* [Qemu-devel] MTTCG Sync-up call today? Agenda items?
@ 2016-04-11 11:21 Alex Bennée
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alex Bennée @ 2016-04-11 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MTTCG Devel, qemu devel
  Cc: Mark Burton, KONRAD Frédéric, Alvise Rigo,
	Sergey Fedorov, Emilio G. Cota, Paolo Bonzini

Hi,

It's been awhile since we synced-up with quite weeks and Easter out of
the way are we good for a call today?

Some items I can think would be worth covering:

  - State of MTTCG enabled LL/SC

    I think Alvise was looking at some run-loop changes for the MTTCG
    enabled part of his LL/SC patch set. I haven't heard anything for a
    while.

  - Linaro's current efforts

    Sergey is currently working with us in up-streaming MTTCG related
    patches. We've taken stuff from Paolo and Fred's trees and push
    several series to the list for review:
      - various TCG clean-ups
      - atomic jump patching
      - base enabling patches

  - Memory ordering work

    I put this up as a suggested project for GSoC and we had several
    applicants. We are currently awaiting Google's decision on slot
    allocations so hopefully we'll have an extra pair of hands on this
    chunk.

  - Emilio's work

    Emilio posted a series last year with some alternative approaches to
    solving some of the MTTCG problems. He's back and working on this
    again and has posted his qht series as a precursor to his next
    revision of the MTTCG tree.

  - TCG maintainers view

    It would be useful if we had a view from the TCG maintainers of how
    we are doing and if the approaches have a chance of getting merged.

  - Timescales

    Internally at Linaro we've been discussing potential timescales. We are
    currently aiming to have all major pieces of MTTCG posted on list and
    being iterated through reviews before this years KVM Forum. This will
    leave us KVM forum to resolve any remaining barriers to eventual
    up-streaming.

Anything else worthy of discussion? If you need the number to call ping
me off list.

--
Alex Bennée

* Re: [Qemu-devel] MTTCG Sync-up call today? Agenda items?
@ 2016-04-11 11:30 ` Mark Burton
From: Mark Burton @ 2016-04-11 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée
  Cc: MTTCG Devel, qemu devel, KONRAD Frédéric, Alvise Rigo,
	Sergey Fedorov, Emilio G. Cota, Paolo Bonzini

Good plan :-)
Cheers
Mark.

> On 11 Apr 2016, at 13:21, Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It's been awhile since we synced-up with quite weeks and Easter out of
> the way are we good for a call today?
>
> Some items I can think would be worth covering:
>
>  - State of MTTCG enabled LL/SC
>
>    I think Alvise was looking at some run-loop changes for the MTTCG
>    enabled part of his LL/SC patch set. I haven't heard anything for a
>    while.
>
>  - Linaro's current efforts
>
>    Sergey is currently working with us in up-streaming MTTCG related
>    patches. We've taken stuff from Paolo and Fred's trees and push
>    several series to the list for review:
>      - various TCG clean-ups
>      - atomic jump patching
>      - base enabling patches
>
>  - Memory ordering work
>
>    I put this up as a suggested project for GSoC and we had several
>    applicants. We are currently awaiting Google's decision on slot
>    allocations so hopefully we'll have an extra pair of hands on this
>    chunk.
>
>  - Emilio's work
>
>    Emilio posted a series last year with some alternative approaches to
>    solving some of the MTTCG problems. He's back and working on this
>    again and has posted his qht series as a precursor to his next
>    revision of the MTTCG tree.
>
>  - TCG maintainers view
>
>    It would be useful if we had a view from the TCG maintainers of how
>    we are doing and if the approaches have a chance of getting merged.
>
>  - Timescales
>
>    Internally at Linaro we've been discussing potential timescales. We are
>    currently aiming to have all major pieces of MTTCG posted on list and
>    being iterated through reviews before this years KVM Forum. This will
>    leave us KVM forum to resolve any remaining barriers to eventual
>    up-streaming.
>
> Anything else worthy of discussion? If you need the number to call ping
> me off list.
>
> --
> Alex Bennée

	 +44 (0)20 7100 3485 x 210
 +33 (0)5 33 52 01 77x 210

	+33 (0)603762104
	mark.burton

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] MTTCG Sync-up call today? Agenda items?
@ 2016-04-11 11:45 ` alvise rigo
From: alvise rigo @ 2016-04-11 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée
  Cc: MTTCG Devel, qemu devel, Mark Burton, KONRAD Frédéric,
	Sergey Fedorov, Emilio G. Cota, Paolo Bonzini

Hi Alex,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's been awhile since we synced-up with quite weeks and Easter out of
> the way are we good for a call today?

Indeed, it has been a while.

> Some items I can think would be worth covering:
>
>   - State of MTTCG enabled LL/SC
>
>     I think Alvise was looking at some run-loop changes for the MTTCG
>     enabled part of his LL/SC patch set. I haven't heard anything for a
>     while.

I've been quite busy lately, but expect the v8 of the LL/SC patch
series by the end of this week. Sorry for the delay.

In any case, I'm in if any call will be held.

Regards,
alvise

@ 2016-04-11 12:58   ` Mark Burton
From: Mark Burton @ 2016-04-11 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alvise rigo
  Cc: Alex Bennée, MTTCG Devel, qemu devel,
	KONRAD Frédéric, Sergey Fedorov, Emilio G. Cota,
	Paolo Bonzini

So see you all online - on the normal number

Cheers
Mark.

@ 2016-04-11 13:38 ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2016-04-11 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MTTCG Devel, qemu devel
  Cc: Mark Burton, KONRAD Frédéric, Alvise Rigo,

Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> It's been awhile since we synced-up with quite weeks and Easter out of
> the way are we good for a call today?
>
> Some items I can think would be worth covering:

Well it mostly seemed to be me talking but here are my notes:

  - LL/SC Patch Status (Alvise)
    - v8 will be posted this week, follow-up MTTCG due
      - will require async_safe_work
      - AJB will post his revised re-based safe work series
  - Linaro's approach going forward (Alex)
    - Take the uncontroversial clean-ups, push the upstream (mostly Sergey)
    - Provide a common set of base patches (enables MTTCG but not arch support)
    - (ADDED) Deferred work patches, needed separately for LL/SC MTTCG work
    - Following up with individual architecture enabling series (ARMv7, v8, onwards)
  - Memory ordering work (Alex)
    - Several applicants to proposed GSoC project
    - Will move forward once Google confirm funding
  - Emilio's work
    - Emilio is back working on MTTCG, based on common base-patches
    - Others have seen his QHT proposals, review feedback from TCG devs looks good
  - TCG Maintainers view
    - Not had much feedback on later series, Alex will reach out
  - Timescales
    - Linaro is committed to having all major work on list by KVM Forum 2016
    - Hopefully by KVM Forum we can work on roadmap to merging
    - Alex will be there, too early for most of the others to confirm
  - Any other business
    - Mark commented it was nice to see things moving forward again ;-)

--

@ 2016-04-11 13:39   ` Mark Burton
From: Mark Burton @ 2016-04-11 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée
  Cc: MTTCG Devel, qemu devel, KONRAD Frédéric, Alvise Rigo,
	Sergey Fedorov, Emilio G. Cota, Paolo Bonzini