* OS-less SDK
@ 2022-04-29 11:51 Alessio Igor Bogani
From: Alessio Igor Bogani @ 2022-04-29 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Dear Yocto developers,

Is there a way to generate an SDK which contains the toolchain for
bare-metal systems (i.e. MCU without operating system)?

Thanks in advance!

Ciao,
Alessio

* Re: [yocto] OS-less SDK
@ 2022-04-29 11:58 ` Laurent Gauthier
From: Laurent Gauthier @ 2022-04-29 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessio Igor Bogani; +Cc: yocto

Hi Alessio,

Have you had a look at crosstool-ng?

Best regards, Laurent.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, 13:52 Alessio Igor Bogani, <alessio.bogani@elettra.eu>
wrote:

> Dear Yocto developers,
>
> Is there a way to generate an SDK which contains the toolchain for
> bare-metal systems (i.e. MCU without operating system)?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ciao,
> Alessio

* Re: [yocto] OS-less SDK
@ 2022-04-29 13:25   ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2022-04-29 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Alessio,

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, 13:52 Alessio Igor Bogani, <alessio.bogani@elettra.eu> wrote:
>> Is there a way to generate an SDK which contains the toolchain for
>> bare-metal systems (i.e. MCU without operating system)?

Good question. I know Xilinx has put effort to support their MCUs with Yocto.

However, define what you mean by SDK? Which libraries or programming
languages are you thinking of beyond the C library for example?

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 1:58 PM Laurent Gauthier
<laurent.gauthier@soccasys.com> wrote:
> Have you had a look at crosstool-ng?

crosstool-ng is mostly the toolchain, I would not consider this an SDK
beyond that.

This might help:

https://elinux.org/images/e/e6/ELC-Yocto-Crosstool-ng.pdf

Regards,

Leon.

* Re: [yocto] OS-less SDK
@ 2022-04-29 15:53 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-04-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessio Igor Bogani, yocto

On 4/29/22 4:51 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> Dear Yocto developers,
>
> Is there a way to generate an SDK which contains the toolchain for
> bare-metal systems (i.e. MCU without operating system)?

its possible to build baremetal toolchains, e.g. look at meta-riscv
baremetal machines e.g.

https://github.com/riscv/meta-riscv/blob/master/conf/machine/baremetal-riscv32.conf

you can do

MACHINE=baremetal-riscv32 bitbake meta-toolchain

Which will give you a toolchain, but if you want more like what we can
do with MCU OSes like freertos and zephyr take a look at

meta-zephyr (https://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-zephyr/) and
meta-freertos (https://github.com/aehs29/meta-freertos)

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ciao,