* dpdk is dropping some packets
@ 2015-02-02 14:50 Sachin Sharma
       [not found] ` <CAH-Vi3wDMbTQ3yPq_RYX1oWv48xqQ5sCaprAZM6-eerFKmfauA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sachin Sharma @ 2015-02-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev-VfR2kkLFssw

Hi all,

I have implemented an application on the dpdk, which transmits 42 packets
using rte_eth_tx_burst by a burst. There is no error while transmitting
i.e. rte_eth_tx_burst always return 42. However, when I tcpdump the packets
on the neighboring node only 30 packets are received and the other 10 are
getting dropped. I am receiving the same issue in both the cases : (1)
transmitting a burst of 42 packets, or (2) transmitting 42 packets one by
one using the rte_eth_tx_burst.  The packet size is 100 bytes. I do not see
this as a normal behaviour? If this is so, could you please let me know why
these are getting dropped without sending an error condition to the
application?

Thanks,
Sachin.

* Re: dpdk is dropping some packets
       [not found] ` <CAH-Vi3wDMbTQ3yPq_RYX1oWv48xqQ5sCaprAZM6-eerFKmfauA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-02 14:57   ` Wiles, Keith
       [not found]     ` <D0F4EBBC.11858%keith.wiles-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2015-02-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sachin Sharma, dev-VfR2kkLFssw

On 2/2/15, 8:50 AM, "Sachin Sharma" <sharonsachin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have implemented an application on the dpdk, which transmits 42 packets
>using rte_eth_tx_burst by a burst. There is no error while transmitting
>i.e. rte_eth_tx_burst always return 42. However, when I tcpdump the
>packets
>on the neighboring node only 30 packets are received and the other 10 are
>getting dropped. I am receiving the same issue in both the cases : (1)
>transmitting a burst of 42 packets, or (2) transmitting 42 packets one by
>one using the rte_eth_tx_burst.  The packet size is 100 bytes. I do not
>see
>this as a normal behaviour? If this is so, could you please let me know
>why
>these are getting dropped without sending an error condition to the
>application?

Did you verify the packets are transmitted, meaning you should have been
able to note the counters on the RX side to verify they were not sent or
maybe they were dropped at the RX port? Look at the missed counter and RX
counters on the receiving machine to verify the packets are not sent from
DPDK. In all most all cases when sending a low number of packets they are
sent, but the receiver was not able to consume the packets at that rate.

@ 2015-02-02 15:56       ` Sachin Sharma
From: Sachin Sharma @ 2015-02-02 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev-VfR2kkLFssw

Thank you very much Keith!!

It was the problem with the tcpdump! it was not able to capture all the
packets. When I read the RX counters, it is exactly 42 packets!

Thanks,