* How to override default Kernel config
@ 2018-07-03  9:48 Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-07-03  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

I would like to enable a specific Kernel config in my machine.
I don't want to modify the 'defconfig'

Could anyone tell me how to do?

Thanks.
BRs,
Henbin.

* Re: How to override default Kernel config
@ 2018-07-04  1:39 ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2018-07-04  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 張漢彬; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> I would like to enable a specific Kernel config in my machine.
> I don't want to modify the 'defconfig'
>
> Could anyone tell me how to do?

Please refer to machine-layer recipes, e.g. meta-romulus' linux recipe:
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/tree/master/meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/recipes-kernel/linux

* Re: How to override default Kernel config
@ 2018-07-04  2:03   ` Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-07-04  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Thanks Lei Yu.

Actually, I want to enable CONFIG_DEVMEM in my specific machine.
I added the below config to my machine.cfg
CONFIG_DEVMEM=y
CONFIG_HWMON=y
CONFIG_SENSORS_TMP421=y

But I still saw the line in the ".config" after devtool modify linux-aspeed.
# CONFIG_DEVMEM is not set

How should I do?

Thanks.

@ 2018-07-04  2:06     ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2018-07-04  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 張漢彬; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 10:03 AM Henbin Chang <henbinchang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Lei Yu.
>
> Actually, I want to enable CONFIG_DEVMEM in my specific machine.
> I added the below config to my machine.cfg
> CONFIG_DEVMEM=y
> CONFIG_HWMON=y
> CONFIG_SENSORS_TMP421=y
>
> But I still saw the line in the ".config" after devtool modify linux-aspeed.
> # CONFIG_DEVMEM is not set
>
> How should I do?

OK, you are using devtool. Then the simplest you can do is to reset and
modify the recipe again:

    devtool reset linux-aspeed
    # Manullay delete the linux-aspeed dir in workspace

@ 2018-07-04  2:20       ` Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-07-04  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Lei Yu,

After following your instructions, the CONFIG_DEVMEM is still not set in
the below '.config'

workspace/sources/linux-aspeed/.config

It did work if I directly
modified meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed/ast2500/defconfig

Thanks.

@ 2018-07-04  2:34         ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2018-07-04  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 張漢彬; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> After following your instructions, the CONFIG_DEVMEM is still not set in the below '.config'
>
> workspace/sources/linux-aspeed/.config
>
> It did work if I directly modified meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed/ast2500/defconfig

Then you need to make sure if your build config include the machine layer by
checking the build configuration.

E.g. below is meta-romulus' configuration, check if your meta-machine is
correctly included.

    Build Configuration:
    meta
    meta-poky
    meta-oe
    meta-networking
    meta-perl
    meta-python
    meta-webserver
    meta-virtualization
    meta-phosphor
    meta-aspeed
    meta-openpower
    meta-ibm
    meta-romulus   <== Your meta-machine should appear here.

Btw, what is your machine, is it in OpenBMC tree?

* Re: How to override default Kernel config
@ 2018-07-04  2:57           ` Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-07-04  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

My machine isn't in the OpenBMC tree.

I list the partial contents in my machine layer
  meta-aspeed \
  meta-x86 \
  meta-x86/meta-mct \
  meta-x86/meta-mct/meta-tiogapass \ -> the last line in the bblayers.conf

In the merge_config_build.log, I find the merging sequence is the below
  Using .kernel-meta/configs//./tiogapass.cfg as base
  Merging .kernel-meta/configs//./phosphor-gpio-keys.cfg
  Merging .kernel-meta/configs//./phosphor-gpio-keys.cfg
  Merging .kernel-meta/configs//./phosphor-vlan.cfg
  Merging .kernel-meta/configs//./phosphor-vlan.cfg
  Merging .kernel-meta/configs//./phosphor-wdt-on-panic.cfg
  Merging .kernel-meta/configs//./phosphor-wdt-on-panic.cfg
  Merging .kernel-meta/configs//./defconfig

Suppose the CONFIG_DEVMEM=y is removed while 'Merging

@ 2018-07-04  5:47             ` Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-07-04  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist