* character set encoding problem
@ 2015-02-16 17:41 Jonny Grant
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EvfsUTNNbnE_130qrB-sJ5CuNn8BPh3ozYMVbHZ=VrHpEw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonny Grant @ 2015-02-16 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man

Hello MTK

I saw a problem in the encoding on this page

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/hostname.1.html

See text below with ??

Information about the project can be found at
       ??http://net-tools.sourceforge.net/??.  If you have a bug report for
       this manual page, see ??http://net-tools.sourceforge.net/??.

The bytes seem to be some multi byte E2 9F A8

Regards, Jonny

* Re: character set encoding problem
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EvfsUTNNbnE_130qrB-sJ5CuNn8BPh3ozYMVbHZ=VrHpEw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-18 12:06   ` Jonny Grant
From: Jonny Grant @ 2015-02-18 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk-manpages; +Cc: linux-man

Hello

I heard back from W3C group I queried:

The character before the URL is U+27E8 MATHEMATICAL LEFT ANGLE
BRACKET, which is E2 9F A in UTF-8 encoding; see
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/27e8/index.htm
And the character after the URL is U+27E9 MATHEMATICAL RIGHT ANGLE BRACKET.

While not illegal, it is not the regular < > that is used. I wonder if
it was pasted from a mathematical wordprocessor.

--
Jonny  jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org