* Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-10 22:00 ` Matthew Giassa
From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-10 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-hardening, kvm

Good day,

I am a volunteer developer taking up a project originally proposed by
Rik van Riel, "rootkit detection using virtualization", and am
planning to contribute regularly to this project over the coming
months. I was advised to contact these mailing lists to introduce
myself, and I also wanted to inquire about any existing projects that
coincide with this work. My initial work will involved diving into KVM
+ qemu source and deciding how best to approach the problem. While I
have the attention of list members, are there any specific
individuals/groups I should contact directly with respect to this type
of project?

Thank you.

Matthew Giassa

* [kernel-hardening] Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-10 22:00 ` Matthew Giassa
From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-10 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-hardening, kvm

Good day,

I am a volunteer developer taking up a project originally proposed by
Rik van Riel, "rootkit detection using virtualization", and am
planning to contribute regularly to this project over the coming
months. I was advised to contact these mailing lists to introduce
myself, and I also wanted to inquire about any existing projects that
coincide with this work. My initial work will involved diving into KVM
+ qemu source and deciding how best to approach the problem. While I
have the attention of list members, are there any specific
individuals/groups I should contact directly with respect to this type
of project?

Thank you.

Matthew Giassa

* Re: Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-10 23:14   ` Jidong Xiao
From: Jidong Xiao @ 2017-02-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM

Hi, Matthew,

"Rootkit detection using virtualization" has been widely studied for a
decade. Is the approach you are going to use different from all of these
existing ones?

https://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/hliao6/projects/other/os_survey.pdf

-Jidong

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am a volunteer developer taking up a project originally proposed by
> Rik van Riel, "rootkit detection using virtualization", and am
> planning to contribute regularly to this project over the coming
> months. I was advised to contact these mailing lists to introduce
> myself, and I also wanted to inquire about any existing projects that
> coincide with this work. My initial work will involved diving into KVM
> + qemu source and deciding how best to approach the problem. While I
> have the attention of list members, are there any specific
> individuals/groups I should contact directly with respect to this type
> of project?
>
> Thank you.

> Matthew Giassa

* [kernel-hardening] Re: Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-10 23:14   ` Jidong Xiao
From: Jidong Xiao @ 2017-02-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM

@ 2017-02-10 23:18   ` Jidong Xiao
From: Jidong Xiao @ 2017-02-10 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM

Sorry, I have to resend this again, as the original two emails were blocked
because of the url.

"Rootkit detection using virtualization" has been widely studied for a
decade. Is the approach you are going to use different from all of these
existing ones:

"Survey: Virtual Machine Introspection Based System Monitoring and Malware
Detection Techniques" - by Haofu Liao at University of Rochester.

From: Jidong Xiao @ 2017-02-10 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM

Sorry, I have to resend this again, as the original two emails were blocked
because of the url.

"Rootkit detection using virtualization" has been widely studied for a
decade. Is the approach you are going to use different from all of these
existing ones:

"Survey: Virtual Machine Introspection Based System Monitoring and Malware
Detection Techniques" - by Haofu Liao at University of Rochester.

-Jidong

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am a volunteer developer taking up a project originally proposed by
> Rik van Riel, "rootkit detection using virtualization", and am
> planning to contribute regularly to this project over the coming
> months. I was advised to contact these mailing lists to introduce
> myself, and I also wanted to inquire about any existing projects that
> coincide with this work. My initial work will involved diving into KVM
> + qemu source and deciding how best to approach the problem. While I
> have the attention of list members, are there any specific
> individuals/groups I should contact directly with respect to this type
> of project?
>
> Thank you.

> Matthew Giassa

* Re: [kernel-hardening] Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  (?)
@ 2017-02-10 23:27 ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2017-02-10 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I am a volunteer developer taking up a project originally proposed by
> Rik van Riel, "rootkit detection using virtualization", and am
> planning to contribute regularly to this project over the coming
> months. I was advised to contact these mailing lists to introduce
> myself, and I also wanted to inquire about any existing projects that
> coincide with this work. My initial work will involved diving into KVM
> + qemu source and deciding how best to approach the problem. While I
> have the attention of list members, are there any specific
> individuals/groups I should contact directly with respect to this type
> of project?
>
> Thank you.

Hi! Welcome to the list(s)!

I think this is an interesting area of research, though it may be a
tricky cat/mouse game. Some of this kind of
hypervisor-protects-the-kernel work has been done on some Android
phones in small areas (see the cred protection near the end):

http://keenlab.tencent.com/en/2016/06/01/Emerging-Defense-in-Android-Kernel/

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Pixel Security

* Re: [kernel-hardening] Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-10 23:31   ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2017-02-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM, Matthew Garrett

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net> wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> I am a volunteer developer taking up a project originally proposed by
>> Rik van Riel, "rootkit detection using virtualization", and am
>> planning to contribute regularly to this project over the coming
>> months. I was advised to contact these mailing lists to introduce
>> myself, and I also wanted to inquire about any existing projects that
>> coincide with this work. My initial work will involved diving into KVM
>> + qemu source and deciding how best to approach the problem. While I
>> have the attention of list members, are there any specific
>> individuals/groups I should contact directly with respect to this type
>> of project?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> Hi! Welcome to the list(s)!
>
> I think this is an interesting area of research, though it may be a
> tricky cat/mouse game. Some of this kind of
> hypervisor-protects-the-kernel work has been done on some Android
> phones in small areas (see the cred protection near the end):
>
> http://keenlab.tencent.com/en/2016/06/01/Emerging-Defense-in-Android-Kernel/

And some privilege monitoring work done by Matthew Garrett:

https://github.com/mjg59/rkt/commits/privilege

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Pixel Security

* Re: [kernel-hardening] Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-11  1:37   ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2017-02-11  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees Cook, Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM

On Fri, 2017-02-10 at 15:27 -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net>
> wrote:
> > Good day,
> >
> > I am a volunteer developer taking up a project originally proposed
> > by
> > Rik van Riel, "rootkit detection using virtualization", and am
> > planning to contribute regularly to this project over the coming
> > months. I was advised to contact these mailing lists to introduce
> > myself, and I also wanted to inquire about any existing projects
> > that
> > coincide with this work. My initial work will involved diving into
> > KVM
> > + qemu source and deciding how best to approach the problem. While
> > have the attention of list members, are there any specific
> > individuals/groups I should contact directly with respect to this
> > type
> > of project?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Hi! Welcome to the list(s)!
>
> I think this is an interesting area of research, though it may be a
> tricky cat/mouse game. Some of this kind of
> hypervisor-protects-the-kernel work has been done on some Android
> phones in small areas (see the cred protection near the end):
>
> http://keenlab.tencent.com/en/2016/06/01/Emerging-Defense-in-Android-
> Kernel/

One of the things that Matthew can do is build on
the read-only memory protections in the kernel, and
have the hypervisor enforce that the memory the kernel
marks as read-only is never written from inside the
virtual machine, until the next reboot.

That seems like it might be a useful place to start,
since it would immediately make the other read-only
protections that people are working on much harder to
get around, at least inside virtual machines.

* Re: Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-11  3:21     ` Matthew Giassa
From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-11  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jidong Xiao; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

On 2017-02-10 05:37 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:

 > One of the things that Matthew can do is build on
 > the read-only memory protections in the kernel, and
 > have the hypervisor enforce that the memory the kernel
 > marks as read-only is never written from inside the
 > virtual machine, until the next reboot.
 >
 > That seems like it might be a useful place to start,
 > since it would immediately make the other read-only
 > protections that people are working on much harder to
 > get around, at least inside virtual machines.

My initial plan was to start with what Rik proposed, and focus on
additional memory protections. With respect to long-term plans, a lot of
my work/research so far has been focused on implementing a system
similar to that presented by Payne et al (ie: Lares).

From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-11  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jidong Xiao; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

@ 2017-02-11  3:43       ` Jidong Xiao
From: Jidong Xiao @ 2017-02-11  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

Thanks Matthew. So if I understand correctly, even though many people have
proposed similar solutions, none of them have actually contributed their
code (of their solution) into Qemu/KVM. To make it "real" (i.e., as a part
of Qemu/KVM code) is your goal, right? That sounds interesting!

-Jidong

From: Jidong Xiao @ 2017-02-11  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

@ 2017-02-13  8:41     ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2017-02-13  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik van Riel; +Cc: Kees Cook, Matthew Giassa, kernel-hardening, KVM

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 08:37:01PM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> One of the things that Matthew can do is build on
> the read-only memory protections in the kernel, and
> have the hypervisor enforce that the memory the kernel
> marks as read-only is never written from inside the
> virtual machine, until the next reboot.
>
> That seems like it might be a useful place to start,
> since it would immediately make the other read-only
> protections that people are working on much harder to
> get around, at least inside virtual machines.

I agree that this is valuable, but it feels like doing so probably
involves designing a consistent mechanism for lightweight
kernel→hypervisor calls - the existing vfio framework seems heavier than
necessary for this kind of thing. Going further probably involves having
a good way for syscalls to call into the hypervisor, but again finding a
generic solution that doesn't add too much overhead seems like a good
plan. My implementation of this was very special cased and didn't
attempt to do anything in a generic way, so I'm definitely not a good
model!

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

* Re: Introduction + new project: "rootkit detection using virtualization".
@ 2017-02-14 18:06         ` Matthew Giassa
From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jidong Xiao; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

Hi Jidong,

You are correct on all the points noted above:My goal is to develop a
production-ready, non-academic implementation of such a tool. I'm in
it for the long haul.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Jidong Xiao <jidong.xiao@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Matthew. So if I understand correctly, even though many people have
> proposed similar solutions, none of them have actually contributed their
> code (of their solution) into Qemu/KVM. To make it "real" (i.e., as a part
> of Qemu/KVM code) is your goal, right? That sounds interesting!
>
> -Jidong
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 2017-02-10 03:18 PM, Jidong Xiao wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, I have to resend this again, as the original two emails were
>>> blocked because of the url.
>>>
>>> "Rootkit detection using virtualization" has been widely studied for a
>>> decade. Is the approach you are going to use different from all of these
>>> existing ones:
>>>
>>> "Survey: Virtual Machine Introspection Based System Monitoring and
>>> Malware Detection Techniques" - by Haofu Liao at University of Rochester.
>>>
>>> -Jidong
>>

>> On 2017-02-10 05:37 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:
>> >
>> > One of the things that Matthew can do is build on
>> > the read-only memory protections in the kernel, and
>> > have the hypervisor enforce that the memory the kernel
>> > marks as read-only is never written from inside the
>> > virtual machine, until the next reboot.
>> >
>> > That seems like it might be a useful place to start,
>> > since it would immediately make the other read-only
>> > protections that people are working on much harder to
>> > get around, at least inside virtual machines.
>> >

>> My initial plan was to start with what Rik proposed, and focus on
>> additional memory protections. With respect to long-term plans, a lot of my
>> work/research so far has been focused on implementing a system similar to
>> that presented by Payne et al (ie: Lares).
>>
>> -Matthew Giassa

Matthew Giassa, MASc, BASc, EIT
Principal Developer; Security and Embedded Systems Specialist
linkedin: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/giassa
e-mail:   matthew@giassa.net
website:  www.giassa.net

From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jidong Xiao; +Cc: kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

@ 2017-02-14 21:25           ` Steve Rutherford
From: Steve Rutherford @ 2017-02-14 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net> wrote:
> Hi Jidong,
>
> You are correct on all the points noted above:My goal is to develop a
> production-ready, non-academic implementation of such a tool. I'm in
> it for the long haul.
Is your goal for this to work on all architectures, or are you
planning to focus on Intel-x86 (or AMD-x86, or ARM, or...)?

From: Steve Rutherford @ 2017-02-14 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa; +Cc: Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

@ 2017-02-15  3:31             ` Matthew Giassa
From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-15  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Rutherford; +Cc: Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

On 2017-02-14 01:25 PM, Steve Rutherford wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Matthew Giassa <matthew@giassa.net> wrote:
>> Hi Jidong,
>>
>> You are correct on all the points noted above:My goal is to develop a
>> production-ready, non-academic implementation of such a tool. I'm in
>> it for the long haul.
> Is your goal for this to work on all architectures, or are you
> planning to focus on Intel-x86 (or AMD-x86, or ARM, or...)?
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Jidong Xiao <jidong.xiao@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks Matthew. So if I understand correctly, even though many people have
>>> proposed similar solutions, none of them have actually contributed their
>>> code (of their solution) into Qemu/KVM. To make it "real" (i.e., as a part
>>> of Qemu/KVM code) is your goal, right? That sounds interesting!
>>>
>>> -Jidong

>> --
>> Matthew Giassa, MASc, BASc, EIT
>> Principal Developer; Security and Embedded Systems Specialist
>> linkedin: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/giassa
>> e-mail:   matthew@giassa.net
>> website:  www.giassa.net

My initial aim is x86/x64 targets, unless there are additional resources
I can tap into for expanding to ARM. If I can get a working prototype up
and running and into "staging", then expanding to ARM architecture would
be viable.

From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-15  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Rutherford; +Cc: Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel

@ 2017-02-16  6:31               ` Grandhi, Sainath
From: Grandhi, Sainath @ 2017-02-16  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa, Steve Rutherford
  Cc: Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel, Nakajima, Jun

Hi Matthew,
We have been working on a Kernel Hardening project. Please find slides at http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/Kernel%20Protection-Nakajima.pdf . We presented this idea in KVM Forum 2016. The idea is to protect CPU/platform resources and kernel managed resources (IDT, kernel page tables etc.) during execution of a VM. This approach is extended to baremetal/host OS by switching the execution of host OS into guest mode and monitoring the host OS with a very thin hypervisor, probably kvm module extension. Currently we have a PoC, contained in kvm module, for switching the host OS into guest mode. We are open for collaboration and feedback.

Thanks
-Sainath

From: Grandhi, Sainath @ 2017-02-16  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Giassa, Steve Rutherford
  Cc: Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM, Rik van Riel, Nakajima, Jun

@ 2017-02-17  1:16                 ` Matthew Giassa
From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-17  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grandhi, Sainath
  Cc: Steve Rutherford, Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM,
	Rik van Riel, Nakajima, Jun

Thank you for this, Sainath. Is this module of yours already in
mainline KVM, or elsewhere in a separate repo?

Cheers!

From: Matthew Giassa @ 2017-02-17  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grandhi, Sainath
  Cc: Steve Rutherford, Jidong Xiao, kernel-hardening, KVM,