* Latest Centos6.3 kernel, rebooting from inside centos6.3 VM - gets stuck on seabios/grub loop - previous kernels fine
@ 2012-07-11 21:54 Morgan Cox
From: Morgan Cox @ 2012-07-11 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi

I have an Ubuntu 12.04 KVM server

In Centos6 VM's - when I install the latest kernel for centos 6.3 -
2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 - if you reboot from inside a Centos6 vm it gets
stuck in a loop between seabios/grub.

If i use virsh/virt-manager to reboot its fine, only from inside a
centos6 vm (with latest centos kernel) does this occur - I am 100% its
connected with the latest kernel (or at least the 6.3 updates).

As a test I installed centos 6.2 - this was 100% fine *until* I did a
yum update then I got the same issue.

If I use the older kernel with all the rest of the Centos 6.3 updates
the issue does not occur either (so it 'must'? be related to the
kernel update)

How can this be fixed ?

Regards

* Re: Latest Centos6.3 kernel, rebooting from inside centos6.3 VM - gets stuck on seabios/grub loop - previous kernels fine
@ 2012-07-18 21:06 ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2012-07-18 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morgan Cox; +Cc: kvm

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:54:34PM +0100, Morgan Cox wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an Ubuntu 12.04 KVM server
>
> In Centos6 VM's - when I install the latest kernel for centos 6.3 -
> 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 - if you reboot from inside a Centos6 vm it gets
> stuck in a loop between seabios/grub.
>
> If i use virsh/virt-manager to reboot its fine, only from inside a
> centos6 vm (with latest centos kernel) does this occur - I am 100% its
> connected with the latest kernel (or at least the 6.3 updates).
>
> As a test I installed centos 6.2 - this was 100% fine *until* I did a
> yum update then I got the same issue.
>
> If I use the older kernel with all the rest of the Centos 6.3 updates
> the issue does not occur either (so it 'must'? be related to the
> kernel update)
>
> How can this be fixed ?

Morgan,

What is the last working kernel RPM version?

Can you disable kvmclock? (by appending "no-kvmclock" to the end of the
"kernel" line of 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst).

@ 2012-07-19 11:27   ` Morgan Cox
From: Morgan Cox @ 2012-07-19 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: kvm

Marcelo your awesome ! thank fixed it.

Thank you.

Is this an issue just with centos kernel or is rhel effected also ?

i.e shall I submit a bugzilla report?

Regards

@ 2012-07-20  1:09     ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2012-07-20  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morgan Cox; +Cc: kvm

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:27:27PM +0100, Morgan Cox wrote:
> Marcelo your awesome !

I agree :)

> thank fixed it.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Is this an issue just with centos kernel or is rhel effected also ?

Not sure - either way disabling kvmclock is not recommended (it handles
a number of problems).

Which kernel version was previously working?

Can you include grab output of "info registers" command in the
QEMU monitor? And serial console output can be useful (see
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Bugs).

> i.e shall I submit a bugzilla report?

Sure, include the information requested above and send me an email
with the URL, thanks.