* [RFC] Tamper Evident Logging on Linux Audit
@ 2020-08-27 16:25 Paccagnella, Riccardo
From: Paccagnella, Riccardo @ 2020-08-27 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit; +Cc: rgb, Dave (Jing) Tian, Liao, Kevin, Bates, Adam

Dear Linux Audit Team,
  My team and I would like to share with you some recent research results that we hope will be interesting to you. In a nutshell, we designed a kernel-based tamper-evident logging system and implemented a proof of concept of it on top of Linux Audit. Would you be interested in the possibility of incorporating our system in the upstream version of Linux Audit? We envision a small extension to Linux Audit that would allow users to enable integrity protection for the logs if desired. For reference, this<https://rp8.web.engr.illinois.edu/papers/kennyloggings-ccs2020.pdf> is our paper and this<https://bitbucket.org/sts-lab/kennyloggings/> is our proof-of-concept implementation.

Thanks very much in advance and best regards,
Riccardo

* Re: [RFC] Tamper Evident Logging on Linux Audit
@ 2020-08-29 15:42 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2020-08-29 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paccagnella, Riccardo
  Cc: rgb, Dave (Jing) Tian, Liao, Kevin, linux-audit, Bates, Adam

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM Paccagnella, Riccardo <rp8@illinois.edu> wrote:

> Dear Linux Audit Team,
>   My team and I would like to share with you some recent research results that we hope will be interesting to you. In a nutshell, we designed a kernel-based tamper-evident logging system and implemented a proof of concept of it on top of Linux Audit. Would you be interested in the possibility of incorporating our system in the upstream version of Linux Audit? We envision a small extension to Linux Audit that would allow users to enable integrity protection for the logs if desired. For reference, this is our paper and this is our proof-of-concept implementation.
>
> Thanks very much in advance and best regards,
> Riccardo

Hi Riccardo,

Often it helps to discuss new features in the context of a patch
submission; it helps remove ambiguity and is an easy way to offer
feedback.  It would appear that you already have patches so I would
suggest you prepare those for posting on-list, complete with an
in-depth commit description, so we can discuss further.

If you are unfamiliar with submitting Linux kernel patches, the link
below may be helpful:

* https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html

--
paul moore