* Suppress all boot output (framebuffer?) - embedded linux distro
@ 2013-02-19 13:50 Ivan Nikolaev
From: Ivan Nikolaev @ 2013-02-19 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi everybody! I'm new to linux kernel development (very very little
experience), time ago have began studying Operating Systems, even
written a simple x86 2-stage bootloader for my supa-dupa-noob-os (which
never ended up in something working). Anyway, that was just to explain
what kind of a noob you talk to. ;)

I'm developing an ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) based embedded distribution, which
basically is a normal ubuntu stripped down to bare minimal packages,
which runs a minimal XOrg server with one single full-screen
application. What I want is to suppress every single char of console
output since the bootloader passed control to the kernel, and possibly
show instead of that some static text and/or image. What I thought is to
try to disable printk-s and to write some kind of patch which uses the
framebuffer to show the logo. Is that possible/difficult? Can you
eventually explain where I should dig?

Thanks in advice!

* Suppress all boot output (framebuffer?) - embedded linux distro
@ 2013-02-19 19:00 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2013-02-19 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Ivan Nikolaev <voidexp@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm developing an ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) based embedded distribution, which
> basically is a normal ubuntu stripped down to bare minimal packages,
> which runs a minimal XOrg server with one single full-screen
> application. What I want is to suppress every single char of console
> output since the bootloader passed control to the kernel, and possibly
> show instead of that some static text and/or image. What I thought is to
> try to disable printk-s and to write some kind of patch which uses the
> framebuffer to show the logo. Is that possible/difficult? Can you
> eventually explain where I should dig?

IIRC, isn't that what ubuntu 12.04 does during boot stage by default ?
i mean, no boot message shown....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Suppress all boot output (framebuffer?) - embedded linux distro
       [not found] <5123F419.8060202@gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-19 21:53 ` Ivan Nikolaev
From: Ivan Nikolaev @ 2013-02-19 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue 19 Feb 2013 08:00:52 PM CET, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Ivan Nikolaev <voidexp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm developing an ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) based embedded distribution, which
>> basically is a normal ubuntu stripped down to bare minimal packages,
>> which runs a minimal XOrg server with one single full-screen
>> application. What I want is to suppress every single char of console
>> output since the bootloader passed control to the kernel, and possibly
>> show instead of that some static text and/or image. What I thought is to
>> try to disable printk-s and to write some kind of patch which uses the
>> framebuffer to show the logo. Is that possible/difficult? Can you
>> eventually explain where I should dig?
>

> IIRC, isn't that what ubuntu 12.04 does during boot stage by default ?
> i mean, no boot message shown....

Yes, I guess Ubuntu version of GRUB is slightly modified, and it uses
Plymouth to provide that "nice" (and buggy on some machines) graphic
bootsplash. What I need is to avoid virtual consoles at all, also, I
need one static image visualized by framebuffer, which then smoothly
passes to my GUI app. Even more, being my app Qt based, I think about
throwing away the Xorg server and use Qt's support for framebuffer. So,
it will probably do a nice job. Hope I've explained what I need. For
example, on Android devices how this thing is done? You turn on the
device, and then the loading animation is displayed for a while.
Everything goes smooth, no glitches, and I suppose, there's no Plymouth
:)