* [U-Boot] Broadwell-DE bare metal
@ 2017-10-03 14:58 vnktux
From: vnktux @ 2017-10-03 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

For my graduation project my company asked to use U-Boot as bare metal boot-loader on one of their product. The product in an embedded board with a Xeon Broadwell-DE D-1527 Quad Core. The current boot-loader consist of Coreboot + U-Boot, but of course they want to get rid of Coreboot. I have almost no experience with U-Boot (Just with ARM processor a little bit) and so far I don't even know if it's possible or not to achieve the final goal. What I have understood is that I need the following binary blobs to work: fsp.bin, vga.bin, descriptor.bin, me.bin, microcode.bin. Is it true? Can somebody point me in the right direction because I am a little bit lost?  Plus I don't see many x86 boards implemented in the source code of U-Boot.

Best regards,
Vincenzo

* [U-Boot] Broadwell-DE bare metal
@ 2017-10-05  9:25 ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2017-10-05  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:58 PM, vnktux <vnktux@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For my graduation project my company asked to use U-Boot as bare metal boot-loader on one of their product. The product in an embedded board with a Xeon Broadwell-DE D-1527 Quad Core. The current boot-loader consist of Coreboot + U-Boot, but of course they want to get rid of Coreboot. I have almost no experience with U-Boot (Just with ARM processor a little bit) and so far I don't even know if it's possible or not to achieve the final goal. What I have understood is that I need the following binary blobs to work: fsp.bin, vga.bin, descriptor.bin, me.bin, microcode.bin. Is it true? Can somebody point me in the right direction because I am a little bit lost?  Plus I don't see many x86 boards implemented in the source code of U-Boot.

So far Broadwell-DE is not supported in U-Boot. However it is on my todo list.

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] Broadwell-DE bare metal
@ 2017-10-05  9:43   ` vnktux
From: vnktux @ 2017-10-05  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Bin,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Is there something I can do to help you? I mean that's my graduation project and I will have to work on it either I succed or not, and here I have available hardware aswell.

Best regards,
Vincenzo

@ 2017-10-05 11:21     ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2017-10-05 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 5:43 PM, vnktux <vnktux@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bin,
>
> Thanks a lot for the reply. Is there something I can do to help you? I mean
> that's my graduation project and I will have to work on it either I succed
> or not, and here I have available hardware aswell.

If you can't wait, you can start trying to port U-Boot on your
Broadwell-DE board, and I can help review. Thanks!

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] Broadwell-DE bare metal
@ 2017-10-05 11:27       ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-10-05 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> So far Broadwell-DE is not supported in U-Boot. However it is on my todo
list.

Excellent thread! Just what I needed, and was thinking to enter! ;-)

What will be the architecture of this porting effort? The same question as
I have asked an hour ago for ATOM E3900/APL-I.

Thank you in advance,
Zoran Stojsavljevic
_______

@ 2017-10-09 14:43 ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2017-10-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On 3 October 2017 at 08:58, vnktux <vnktux@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For my graduation project my company asked to use U-Boot as bare metal boot-loader on one of their product. The product in an embedded board with a Xeon Broadwell-DE D-1527 Quad Core. The current boot-loader consist of Coreboot + U-Boot, but of course they want to get rid of Coreboot. I have almost no experience with U-Boot (Just with ARM processor a little bit) and so far I don't even know if it's possible or not to achieve the final goal. What I have understood is that I need the following binary blobs to work: fsp.bin, vga.bin, descriptor.bin, me.bin, microcode.bin. Is it true? Can somebody point me in the right direction because I am a little bit lost?  Plus I don't see many x86 boards implemented in the source code of U-Boot.

The original U-Boot payload support was done with Broadwell-DE (I'm
not sure which one though). It allows U-Boot to boot from EFI.

For what you want, yes you will need to obtain various binary blobs.
Hopefully you can get the FSP from Intel, and with that the work
required in U-Boot is probably not too large. Although I'm sure that
the FSP API will have changed a little.

Regards,
Simon

@ 2017-10-09 16:32   ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-10-09 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

 > It allows U-Boot to boot from EFI.

This is a true art of overkill... Really.

Full EFI (around 1 to 2 million lines of code: SEC, PEI, DXE phases, with
ME HECI involved, altogether) -> U-Boot -> YOCTO. Wow. ;-)

Zoran

@ 2017-10-09 23:29     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2017-10-09 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On 9 October 2017 at 10:32, Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:

>  > It allows U-Boot to boot from EFI.
>
> This is a true art of overkill... Really.
>
> Full EFI (around 1 to 2 million lines of code: SEC, PEI, DXE phases, with ME HECI involved, altogether) -> U-Boot -> YOCTO. Wow. ;-)

Yes but at the time there was no FSP. I suspect now it would not be needed.

(BTW as this is a mailing list, please avoid top-posting)

Regards,
Simon

@ 2017-10-10  3:34       ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-10-10  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> Yes but at the time there was no FSP. I suspect now it would not be
needed.

What about booting times? How long it'll take to boot EFI -> U-Boot -> OS
loader -> init process on x86?

My best guess at least/minimum 10s. Did anybody measure the booting time?

Thank you,
Zoran

@ 2017-10-10  3:40         ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2017-10-10  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Zoran,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes but at the time there was no FSP. I suspect now it would not be
> needed.
>
> What about booting times? How long it'll take to boot EFI -> U-Boot -> OS
> loader -> init process on x86?
>
> My best guess at least/minimum 10s. Did anybody measure the booting time?

I thought we were discussing U-Boot running as bare metal on the x86
processor. Booting U-Boot from a UEFI BIOS is nice, but that's not the
main usage for U-Boot x86.

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] Broadwell-DE bare metal
@ 2017-10-10  3:53           ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-10-10  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Bin,

You understood me, seems, perfectly. And this is what I am talking about
here.

The whole story told by Andy (Shevchenko) as RE: to my other thread does
not stand, just because of the booting times.

But I need Andy's story (further) to investigate, and have currently no any
spare/free time. But I will later.

And, BTW, you addressed me (wrongly). You should address Simon. To be
politically correct. ;-)

Thank you,
Zoran

@ 2017-10-10  5:08             ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2017-10-10  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Zoran,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Bin,
>
> You understood me, seems, perfectly. And this is what I am talking about
> here.
>
> The whole story told by Andy (Shevchenko) as RE: to my other thread does not
> stand, just because of the booting times.
>
> But I need Andy's story (further) to investigate, and have currently no any
> spare/free time. But I will later.
>
> And, BTW, you addressed me (wrongly). You should address Simon. To be
> politically correct. ;-)

Please avoid top-posting..

What project are you doing currently for the investigation?

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] Broadwell-DE bare metal
@ 2017-10-10  6:34               ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-10-10  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> What project are you doing currently for the investigation?

I did some E3900/APL-I investigation, back a year ago. Built Coreboot with
FSP 2.0, and used as payload SeaBIOS.

Did not like the methodology, especially if it comes to YOCTO via U-boot,
as payload. Does not sound correctly.

Now, I am doing some serious projects with ARM, U-Boot and YOCTO, but x86
stays still a mystery with the SEC + lower part od PEI (in other words FSP)
for Embedded/IoT.

Stays a mystery for years. For years I am trying to make some
viable/meaningful architecture while I worked with x86.

Nowadays, a i am in the same shoes as Andy, doing this investigation mostly
for myself. But this stays to be main obstacle with U-Boot. With IoTG
community, I should say.

Well... And I am really now having you on my radar, since the job you'll do
is not an easy one. And... Looking forward to read/experience more about
your x86 U-Boot bare metal porting.

Thank you for an effort,
Zoran

@ 2017-10-10 12:29   ` vnktux
From: vnktux @ 2017-10-10 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. I already have all the necessary blobs from the current working implementation with Coreboot + U-Boot: FPS, ME, Microcode, Flash Descriptor, VGA Rom.

To start porting I was planning to copy all the files of the board minnowmax and rename it with the name of our product. I saw that minnowmax use FSP 1.0 exactly like Broadwell-DE. I hope that helps.

@ 2017-10-10 16:47     ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-10-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> To start porting I was planning to copy all the files of the board
minnowmax and rename it with the name of our product.
> I saw that minnowmax use FSP 1.0 exactly like Broadwell-DE. I hope that
helps.

You might want to join Coreboot mailing list. I am 1000% sure this will
help you far beyond your expectations.

Zoran