* aiocb member aio_offset is off_t which is a signed 32bit int
@ 2014-06-30 10:51 Jonny Grant
       [not found] ` <CAGc9Evc1oZkCYfYAkYU+fNA=9-Q+T+sgdj8qWuTctZjjvUdxEA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonny Grant @ 2014-06-30 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello mtk

Is it worth clarifying something on this page:

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/aio.7.html

off_t           aio_offset;     /* File offset */

Could clarify that off_t on a 32bit system will be a signed 32bit
integer, meaning the maximum seek size is 2GB.

I think this means that aio can only be used to access files up to
2GB. There isn't an off64_t version like lseek64()

Regards, Jon

* Re: aiocb member aio_offset is off_t which is a signed 32bit int
       [not found] ` <CAGc9Evc1oZkCYfYAkYU+fNA=9-Q+T+sgdj8qWuTctZjjvUdxEA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-04-12  8:03   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]     ` <CAKgNAkj5nh7=yVAOps6mPva3A93qtkTDMrMBmYbXAN4AAi_+2A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-04-12  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Grant; +Cc: linux-man

Hi Jonny,

On 30 June 2014 at 12:51, Jonny Grant <jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello mtk
>
> Is it worth clarifying something on this page:
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/aio.7.html
>
> off_t           aio_offset;     /* File offset */
>
> Could clarify that off_t on a 32bit system will be a signed 32bit
> integer, meaning the maximum seek size is 2GB.
>
> I think this means that aio can only be used to access files up to
> 2GB.

I don't believe this is true. See <aio.h> and the defintion of this field there.

Cheers,

Michael

@ 2015-04-30 22:11       ` Jonny Grant
       [not found]         ` <CAGc9EvcOSPb5f9kU3TeP-MU1FT-j=DRmnSNs4xZV_8fnAYdTTA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonny Grant @ 2015-04-30 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk-manpages; +Cc: linux-man

On 12 April 2015 at 09:03, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
<mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Jonny,
>
> On 30 June 2014 at 12:51, Jonny Grant <jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Hello mtk
>>
>> Is it worth clarifying something on this page:
>>
>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/aio.7.html
>>
>> off_t           aio_offset;     /* File offset */
>>
>> Could clarify that off_t on a 32bit system will be a signed 32bit
>> integer, meaning the maximum seek size is 2GB.
>>
>> I think this means that aio can only be used to access files up to
>> 2GB.
>
> I don't believe this is true. See <aio.h> and the defintion of this field there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael

Hi Michael

ok, many thanks.

BTW, the link at bottom of aio.7 is 403:
http://www.squid-cache.org/~adrian/Reprint-Pulavarty-OLS2003.pdf

My own opinion is that links change regularly.. so often simpler to avoid them.

I used this online tool to check the page, that was the only error

http://validator.w3.org/checklink

I used Chrome, it has an insecure yellow triangle for the site
https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/

Seems to be because the site is using StartCom Class 2 Primary which
cannot be completely verified as no public audit records. Also content
is loaded from non https connection on the page on
https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/

--
Jonny  jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org

@ 2015-05-06 12:28           ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2015-05-06 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Grant; +Cc: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, linux-man

On 05/01/2015 12:11 AM, Jonny Grant wrote:
> On 12 April 2015 at 09:03, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
> <mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Hi Jonny,
>>
>> On 30 June 2014 at 12:51, Jonny Grant <jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Hello mtk
>>>
>>> Is it worth clarifying something on this page:
>>>
>>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/aio.7.html
>>>
>>> off_t           aio_offset;     /* File offset */
>>>
>>> Could clarify that off_t on a 32bit system will be a signed 32bit
>>> integer, meaning the maximum seek size is 2GB.
>>>
>>> I think this means that aio can only be used to access files up to
>>> 2GB.
>>
>> I don't believe this is true. See <aio.h> and the defintion of this field there.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michael
>
> Hi Michael
>
> ok, many thanks.
>
> BTW, the link at bottom of aio.7 is 403:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/~adrian/Reprint-Pulavarty-OLS2003.pdf
>
> My own opinion is that links change regularly.. so often simpler to avoid them.

Hi Jonny,

I've fixed the link.

Cheers,

Michael