* thinkpad_acpi fan stop working problem (was after resume) (speed becomes 65535)
@ 2012-05-03  6:00 r ll
From: r ll @ 2012-05-03  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  Cc: ibm-acpi-devel, platform-driver-x86, Borislav Deianov

To THINKPAD ACPI EXTRAS DRIVER authors and related mailer list,

(got this list from MAINTAINERS and thinkpad_acpi.c)

This problem occasionally happens on my Thinkpad T410 with some recent kernels,
I remember this problem since 2.6.35 when I was installing Ubuntu-10
and now I have switched to Arch Linux with self complied latest
3.4-rc5, this issue
is remaining there,

most of time the fan is working well, but usually every night I close the laptop
let the Linux suspend; then resume on next morning, occasionally the laptop
could become very hot, usually above 90℃ for long time, if I compile something
or do some heavy work, it may go up over 128℃ then machine
automatically shutdown,

# cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp1_input
97000
# cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/fan1_input
65535

I guess the fan is actually not working at all;
I tried unload & reload the kernel module but it still doesn't work;
I tried manually set a speed level but it's still 65535, the machine
is still hot

# modprobe -r thinkpad_acpi && modprobe thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1

# echo 'level full-speed' >/proc/acpi/ibm/fan
# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status:		enabled
speed:		65535
level:		disengaged
commands:	level <level> (<level> is 0-7, auto, disengaged, full-speed)
commands:	enable, disable
commands:	watchdog <timeout> (<timeout> is 0 (off), 1-120 (seconds))

It seems the only way is to complete power off Linux for a few
seconds, power on again
then the fan could be working, I observed a normal speed should be
between 3000 ~ 5000, and machine temperature is 40~70℃, normally working;

Wonder if someone experienced same problem and how can we fix it?

at least to know how can I recover the fan to work, without rebooting

* Re: thinkpad_acpi fan stop working problem (was after resume) (speed becomes 65535)
@ 2012-05-07  2:06 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2012-05-07  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r ll
  Cc: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, ibm-acpi-devel, platform-driver-x86,
	Borislav Deianov

On Wed, 02 May 2012, r ll wrote:
> most of time the fan is working well, but usually every night I close the laptop
> let the Linux suspend; then resume on next morning, occasionally the laptop
> could become very hot, usually above 90℃ for long time, if I compile something
> or do some heavy work, it may go up over 128℃ then machine
> automatically shutdown,
>
> # cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp1_input
> 97000
> # cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/fan1_input
> 65535

"-1" (reported as 65535) *is* the standard ThinkPad EC lingo for "not
available".  Getting this in the tachometer is really weird, but
actually useful :p  It is also the first time I've ever heard of this.

Change your kernel to disable thinkpad-acpi fan control, i.e. make
*sure* thinkpad_acpi is always loaded with fan_control=0, even at the
first time it is loaded.  You might need to mess with /etc/modprobe.d,
and maybe even update your initramfs.

Run it like that for a while, so that you can access whether the problem
went away or not.  Let's find out whether it is thinkpad-acpi or
something else that is getting the EC pissed off :-)

> I tried unload & reload the kernel module but it still doesn't work;
> I tried manually set a speed level but it's still 65535, the machine
> is still hot

So, whatever it is, it makes the EC ignore fan control commands.

Are you using the "fan" ACPI module?

  Henrique Holschuh

* Re: thinkpad_acpi fan stop working problem (was after resume) (speed becomes 65535)
@ 2012-05-07  5:02   ` r ll
From: r ll @ 2012-05-07  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
  Cc: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, ibm-acpi-devel, platform-driver-x86,
	Borislav Deianov

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2012, r ll wrote:
>> most of time the fan is working well, but usually every night I close the laptop
>> let the Linux suspend; then resume on next morning, occasionally the laptop
>> could become very hot, usually above 90℃ for long time, if I compile something
>> or do some heavy work, it may go up over 128℃ then machine
>> automatically shutdown,
>>
>> # cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp1_input
>> 97000
>> # cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/fan1_input
>> 65535
>
> "-1" (reported as 65535) *is* the standard ThinkPad EC lingo for "not
> available".  Getting this in the tachometer is really weird, but
> actually useful :p  It is also the first time I've ever heard of this.
>
> Change your kernel to disable thinkpad-acpi fan control, i.e. make
> *sure* thinkpad_acpi is always loaded with fan_control=0, even at the
> first time it is loaded.  You might need to mess with /etc/modprobe.d,
> and maybe even update your initramfs.

Once boot, I see it's "N", is it not enough to make sure?
I always compile in the hdd drivers and filesystem code for root, so
not using an initramfs;
this thinkpad_acpi module is just loaded automatically by some init script,
and my /etc/modprobe.d is empty, I'm using modprobe by kmod 7-2;

$ cat /sys/module/thinkpad_acpi/parameters/fan_control
$ cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/fan1_input
3578
$ pacman -Q |grep kmod
kmod 7-2

> Run it like that for a while, so that you can access whether the problem
> went away or not.  Let's find out whether it is thinkpad-acpi or
> something else that is getting the EC pissed off :-)
>
>> I tried unload & reload the kernel module but it still doesn't work;
>> I tried manually set a speed level but it's still 65535, the machine
>> is still hot
>
> So, whatever it is, it makes the EC ignore fan control commands.
>
> Are you using the "fan" ACPI module?

Do you mean this CONFIG_ACPI_FAN ? I found it's Y, but I can try disable it;
but do you think it's conflict with thinkpad_acpi fan ?

$ grep -i fan /boot/config
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y

--
Cheng Renquan (程任全)