* Using Pre Built Toolchain in Yocto Tree
@ 2015-03-13 11:43 Darshan Patel
From: Darshan Patel @ 2015-03-13 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Is there a way to configure Yocto to use Pre Built toolchain (like
downloaded from CodeSourcery, etc.). I want to avoid building toolchain
because it takes too much time and using new toolchain is not of my concern.

I was using this feature in buildroot.

Thanks in Advance!!!

--
Regards
Darshan

* Re: Using Pre Built Toolchain in Yocto Tree
@ 2015-03-13 13:50 ` Maxin John
From: Maxin John @ 2015-03-13 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darshan Patel; +Cc: yocto

Hi Darshan,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Darshan Patel <darsh.jp@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to configure Yocto to use Pre Built toolchain (like
> downloaded from CodeSourcery, etc.). I want to avoid building toolchain
> because it takes too much time and using new toolchain is not of my concern.
>
> I was using this feature in buildroot.

Download the pre-built toolchain from here:
http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.7/toolchain/

eg: armv7 toolchain for an x86_64 host machine  -

# wget http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.7/toolchain/x86_64/poky-glibc-x86_64-core-image-sato-armv7a-vfp-neon-toolchain-1.7.sh
# sudo sh poky-glibc-x86_64-core-image-sato-armv7a-vfp-neon-toolchain-1.7.sh
# source /opt/poky/1.7/environment-setup-armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi

# arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc hello.c

> Thanks in Advance!!!
>
> Regards
> Darshan

Best Regards,
Maxin

* Re: Using Pre Built Toolchain in Yocto Tree
@ 2015-03-13 14:02   ` Maxin John
From: Maxin John @ 2015-03-13 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darshan Patel; +Cc: yocto

Hi Darshan,

On a second thought, feels like I misunderstood your question. Please
refer these:

a) http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#optionally-using-an-external-toolchain
b) http://elinux.org/images/c/c8/ExternalToolchainsInYocto.pdf
c) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZpKbSHRJro

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Maxin John <maxin@maxinbjohn.info> wrote:
> Hi Darshan,
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Darshan Patel <darsh.jp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way to configure Yocto to use Pre Built toolchain (like
>> downloaded from CodeSourcery, etc.). I want to avoid building toolchain
>> because it takes too much time and using new toolchain is not of my concern.
>>
>> I was using this feature in buildroot.
>
> Download the pre-built toolchain from here:
> http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.7/toolchain/
>
> eg: armv7 toolchain for an x86_64 host machine  -
>
> # wget http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-1.7/toolchain/x86_64/poky-glibc-x86_64-core-image-sato-armv7a-vfp-neon-toolchain-1.7.sh
> # sudo sh poky-glibc-x86_64-core-image-sato-armv7a-vfp-neon-toolchain-1.7.sh
> # source /opt/poky/1.7/environment-setup-armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi
>
> # arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc hello.c
>
>> Thanks in Advance!!!
>>
>> Regards
>> Darshan

Best Regards,
Maxin

* Re: Using Pre Built Toolchain in Yocto Tree
@ 2015-03-13 14:47 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2015-03-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 3/13/15 6:43 AM, Darshan Patel wrote:
> Is there a way to configure Yocto to use Pre Built toolchain (like downloaded
> from CodeSourcery, etc.). I want to avoid building toolchain because it takes
> too much time and using new toolchain is not of my concern.

If you wish to use the Mentor Sourcery toolchain, they have a layer available
that allows you to incorporate it.

https://github.com/MentorEmbedded/meta-sourcery

I have not used this layer in a while (and I don't work for Mentor), so if you
have questions you may need to find someone who is more familiar with the layer.

There is another alternative though.  Build the toolchain once, store the
sstate-cache files that were generated and use those on subsequent builds.
There is a mechanism called the locked sstate-cache where you can feed into your
configuration the hashes for the sstate-cache item you are interested in.  This
will tell the system to simply re-use the components, and ignore any system
changes that may have occurred.

--Mark

@ 2015-03-13 15:03   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2015-03-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2015-03-13 08:47, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 3/13/15 6:43 AM, Darshan Patel wrote:
>> Is there a way to configure Yocto to use Pre Built toolchain (like downloaded
>> from CodeSourcery, etc.). I want to avoid building toolchain because it takes
>> too much time and using new toolchain is not of my concern.
>
> If you wish to use the Mentor Sourcery toolchain, they have a layer available
> that allows you to incorporate it.
>
> https://github.com/MentorEmbedded/meta-sourcery
>
> I have not used this layer in a while (and I don't work for Mentor), so if you
> have questions you may need to find someone who is more familiar with the layer.
>

> There is another alternative though.  Build the toolchain once, store the
> sstate-cache files that were generated and use those on subsequent builds.
> There is a mechanism called the locked sstate-cache where you can feed into your
> configuration the hashes for the sstate-cache item you are interested in.  This
> will tell the system to simply re-use the components, and ignore any system
> changes that may have occurred.

Could you elaborate on this (locked sstate-cache)?  I don't see any
mention of it in the documentation.