* Any interesting linux projects?
@ 2013-09-06  7:16 manty kuma
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: manty kuma @ 2013-09-06  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I would like to work on some open source Linux projects. Please share some
interesting projects that i can work from home. I am not looking for
anything specific. Anything would do. Any interesting debugging tool or
some new feature or that of fixing errors in bugzilla.. Please list
anything. Only thing is i Know only C and Assembly(AVR and ARM).
I know i am far from contributing to the mainline kernel. So want to start
from something small where less competition is there to start with. I think
the project we choose depends on our current skillset, so is there any site
that kind of lists these projects and order it based on the skills? :) No i
guess. But still any good sites are also welcome.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Any interesting linux projects?
@ 2013-09-06  8:13 ` Matthias Beyer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthias Beyer @ 2013-09-06  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi!

As I read your mail, I don't think you're searching for kernel-related
projects, so here something which is not related to the kernel at all:

I'm searching volunteering open source C programmers for my (pretty young)
open source project!

If you want to have more information, send me a direct mail and/or
have a look at the github repository[0]. I don't think this
mailinglist is the right place for this!

You have to be familiar with git, though I think linux guys are familiar with
it! :-P

It is currently linux-only - so maybe this fits your needs?

[0]: github.com/matthiasbeyer/thessc

On 06-09-2013 16:16:05, manty kuma wrote:
>    I would like to work on some open source Linux projects. Please share some
>    interesting projects that i can work from home. I am not looking for
>    anything specific. Anything would do. Any interesting debugging tool or
>    some new feature or that of fixing errors in bugzilla.. Please list
>    anything. Only thing is i Know only C and Assembly(AVR and ARM).
>    I know i am far from contributing to the mainline kernel. So want to start
>    from something small where less competition is there to start with. I
>    think the project we choose depends on our current skillset, so is there
>    any site that kind of lists these projects and order it based on the
>    skills? :) No i guess. But still any good sites are also welcome.

Mit freundlichen Gr??en,
Kind regards,
Matthias Beyer

Proudly sent with mutt.
Happily signed with gnupg.

* Any interesting linux projects?
@ 2013-09-06  9:15 ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2013-09-06  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM, manty kuma <mantykuma@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to work on some open source Linux projects. Please share some
> interesting projects that i can work from home. I am not looking for
> anything specific. Anything would do. Any interesting debugging tool or
> some new feature or that of fixing errors in bugzilla.. Please list
> anything. Only thing is i Know only C and Assembly(AVR and ARM).
> I know i am far from contributing to the mainline kernel. So want to start
> from something small where less competition is there to start with. I think
> the project we choose depends on our current skillset, so is there any site
> that kind of lists these projects and order it based on the skills? :) No i
> guess. But still any good sites are also welcome.
>
> We had similar discussion on this mailing list a few days back, I would
highly suggest that you search archives of this mailing list.
--
Thank you
Warm Regards

@ 2013-09-06 11:03   ` Matthias Beyer
From: Matthias Beyer @ 2013-09-06 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

The website says

    "Most of these lists can be searched via the
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ archive."

But the site seems to be down (cannot resolve hostname).

On 06-09-2013 10:15:02, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar wrote:
>    On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM, manty kuma <mantykuma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      I would like to work on some open source Linux projects. Please share
>      some interesting projects that i can work from home. I am not looking
>      for anything specific. Anything would do. Any interesting debugging tool
>      or some new feature or that of fixing errors in bugzilla.. Please list
>      anything. Only thing is i Know only C and Assembly(AVR and ARM).
>      I know i am far from contributing to the mainline kernel. So want to
>      start from something small where less competition is there to start
>      with. I think the project we choose depends on our current skillset, so
>      is there any site that kind of lists these projects and order it based
>      on the skills? :) No i guess. But still any good sites are also welcome.
>
>    We had similar discussion on this mailing list a few days back, I would
>    highly suggest that you search archives of this mailing list.
>    --
>    Thank you
>    Warm Regards
>    Anuz

Mit freundlichen Gr??en,
Kind regards,
Matthias Beyer

Proudly sent with mutt.
Happily signed with gnupg.

* Any interesting linux projects?
@ 2013-09-06 11:16     ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2013-09-06 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Matthias Beyer <mail@beyermatthias.de>wrote:

> The website says
>
>     "Most of these lists can be searched via the
>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ archive."
>
> That is something which needs to be fixed, or probably we need more user
friendly archiving and search system for this mailing list.
I have no idea, how to do this stuff, else I would have tried.
There is a huge amount of Info but all of it gets piled under the newer
mails.

@ 2013-09-06 15:56 ` michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
From: michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com @ 2013-09-06 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi!

I am programming a layer 3+4 protocol for mesh networks, see
http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com/projects/cor/index.html . It would
really be nice if somebody could take care of the routing daemon. The code
should not be very hard to understand. This is currently the entire routing
daemon: http://repo.or.cz/w/corutils.git/blob/HEAD:/test_routed.c (there are
some helper functions in other files). On the other side setting up the test
environment requires kernel-compilation and setting up either virtual machines
or a physical network...

	-Michi

* Any interesting linux projects?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-09-06 20:30 ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2013-09-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 3:16 AM, manty kuma <mantykuma@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to work on some open source Linux projects. Please share some
> interesting projects that i can work from home. I am not looking for
> anything specific. Anything would do. Any interesting debugging tool or some
> new feature or that of fixing errors in bugzilla.. Please list anything.
> Only thing is i Know only C and Assembly(AVR and ARM).
> I know i am far from contributing to the mainline kernel. So want to start
> from something small where less competition is there to start with. I think
> the project we choose depends on our current skillset, so is there any site
> that kind of lists these projects and order it based on the skills? :) No i
> guess. But still any good sites are also welcome.

Are you including userspace projects in your question?

Greg

* Any interesting linux projects?
@ 2013-10-09  4:41   ` manty kuma
From: manty kuma @ 2013-10-09  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Greg Freemyer,
Yes. Any interesting User space projects you know, please let me know.

Regards,
Sandeep

@ 2013-10-09 16:47     ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2013-10-09 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

manty kuma <mantykuma@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Greg Freemyer,
>Yes. Any interesting User space projects you know, please let me know.
>
>Regards,
>Sandeep

Well, there are a million userspace projects I'm sure.

My interest is in filesystems and my day job is computer forensics.
For me the most interesting opensource linux focused project in that
space is Plaso.  Plaso itself is written in python, but it relies
heavily on a collection of c libraries collectively known as libyal
(yet another library).  Plaso is highly modulized and the todo list
has lots of modules still to be written before it moves out of alpha
status.   Most of libyal is also in alpha or experimental status.

http://plaso.kiddaland.net/
http://code.google.com/p/libyal/wiki/Overview

I think Google is sponsoring the 2 main developers as they seem to be
working on plaso/libyal fulltime but there is tons of work still todo.
 No problem finding a task to claim for your own.

Also, even though plaso / libyal run on Linux most of the
functionality currently targets windows data files.  Adding support
for linux data formats would also be cool.  ie. I don't know if they
even have parsers for /var/log/*.

>From a low level code perspective libvshadow (part of libyal) may be
the most interesting subproject of plaso.  It is a linux solution that
provides access to microsoft NTFS volume shadow copies (sort of like
btrfs snapshots).

https://code.google.com/p/libvshadow/
https://googledrive.com/host/0B3fBvzttpiiSZDZXRFVMdnZCeHc/

The shadow copies are exposed to other apps as a virtual /dev/sdx type
device that allows loopback mounts to work:

Ie.  mount -o loop

Libvshadow is alpha I believe so you could help test/fix it.

Also there are no user friendly apps provided with libvshadow so you
could write some kind of front-end that would make it more accessible.
 I have a trivial shell script that will expose the virtual volumes
but it is very trivial.

A really cool thing to do would be to integrate libvshadow into a
filemanager like dolphin or mc (midnight commander).  I have no
experience in integrating something like libvshadow into a
filemanager, so you would need to pick one and ask there how to go
about the process.

fyi: I have packaged and submitted the parts of libyal that plaso
needs to openSUSE for inclusion in their next release (13.1 in
November).  I don't think any other distro has them readily available
for install so you have to build all the pieces from source.

Hope that's not all overwhelming.
Greg