* [alsa-devel] Alsa conformance test - a new test for ALSA drivers
@ 2019-09-04  4:29 Yu-Hsuan Hsu
From: Yu-Hsuan Hsu @ 2019-09-04  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi all,

I have created an new tool "Alsa conformance test"(
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform/audiotest/+/master/alsa_conformance_test.md),
which is used for verifying ALSA drivers. Here are some main functions it
can measure:
1. Correctness of hw_params
2. Stability of rate
3. Stability of step
4. Runtime of each ALSA API
5. Underrun and Overrun

I recommend to use the script "alsa_conformance_test.py" inside. Just give
it a device and then it will test the below functions automatically.
1. To make sure whether all the parameters provided by an ALSA driver can
be used.
2. To make sure whether the measured rate is the same as the expected rate.

We have used this tool to find out many issues in ChromeOS. I hope it can
help development in Linux too. If you have any problems or want more
features, please create a bug in crbug.com and assign to me (
yuhsuan@chromium.org). Thanks!

Best,
Yu-Hsuan

* Re: [alsa-devel] Alsa conformance test - a new test for ALSA drivers
@ 2019-09-05 15:17 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-09-05 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu-Hsuan Hsu; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Wed, 04 Sep 2019 06:29:30 +0200,
Yu-Hsuan Hsu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have created an new tool "Alsa conformance test"(
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/platform/audiotest/+/master/alsa_conformance_test.md),
> which is used for verifying ALSA drivers. Here are some main functions it
> can measure:
> 1. Correctness of hw_params
> 2. Stability of rate
> 3. Stability of step
> 4. Runtime of each ALSA API
> 5. Underrun and Overrun
>
> I recommend to use the script "alsa_conformance_test.py" inside. Just give
> it a device and then it will test the below functions automatically.
> 1. To make sure whether all the parameters provided by an ALSA driver can
> be used.
> 2. To make sure whether the measured rate is the same as the expected rate.
>
> We have used this tool to find out many issues in ChromeOS. I hope it can
> help development in Linux too. If you have any problems or want more
> features, please create a bug in crbug.com and assign to me (
> yuhsuan@chromium.org). Thanks!

Great, it's something I wanted to see for long time.
Let us know if you'd like to put this to ALSA upstream.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: [alsa-devel] Alsa conformance test - a new test for ALSA drivers
@ 2019-09-06  8:06   ` Yu-Hsuan Hsu
From: Yu-Hsuan Hsu @ 2019-09-06  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Takashi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm very glad that you like it. Do you have any
strong reason for moving it into ALSA upstream? If not, I would like to
keep it in chromium code base. It's also easy for developers to send
patches via gerrit (chromium-review.googlesource.com). I can be responsible
for reviewing these changes. If installing from the source code is not
quick enough, we can create the new package for it. Besides, it is easier
for me to maintain this tool.

Best,
Yu-Hsuan

Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> 於 2019年9月5日 週四 下午11:17寫道:

@ 2019-09-09 12:06     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-09-09 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu-Hsuan Hsu; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 10:06:55 +0200,
Yu-Hsuan Hsu wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I'm very glad that you like it. Do you have any strong
> reason for moving it into ALSA upstream? If not, I would like to keep it in
> chromium code base. It's also easy for developers to send patches via gerrit (
> chromium-review.googlesource.com). I can be responsible for reviewing these
> changes. If installing from the source code is not quick enough, we can create
> the new package for it. Besides, it is easier for me to maintain this tool.

The biggest advantage by upstreaming would be the acceptance by many
distros, so increasing the user base and more deployment.

But I don't mind keeping in the downstream side, too, unless we get
more demands.

thanks,

Takashi