* Moving RAID1 disks between systems
@ 2013-05-24 16:53 Jim Santos
From: Jim Santos @ 2013-05-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,

Let's say that two people each have a system with a RAID1 array made
up of two disks
(/dev/sda & /dev/sdb).  Now let's say that one of the systems
experiences a failure that
keeps it from being able to be started (e.g. blown motherboard).  Is
there a way to get the
data off of the failed system's disks after putting them in the
working system?  It seems to
me that the disk device names stored in the superblock are going to
conflict with the device
names of the existing disks.  But then again, I'm not a SW RAID expert ;-)

TIA

* Re: Moving RAID1 disks between systems
@ 2013-05-24 18:30 ` Drew
From: Drew @ 2013-05-24 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Santos; +Cc: linux-raid

Hi Jim,

You should have no troubles reassembling the array on a new machine.
From what I understand, md raid doesn't depend on device names for
assembling arrays, it has some internal UUID's to distinguish which
array a member disk belongs to.

mdadm --assemble --scan is pretty much all you need (and won't break
anything in the process)

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

"This started out as a hobby and spun horribly out of control."
-Unknown

* Re: Moving RAID1 disks between systems
@ 2013-05-24 21:58   ` Jim Santos
From: Jim Santos @ 2013-05-24 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew; +Cc: linux-raid

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Drew <drew.kay@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> You should have no troubles reassembling the array on a new machine.
> From what I understand, md raid doesn't depend on device names for
> assembling arrays, it has some internal UUID's to distinguish which
> array a member disk belongs to.
>
> mdadm --assemble --scan is pretty much all you need (and won't break
> anything in the process)

Is there a way to rename md devices?  It would be useful in general and
maybe necessary if assembling the arrays from the other system causes
md device name collisions

* Re: Moving RAID1 disks between systems
@ 2013-05-25 19:44     ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2013-05-25 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Santos; +Cc: linux-raid, Drew

> > You should have no troubles reassembling the array on a new machine.
> > From what I understand, md raid doesn't depend on device names for
> > assembling arrays, it has some internal UUID's to distinguish which
> > array a member disk belongs to.
> >
> > mdadm --assemble --scan is pretty much all you need (and won't break
> > anything in the process)
> >

> Is there a way to rename md devices? It would be useful in general and
> maybe necessary if assembling the arrays from the other system causes
> md device name collisions

if you mean device name, it's configured in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf or similar (varies a bit between distros). that should hold the device name and its UUID

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk