz; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Greg Maitz <ghh19622@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm seeing a problem when I work on the wireless mesh between two
> linux devices. The root node has 3.18 kernel while the next hop
> station runs 2.6.37 kernel. I found the mpath->sn value is incorrect
> most of the time on the device having 2.6.37 kernel. After examining
> the code, in function hwmp_route_info_get [mesh_hwmp.c], after
> mesh_path_lookup, the sequence number (i.e, mpath->sn) is incorrect.
> For instance, I see mpath->sn having value 0x30950000. It should be
> 0x9530, while the orig_sn is having value 0x9531.

Looks like an endianess bug. Are you testing on two platforms of
different endianess?

--
thomas

* Re: Incorrect mesh path seq num
@ 2017-09-04 13:19   ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2017-09-04 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Pedersen, Greg Maitz; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Fri, 2017-09-01 at 13:07 -0700, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Greg Maitz <ghh19622@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm seeing a problem when I work on the wireless mesh between two
> > linux devices. The root node has 3.18 kernel while the next hop
> > station runs 2.6.37 kernel. I found the mpath->sn value is
> > incorrect
> > most of the time on the device having 2.6.37 kernel. After
> > examining
> > the code, in function hwmp_route_info_get [mesh_hwmp.c], after
> > mesh_path_lookup, the sequence number (i.e, mpath->sn) is
> > incorrect.
> > For instance, I see mpath->sn having value 0x30950000. It should be
> > 0x9530, while the orig_sn is having value 0x9531.
>
> Looks like an endianess bug. Are you testing on two platforms of
> different endianess?

Even if that's the case, wouldn't it mean some kind of conversion is
missing somewhere?

johannes

* Re: Incorrect mesh path seq num
@ 2017-09-08 19:58     ` Thomas Pedersen
From: Thomas Pedersen @ 2017-09-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Greg Maitz, linux-wireless

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-09-01 at 13:07 -0700, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Greg Maitz <ghh19622@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > I'm seeing a problem when I work on the wireless mesh between two
>> > linux devices. The root node has 3.18 kernel while the next hop
>> > station runs 2.6.37 kernel. I found the mpath->sn value is
>> > incorrect
>> > most of the time on the device having 2.6.37 kernel. After
>> > examining
>> > the code, in function hwmp_route_info_get [mesh_hwmp.c], after
>> > mesh_path_lookup, the sequence number (i.e, mpath->sn) is
>> > incorrect.
>> > For instance, I see mpath->sn having value 0x30950000. It should be
>> > 0x9530, while the orig_sn is having value 0x9531.
>>
>> Looks like an endianess bug. Are you testing on two platforms of
>> different endianess?
>
> Even if that's the case, wouldn't it mean some kind of conversion is
> missing somewhere?

Yes. I looked for a missing conversion, but couldn't find it.

Greg, where / how are you printing mpath->sn? mpath dump or a printk you added?

--
thomas

* Re: Incorrect mesh path seq num
@ 2018-05-07  4:40       ` Greg Maitz
From: Greg Maitz @ 2018-05-07  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Pedersen; +Cc: Johannes Berg, linux-wireless

Yes, I confirmed it to be due to mismatched structures of
ieee80211_rann_ie between the two versions. Issue resolved.