* Public review of Supervisor Binary Interface (SBI) Specification
@ 2022-01-12 18:43 Atish Kumar Patra
       [not found] ` <CANnJOVF3rnpgSixuiwH9x5C+DOViROL_jjpF=2+fkBTh5Amh+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Atish Kumar Patra @ 2022-01-12 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-unixplatformspec, linux-riscv

I just realized that the below email was not delivered to unix
platform mailing list and
linux-riscv mailing list because of the attachment. Reseeding it again
without the
attachment. Apologies for the noise.

We are delighted to announce the start of the public review period for
the Non-ISA Supervisor Binary Interface (SBI) specification. The
SBI specification is considered as frozen now as per the RISC-V International
policies.

The review period begins today, Monday Jan 10, and ends on Monday
Jan 24 (inclusive).

The specification can be found here
https://github.com/riscv-non-isa/riscv-sbi-doc/releases/download/v1.0-rc1/riscv-sbi.pdf

which was generated from the source available in the following GitHub
repository:
https://github.com/riscv-non-isa/riscv-sbi-doc

To respond to the public review, please either reply to this email or
send comments to the platform mailing list[1] or add issues to the
SBI GitHub repo[2]. We welcome all input and appreciate your time and
effort in helping us by reviewing the specification.

During the public review period, corrections, comments, and
suggestions, will be gathered for review by the Platform HSC members. Any
minor corrections and/or uncontroversial changes will be incorporated
into the specification. Any remaining issues or proposed changes will
be addressed in the public review summary report. If there are no
issues that require incompatible changes to the public review
specification, the platform HSC will recommend the updated
specifications be approved and ratified by the RISC-V Technical
Steering Committee and the RISC-V Board of Directors.

SBI specification is non-ISA specifications and will evolve over time
with new extensions as long as they are backward compatible. Any such
proposals for new extensions can be included in the future releases
after proper discussions in the platform working group meetings.

Thanks to all the contributors for all their hard work.

[1] tech-unixplatformspec@lists.riscv.org
[2] https://github.com/riscv-non-isa/riscv-sbi-doc/issues

Regards,
Atish Patra

* Re: [RISC-V] [tech-unixplatformspec] Public review of Supervisor Binary Interface (SBI) Specification
       [not found] ` <CANnJOVF3rnpgSixuiwH9x5C+DOViROL_jjpF=2+fkBTh5Amh+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-01-12 20:32   ` Atish Kumar Patra
       [not found]     ` <CANnJOVFpq_LpsNz1sd3-dbxJfYnrR9XapzRbcGVw98ATKoMsbw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Atish Kumar Patra @ 2022-01-12 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Behrens; +Cc: tech-unixplatformspec, linux-riscv

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:59 AM Jonathan Behrens <behrensj@mit.edu> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, per the description of `sbi_probe_extension`, each of the extensions are supposed to specify an "extension-specific non-zero value" to return if they are available. However, right now I don't think any of them do. Is this something that should be fixed?

The description says "Returns 0 if the given SBI extension ID (EID) is
not available, or an extension-specific non-zero value if it is
available"
The specification says it should be non-zero as the value "0"
indicates non-availability of the extension. The exact return value
should be an implementation detail.

       [not found]         ` <CAHBxVyHygA6k7WxjoK8qAEUv_HTqUwc3=cSyXZp_OaBnxgf3Eg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-01-27  8:57           ` Heinrich Schuchardt
From: Heinrich Schuchardt @ 2022-01-27  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: atishp
  Cc: Jonathan Behrens, tech-unixplatformspec, linux-riscv, Andrew Waterman

On 1/27/22 09:33, atishp@rivosinc.com wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 2:46 PM Andrew Waterman <andrew@sifive.com
> <mailto:andrew@sifive.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:50 PM Jonathan Behrens <behrensj@mit.edu
>     <mailto:behrensj@mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>         If that is the intention, the text should be changed to "Returns
>         0 if the given SBI extension ID (EID) is not available, or an
>         *implementation defined* non-zero value if it is available".
>         Although, if the extensions aren't defining any meaning to the
>         various possible non-zero values, I personally don't see why we
>         shouldn't change it to "returns one if it is available".
>

>     I think allowing implementation-defined nonzero rather than
>     requiring it be 1 is OK, but I agree with your proposed wording change.
>

> Sounds good to me as well. I will make the change.

Why should the value be implementation specific and not extension specific?

I would prefer if the specification would provide extension specific
unique return values instead of introducing ambiguity about possible
return values.

This also allows us to define further return values per extension if
needed in future. But currently all of these values can be defined as 1.

We just have to add this value 1 to each extension description.

Best regards

Heinrich