* kernel recompile only drm r600_irq_process IH: CP EOP no CP int
@ 2011-09-10 16:35 Vipin
From: Vipin @ 2011-09-10 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel

Hello,

First, my system set up

Fedora 14
Before : 2.6.35.6 booted with drm.debug=0x07

I see drm:r600_irq_process, IH: CP int: 0x00000000
and No IH: CP EOP

with the default**fedora 14 install with the above mentioned kernel

After: 3.0.3 booted with drm.debug=0x07
When I recompile my kernel, I don't see any CP int: , but only CP EOP
interrupts.

I have seen this behaviour across two machines one with fedora install &
another with an ubuntu 10.10 (2.6.35.28 -> 3.0.3)

The code in r600.c specified plain switch based on the received case.
Does this mean the case 176-178 are not executed when I recompile the
kernel ? which doesn't sound right because its being shown in the
previous kernel ?

Am I doing any mistake ? Any missing option in kernel configuration ?
but then I shouldn't even see CP EOP.

Firmware exists in /lib/firmware/radeon

Any further pointers are appreciated. Please ask for more information.
Vipin Jain

* Re: kernel recompile only drm r600_irq_process IH: CP EOP no CP int
@ 2011-09-12  5:55 ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2011-09-12  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vipin; +Cc: dri-devel

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Vipin <vj358@nyu.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, my system set up
>
> Fedora 14
> Before : 2.6.35.6 booted with drm.debug=0x07
>
> I see drm:r600_irq_process, IH: CP int: 0x00000000
> and No IH: CP EOP
>
> with the default fedora 14 install with the above mentioned kernel
>
> After: 3.0.3 booted with drm.debug=0x07
> When I recompile my kernel, I don't see any CP int: , but only CP EOP
> interrupts.
>
> I have seen this behaviour across two machines one with fedora install &
> another with an ubuntu 10.10 (2.6.35.28 -> 3.0.3)
>
> The code in r600.c specified plain switch based on the received case. Does
> this mean the case 176-178 are not executed when I recompile the kernel ?
> which doesn't sound right because its being shown in the previous kernel ?
>
> Am I doing any mistake ? Any missing option in kernel configuration ? but
> then I shouldn't even see CP EOP.
>
> Firmware exists in /lib/firmware/radeon
>
> Any further pointers are appreciated. Please ask for more information.

The CP interrupt and the CP EOP interrupt are different interrupts.
The driver uses them for the same purpose.  Older kernels use the CP
int and newer kernels use the CP EOP interrupt as that is the
preferred method of operation for what we are using it for (GPU
fences).

Alex

* Re: kernel recompile only drm r600_irq_process IH: CP EOP no CP int
@ 2011-09-12 13:57   ` Ilija Hadzic
From: Ilija Hadzic @ 2011-09-12 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: dri-devel

Related to this question, one thing that I noticed is that in some
instances, I would not see any interrupts at all. Instead, all signaled
fences would be taken care of next time somebody waits on one them
(through radeon_fence_wait, radeon_fence_signaled,
radeon_fence_poll_locked call sequence -- the last function has the loop
that marks all fences signaled that should be).

Is that also expected behavior ?

-- Ilija

@ 2011-09-12 15:21     ` Jerome Glisse
From: Jerome Glisse @ 2011-09-12 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilija Hadzic; +Cc: dri-devel

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Ilija Hadzic
<ihadzic@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> Related to this question, one thing that I noticed is that in some
> instances, I would not see any interrupts at all. Instead, all signaled
> fences would be taken care of next time somebody waits on one them (through
> radeon_fence_wait, radeon_fence_signaled, radeon_fence_poll_locked call
> sequence -- the last function has the loop that marks all fences signaled
> that should be).
>
> Is that also expected behavior ?
>
> -- Ilija

Yes we enable interrupt only if fence we are waiting for is not
signaled, this avoid cpu waking for no good reasons, and thus allow
cpu to go into sleep state.

Cheers,
Jerome