* [RFC] Following RT Linux Upstream Development
@ 2021-10-11  0:55 Joseph Salisbury
From: Joseph Salisbury @ 2021-10-11  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Per the RTL Project wiki[0], patches for PREEMPT_RT should be sent to
LKML with the option to CC this mailing list.

As most of you know, LKML receives a lot of mail everyday.  I'm
interested in following the RT Linux Project as closely as possible,
but I would like to filter out non RT related messages on LKML.  Has
anyone found a way to do this? Are there any suggestions to filter RT
Linux messages out of all the other LKML mail?

Thanks,

Joe

[0] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/communication/send_rt_patches

* Re: [RFC] Following RT Linux Upstream Development
@ 2021-10-11  5:53 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-10-11  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Salisbury; +Cc: linux-rt-users

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 3:17 AM Joseph Salisbury
<josephtsalisbury@gmail.com> wrote:

> Per the RTL Project wiki[0], patches for PREEMPT_RT should be sent to
> LKML with the option to CC this mailing list.
>
> As most of you know, LKML receives a lot of mail everyday.  I'm
> interested in following the RT Linux Project as closely as possible,
> but I would like to filter out non RT related messages on LKML.  Has
> anyone found a way to do this? Are there any suggestions to filter RT
> Linux messages out of all the other LKML mail?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Joe,

A quick answer: just subscribe to this mailing list and you will get a
smaller list of patches in your inbox that are related to real-time
Linux issues, but this is not really a complete list of ongoing work
for mainlining.

But further just to clarify this mportant point:

RT Linux is not a much separate thing from the mainline Linux; most
development of getting the last bits and pieces accepted just go to
the needed lists, e.g., the printk rework (see
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210803131301.5588-1-john.ogness@linutronix.de/),
was sent to LKML, but not to this list here. Maybe this is a good
heuristics for you: If a complete view of patches under discussion and
review is really important to you, you might just identify the names
of the core Real-time Linux Team and filter all emails from this team
on all linux-kernel mailing lists, which can be done quite easily with
lore.kernel.org nowadays. Otherwise, try to identify all the topics
under work for Real-time Linux, e.g., by looking at the remaining
PREEMPT_RT patchset, and follow exactly those on the mailing list.

Lukas

@ 2021-10-12  3:09   ` Joseph Salisbury
From: Joseph Salisbury @ 2021-10-12  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-rt-users

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 1:54 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 3:17 AM Joseph Salisbury
> <josephtsalisbury@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Per the RTL Project wiki[0], patches for PREEMPT_RT should be sent to
> > LKML with the option to CC this mailing list.
> >
> > As most of you know, LKML receives a lot of mail everyday.  I'm
> > interested in following the RT Linux Project as closely as possible,
> > but I would like to filter out non RT related messages on LKML.  Has
> > anyone found a way to do this? Are there any suggestions to filter RT
> > Linux messages out of all the other LKML mail?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joe
> >

> Joe,
>
> A quick answer: just subscribe to this mailing list and you will get a
> smaller list of patches in your inbox that are related to real-time
> Linux issues, but this is not really a complete list of ongoing work
> for mainlining.
>
> But further just to clarify this mportant point:
>
> RT Linux is not a much separate thing from the mainline Linux; most
> development of getting the last bits and pieces accepted just go to
> the needed lists, e.g., the printk rework (see
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210803131301.5588-1-john.ogness@linutronix.de/),
> was sent to LKML, but not to this list here. Maybe this is a good
> heuristics for you: If a complete view of patches under discussion and
> review is really important to you, you might just identify the names
> of the core Real-time Linux Team and filter all emails from this team
> on all linux-kernel mailing lists, which can be done quite easily with
> lore.kernel.org nowadays. Otherwise, try to identify all the topics
> under work for Real-time Linux, e.g., by looking at the remaining
> PREEMPT_RT patchset, and follow exactly those on the mailing list.
>
> Lukas
>

> > [0] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/communication/send_rt_patches

Thanks for the feedback, Lukas!  Your suggestions will really help.

Joe