* doubts about sdd raid1 and cfs
@ 2015-06-13 19:42 Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2015-06-13 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-RAID

hi guys, i`m setting up a new server, it have
1) 2x 256gb sdd
Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB, EXM02B6Q
500118192 sectors, multi 1: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)
2)1tb hdd
Hitachi HUA722010CLA330, JP4OA3EA
1953525168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)

i`m plannig a raid1 with ssd and hdd, hdd being a "write-mostly", and
750gb of hdd i will use to backup or other useless files

i have somedoubts about the setup..
i use xfs at filesystem, should i consider TRIM command at filesystem?
the problem is hdd being part of raid1 setup with others ssd, could
the ssd receive the TRIM and the hdd too?
any idea is wellcome

--
Roberto Spadim

* Re: doubts about sdd raid1 and cfs
@ 2015-06-13 20:14 ` Mikael Abrahamsson
From: Mikael Abrahamsson @ 2015-06-13 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim; +Cc: Linux-RAID

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Roberto Spadim wrote:

> hi guys, i`m setting up a new server, it have
> 1) 2x 256gb sdd
> Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB, EXM02B6Q
> 500118192 sectors, multi 1: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)
> 2)1tb hdd
> Hitachi HUA722010CLA330, JP4OA3EA
> 1953525168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)
>
> i`m plannig a raid1 with ssd and hdd, hdd being a "write-mostly", and
> 750gb of hdd i will use to backup or other useless files
>
> i have somedoubts about the setup..
> i use xfs at filesystem, should i consider TRIM command at filesystem?
> the problem is hdd being part of raid1 setup with others ssd, could
> the ssd receive the TRIM and the hdd too?
> any idea is wellcome

Frankly, reading about the firmware problems on Samsung SSDs in
combination with TRIM, I would recommend against using TRIM on samsung
drives.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fstrim/+bug/1449005

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se

* Re: doubts about sdd raid1 and cfs
@ 2015-06-13 20:18   ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2015-06-13 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Abrahamsson; +Cc: Linux-RAID

hum, but what about the 850 version instead of 840?

> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Roberto Spadim wrote:
>
>> hi guys, i`m setting up a new server, it have
>> 1) 2x 256gb sdd
>> Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB, EXM02B6Q
>> 500118192 sectors, multi 1: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)
>> 2)1tb hdd
>> Hitachi HUA722010CLA330, JP4OA3EA
>> 1953525168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32)
>>
>> i`m plannig a raid1 with ssd and hdd, hdd being a "write-mostly", and
>> 750gb of hdd i will use to backup or other useless files
>>
>> i have somedoubts about the setup..
>> i use xfs at filesystem, should i consider TRIM command at filesystem?
>> the problem is hdd being part of raid1 setup with others ssd, could
>> the ssd receive the TRIM and the hdd too?
>> any idea is wellcome
>

> Frankly, reading about the firmware problems on Samsung SSDs in combination
> with TRIM, I would recommend against using TRIM on samsung drives.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fstrim/+bug/1449005
>
> --
> Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se

--
Roberto Spadim
SPAEmpresarial - Software ERP
Eng. Automação e Controle

* Re: doubts about sdd raid1 and cfs
@ 2015-06-13 20:32     ` Mikael Abrahamsson
From: Mikael Abrahamsson @ 2015-06-13 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim; +Cc: Linux-RAID

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Roberto Spadim wrote:

> hum, but what about the 850 version instead of 840?

SSDs have been around for more than 5 years (intel released the X25-M
in 2008 according to wikipedia), TRIM has been around for 4-5 years.

I have seen so many problems related to TRIM, that I will not use it
unless it comes default on from a manufacturer that has tested the entire
chain, including hardware and software (my Apple laptop for instance).

We have seen TRIM not being NCQ enabled and stalling performance when
doing TRIM, we have seen firmware bugs that cause drives to lose data when
doing TRIM, we have seen Linux kernel bugs that also caused loss of data.

First of all, ask yourself why you want TRIM, understand how it works and
if you will benefit, do your research properly, and then enable it.

Personally, I overprovision my SSDs instead:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper05.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/tech-insights/ssd-over-provisioning-benefits-master-ti/
http://www.edn.com/design/systems-design/4404566/Understanding-SSD-over-provisioning
http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/overprovisioning

So I basically leave space on the drive that I don't use. In your case I
would only partition 200GB (or even less) of that 240GB drive, and I would
run it without TRIM.

--

@ 2015-06-13 20:33       ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2015-06-13 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Abrahamsson; +Cc: Linux-RAID

nice :)
about the space, that was my next doubt ehhe thanks ! leave 40gb to
ssd "bad blocks"

about the writemostly, any comment?