* read 2
@ 2011-10-28 22:41 Jon Grant
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EveAKHV4--YZZWX6XMWuMDRh3C346eBBZwuKYQ1MBDBmcQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jon Grant @ 2011-10-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello

I saw fread is on section 3, but should read really be 3? It's not a
kernel function directly I think. Perhaps the numbering is just
historical?

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/online/pages/man2/read.2.html

Best regards, Jon

* Re: read 2
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EveAKHV4--YZZWX6XMWuMDRh3C346eBBZwuKYQ1MBDBmcQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-10-31 12:15   ` Stefan Puiu
From: Stefan Puiu @ 2011-10-31 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Grant
  Cc: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

read() is a system call. If you check 'man man', system calls are
documented in section 2, while library functions like fread are in
section 3.

Thanks,
Stefan.