From: Julian Calaby <julian.calaby@gmail.com>
To: Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org>
Cc: Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com>,
	"John W. Linville" <linville@tuxdriver.com>,
	Joe Perches <joe@perches.com>,
	linux-wireless <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>,
	kbuild test robot <lkp@intel.com>,
	kernel-janitors <kernel-janitors@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: wireless-drivers: random cleanup patches piling up
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 20:42:09 +1100	[thread overview]

Hi Kalle,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org> wrote:
> Julian Calaby <julian.calaby@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Kalle,

>>> They are in deferred state. The search functionality in patchwork is not
>>> that intuitive and they are not easy to find so here's a direct link:
>>>
>>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/?state=10&order=date
>>
>> I'm currently going through that list and producing a bundle of
>> "applyable" patches.
>
> Nice.

Thanks, I figured that checking the deferred list on patchwork at some
point would be a good plan. After a release seemed like a good time to
do it.

>> My criteria is:
>> 1. The change is sane.
>> 2. It's either obviously correct, I can review it, or someone else has
>> reviewed or acked it.
>> 3. No changes other than rebasing and fixing commit messages are
>> required to apply it.
>
> BTW, 'git am -s -3' is the best way to apply a patch. The three way
> merge is awesome (if the submitter has sent the patch correctly).
>
>> Some of these patches need work on their commit messages, some are
>> complicated enough that I feel I should be providing review notes so
>> someone else can double check my review, and all of them should be
>> rebased and compile tested. Also, some are controversial, so I'll be
>> segregating them from the main set.
>>
>> How would you like me to communicate this list to you? I'm happy to
>> provide branches you can pull from or I could just post updated
>> versions to the list and give reviewed-by tags to those that don't
>> need more work.
>>
>> Every patch will get an email on linux-wireless regardless.
>
> I guess posting the patches to linux-wireless is the easiest for
> everyone? I have a script which automatically takes patches from
> patchwork so that's very easy for me. But remember to use Signed-off-by
> instead of Reviewed-by as you are resending the patches.

If they end up being exactly identical to the original, I'll just add
reviewed-bys to the original patches, otherwise I'll do exactly that.

> Thanks you, your help here is very much appreciated.

No problem!

--
Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby@gmail.com