* Fwd: Help with LE Create Connection
       [not found] <CAGuV3hPxvhDbsO1TZLcQwtQuAWrm5TqQrH=zG3UrFsvjfZOeFA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-04-21  2:01 ` Fulko Hew
From: Fulko Hew @ 2018-04-21  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

I'm doing my first Bluetooth app, and I have a specific question and a
general question:

1/ Where can I find documentation on the BlueZ API?
   I've searched and haven't found anything yet.

2/ I've captured a trace of an existing conversation off of my Android phone,
   and I'm trying to re-create it via my own app using BlueZ.
   I've gotten to the point of trying to do an LE Create Connection
via hci_le_create_conn()
   and my first stumbling block is the value of the 'peer address type'.
   From my investigation, I need to use the 'public' address type
which according to
   the spec, and Wireshark is a value of 0x00, but bluetooth.h defines
'public' as 0x01
   (as per the following extract).  Can anyone explain it to me?

   #define BDADDR_BREDR           0x00
   #define BDADDR_LE_PUBLIC       0x01
   #define BDADDR_LE_RANDOM       0x02

TIA
Fulko

* Re: Help with LE Create Connection
@ 2018-04-23 17:02   ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2018-04-23 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fulko Hew; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Fulko,

> I'm doing my first Bluetooth app, and I have a specific question and a
> general question:
>
> 1/ Where can I find documentation on the BlueZ API?
>   I've searched and haven't found anything yet.
>
> 2/ I've captured a trace of an existing conversation off of my Android phone,
>   and I'm trying to re-create it via my own app using BlueZ.
>   I've gotten to the point of trying to do an LE Create Connection
> via hci_le_create_conn()
>   and my first stumbling block is the value of the 'peer address type'.
>   From my investigation, I need to use the 'public' address type
> which according to
>   the spec, and Wireshark is a value of 0x00, but bluetooth.h defines
> 'public' as 0x01
>   (as per the following extract).  Can anyone explain it to me?
>
>   #define BDADDR_BREDR           0x00
>   #define BDADDR_LE_PUBLIC       0x01
>   #define BDADDR_LE_RANDOM       0x02

why not use the bluetoothd D-Bus GATT APIs for your application. It will create all needed connections. Manually doing HCI is the wrong approach since that is owned by the kernel.

Regards

Marcel