* Option "Rotate" is not used
@ 2011-11-08 22:05 Grant
       [not found] ` <CAN0CFw0f7yVR0hXFiNio4JKgce-GTKd3hU22ve1zNH1hDQsakw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Grant @ 2011-11-08 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I just switched from nvidia to nouveau and I get the following in Xorg.0.log:

(WW) NOUVEAU(0): Option "Rotate" is not used

I have the following in xorg.conf because I've rotated the LCD screen
to change its orientation:

Option "Rotate" "CCW"

Can this be done with nouveau?  BTW, I can't say for sure that nouveau
isn't rotating the screen image because the workstation is remote.

- Grant

* Re: Option "Rotate" is not used
       [not found] ` <CAN0CFw0f7yVR0hXFiNio4JKgce-GTKd3hU22ve1zNH1hDQsakw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-11-08 22:45   ` Ben Skeggs
From: Ben Skeggs @ 2011-11-08 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 14:05 -0800, Grant wrote:
> I just switched from nvidia to nouveau and I get the following in Xorg.0.log:
>
> (WW) NOUVEAU(0): Option "Rotate" is not used
>
> I have the following in xorg.conf because I've rotated the LCD screen
> to change its orientation:
>
> Option "Rotate" "CCW"
>
> Can this be done with nouveau?  BTW, I can't say for sure that nouveau
> isn't rotating the screen image because the workstation is remote.
Sure it can, nouveau is a randr 1.2 driver - so adding 'Option "Rotate"
"Left"' to the monitor section of your xorg.conf will work instead.

Ben.

> - Grant

* Re: Option "Rotate" is not used
@ 2011-11-09 18:40     ` Grant
       [not found]       ` <CAN0CFw0GOyh-m83vhaRgGOdBVGy21zbQQJG1+SNfjd6xzOLtYA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Grant @ 2011-11-09 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

>> I just switched from nvidia to nouveau and I get the following in Xorg.0.log:
>>
>> (WW) NOUVEAU(0): Option "Rotate" is not used
>>
>> I have the following in xorg.conf because I've rotated the LCD screen
>> to change its orientation:
>>
>> Option "Rotate" "CCW"
>>
>> Can this be done with nouveau?  BTW, I can't say for sure that nouveau
>> isn't rotating the screen image because the workstation is remote.
> Sure it can, nouveau is a randr 1.2 driver - so adding 'Option "Rotate"
> "Left"' to the monitor section of your xorg.conf will work instead.
>
> Ben.

Thanks Ben, that worked great.

- Grant

* Re: Option "Rotate" is not used
       [not found]       ` <CAN0CFw0GOyh-m83vhaRgGOdBVGy21zbQQJG1+SNfjd6xzOLtYA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-11-10 21:36         ` Grant
       [not found]           ` <CAN0CFw3SNvUcO_u5pdRWmYCCRHW-ShF=iBbi=XBgbShLg7OknA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Grant @ 2011-11-10 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

>>> I just switched from nvidia to nouveau and I get the following in Xorg.0.log:
>>>
>>> (WW) NOUVEAU(0): Option "Rotate" is not used
>>>
>>> I have the following in xorg.conf because I've rotated the LCD screen
>>> to change its orientation:
>>>
>>> Option "Rotate" "CCW"
>>>
>>> Can this be done with nouveau?  BTW, I can't say for sure that nouveau
>>> isn't rotating the screen image because the workstation is remote.
>> Sure it can, nouveau is a randr 1.2 driver - so adding 'Option "Rotate"
>> "Left"' to the monitor section of your xorg.conf will work instead.
>>
>> Ben.
>
> Thanks Ben, that worked great.
>
> - Grant

I spoke too soon.  I don't get the warning in Xorg.0.log anymore, but
someone tried to use the system and told me the screen was not rotated
as it should be.  I tried both of these in xorg.conf with the same
result:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "mymonitor"
        Option "Rotate" "Left"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "mymonitor"
        Option "Rotate" "CCW"
EndSection

Any ideas?

- Grant

* Re: Option "Rotate" is not used
       [not found]           ` <CAN0CFw3SNvUcO_u5pdRWmYCCRHW-ShF=iBbi=XBgbShLg7OknA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-11-10 21:57             ` Maarten Maathuis
       [not found]               ` <CAGZ4FET_4XAFp6uNow+_WvVO0KogyEeNYbv-gHMnaHiUVgXUmg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Maarten Maathuis @ 2011-11-10 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Grant <emailgrant-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Sure it can, nouveau is a randr 1.2 driver - so adding 'Option "Rotate"
>>> "Left"' to the monitor section of your xorg.conf will work instead.
>>>
>>> Ben.
>>
>> Thanks Ben, that worked great.
>>
>> - Grant
>
> I spoke too soon.  I don't get the warning in Xorg.0.log anymore, but
> someone tried to use the system and told me the screen was not rotated
> as it should be.  I tried both of these in xorg.conf with the same
> result:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier "mymonitor"
>        Option "Rotate" "Left"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier "mymonitor"
>        Option "Rotate" "CCW"
> EndSection
>
> Any ideas?
>
> - Grant

You might need to add something like:

Option "DVI-I-1" "mymonitor"

To your device section, ofcource choose the right connector/output.
Grep the xorg log for output and you should be able to find it.

--
Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.

* Re: Option "Rotate" is not used
@ 2011-11-10 22:27                 ` Grant
From: Grant @ 2011-11-10 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

>>> Thanks Ben, that worked great.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> I spoke too soon.  I don't get the warning in Xorg.0.log anymore, but
>> someone tried to use the system and told me the screen was not rotated
>> as it should be.  I tried both of these in xorg.conf with the same
>> result:
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>>        Identifier "mymonitor"
>>        Option "Rotate" "Left"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>>        Identifier "mymonitor"
>>        Option "Rotate" "CCW"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> - Grant
>
> You might need to add something like:
>
> Option "DVI-I-1" "mymonitor"
>
> To your device section, ofcource choose the right connector/output.
> Grep the xorg log for output and you should be able to find it.

I added it like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "mydevice"
        Driver "nouveau"
        Option "VGA-1" "mymonitor"
EndSection

But I get this from Xorg.0.log:

Option "VGA-1" is not used

I also tried VGA-I-1 to match your example with the same result.  I
have this in Xorg.0.log so I think VGA-1 is correct:

(II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 has no monitor section
(II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 connected

Is my syntax off somehow?

- Grant

* Re: Option "Rotate" is not used
@ 2011-11-10 22:43                   ` Maarten Maathuis
       [not found]                     ` <CAGZ4FESWUd1vkwkTA2Ym18St11MiyH7fF1wmY6iPRFD3FbV6ig-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Maarten Maathuis @ 2011-11-10 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Grant <emailgrant-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> I spoke too soon.  I don't get the warning in Xorg.0.log anymore, but
>>> someone tried to use the system and told me the screen was not rotated
>>> as it should be.  I tried both of these in xorg.conf with the same
>>> result:
>>>
>>> Section "Monitor"
>>>        Identifier "mymonitor"
>>>        Option "Rotate" "Left"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Monitor"
>>>        Identifier "mymonitor"
>>>        Option "Rotate" "CCW"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> You might need to add something like:
>>
>> Option "DVI-I-1" "mymonitor"
>>
>> To your device section, ofcource choose the right connector/output.
>> Grep the xorg log for output and you should be able to find it.
>
> I added it like this:
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier "mydevice"
>        Driver "nouveau"
>        Option "VGA-1" "mymonitor"
> EndSection
>
> But I get this from Xorg.0.log:
>
> Option "VGA-1" is not used
>
> I also tried VGA-I-1 to match your example with the same result.  I
> have this in Xorg.0.log so I think VGA-1 is correct:
>
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 has no monitor section
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 connected
>
> Is my syntax off somehow?
>
> - Grant

My mistake, it should "monitor-VGA-1" instead.

--

@ 2011-11-10 23:09                       ` Grant
       [not found]                         ` <CAN0CFw0-OrzKF_z+gRO3RkmTmAwnpdP7-DrF5mCs+xamPXeq6Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Grant @ 2011-11-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

>>> You might need to add something like:
>>>
>>> Option "DVI-I-1" "mymonitor"
>>>
>>> To your device section, ofcource choose the right connector/output.
>>> Grep the xorg log for output and you should be able to find it.
>>
>> I added it like this:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>        Identifier "mydevice"
>>        Driver "nouveau"
>>        Option "VGA-1" "mymonitor"
>> EndSection
>>
>> But I get this from Xorg.0.log:
>>
>> Option "VGA-1" is not used
>>
>> I also tried VGA-I-1 to match your example with the same result.  I
>> have this in Xorg.0.log so I think VGA-1 is correct:
>>
>> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 has no monitor section
>> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 connected
>>
>> Is my syntax off somehow?
>>
>> - Grant
>
> My mistake, it should "monitor-VGA-1" instead.

I think that's it!  I get:

(II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 using monitor section mymonitor

I'll know for sure soon when someone tries to log into that system.
I'll report back.

Thanks,
Grant

* Re: Option "Rotate" is not used
@ 2011-11-14 20:44                           ` Grant
From: Grant @ 2011-11-14 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

>>> I added it like this:
>>>
>>> Section "Device"
>>>        Identifier "mydevice"
>>>        Driver "nouveau"
>>>        Option "VGA-1" "mymonitor"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> But I get this from Xorg.0.log:
>>>
>>> Option "VGA-1" is not used
>>>
>>> I also tried VGA-I-1 to match your example with the same result.  I
>>> have this in Xorg.0.log so I think VGA-1 is correct:
>>>
>>> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 has no monitor section
>>> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 connected
>>>
>>> Is my syntax off somehow?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> My mistake, it should "monitor-VGA-1" instead.
>
> I think that's it!  I get:
>
> (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output VGA-1 using monitor section mymonitor
>
> I'll know for sure soon when someone tries to log into that system.
> I'll report back.

It works, thanks again!

- Grant