* selinux-testsuite failures, CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, and recent Rawhide builds
@ 2023-02-09 22:07 Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-02-09 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Hi all,

I just noticed a selinux-testsuite failure in the tests/file test:

# Test 8 got: "512" (file/test at line 103)
#   Expected: "0"
#  file/test line 103 is: ok( $result, 0 );
file/test ................... Failed 1/16 subtests

Digging into this a bit more it looks like the the fnctl(TIOCSTI) call
in test_sigiotask.c is failing due to a recent Rawhide change to
undefine CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, disabling TIOCSTI.  Upstream kernel
commit 83efeeeb3d04 ("tty: Allow TIOCSTI to be disabled") has more
information on the Kconfig option.

I'm not going to argue for reenabling CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, I think
turning it off is a good idea, but it does mean we need to adjust the
selinux-testsuite.

Also, as a note to the Fedora folks who will see this, maybe don't
tweak the Kconfig knobs when the kernel is at -rc7?  Seeing kernel
test failures late in the -rc7 stage doesn't do wonders for my sanity
;)

--
paul-moore.com

* Re: selinux-testsuite failures, CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, and recent Rawhide builds
@ 2023-02-10  8:35 ` Ondrej Mosnacek
From: Ondrej Mosnacek @ 2023-02-10  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore; +Cc: selinux

On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 11:09 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed a selinux-testsuite failure in the tests/file test:
>
> # Test 8 got: "512" (file/test at line 103)
> #   Expected: "0"
> #  file/test line 103 is: ok( $result, 0 );
> file/test ................... Failed 1/16 subtests
>
> Digging into this a bit more it looks like the the fnctl(TIOCSTI) call
> in test_sigiotask.c is failing due to a recent Rawhide change to
> undefine CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, disabling TIOCSTI.  Upstream kernel
> commit 83efeeeb3d04 ("tty: Allow TIOCSTI to be disabled") has more
> information on the Kconfig option.
>
> I'm not going to argue for reenabling CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, I think
> turning it off is a good idea, but it does mean we need to adjust the
> selinux-testsuite.

I noticed that in our CI yesterday and had a brief look. Unfortunately
I don't (yet) fully understand the terminal device voodoo being done
in test_sigiotask.c and I don't have any idea how to make it work
without TIOCSTI. So the best fix for now seems to be to use the
dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti sysctl (see the Kconfig). However, it seems to
be broken currently:

# sysctl dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti
# sysctl -w dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti=1
sysctl: setting key "/proc/sys/dev/tty/legacy_tiocsti": Invalid argument
#

I will look into fixing it...

> Also, as a note to the Fedora folks who will see this, maybe don't
> tweak the Kconfig knobs when the kernel is at -rc7?  Seeing kernel
> test failures late in the -rc7 stage doesn't do wonders for my sanity
> ;)

When new configs are added upstream, AFAIK, they are set to the
default value in the Fedora configs and marked as "pending". The
Fedora kernel maintainer (Justin Forbes) then at some point goes
through all pending configs and sets them to a value he deems best.
This time it happened around -rc7; I'm not going to speculate why or
if it's the usual practice. I recommend raising this on
kernel@lists.fedoraproject.org - Justin is always open to suggestions
and he might be able to accomodate this expectation.

--
Ondrej Mosnacek
Senior Software Engineer, Linux Security - SELinux kernel

* Re: selinux-testsuite failures, CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, and recent Rawhide builds
@ 2023-02-10 15:02   ` Ondrej Mosnacek
From: Ondrej Mosnacek @ 2023-02-10 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore; +Cc: selinux

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230210145823.756906-1-omosnace@redhat.com/

--

@ 2023-02-10 16:57   ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-02-10 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondrej Mosnacek; +Cc: selinux

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 3:36 AM Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 11:09 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just noticed a selinux-testsuite failure in the tests/file test:
> >
> > # Test 8 got: "512" (file/test at line 103)
> > #   Expected: "0"
> > #  file/test line 103 is: ok( $result, 0 );
> > file/test ................... Failed 1/16 subtests
> >
> > Digging into this a bit more it looks like the the fnctl(TIOCSTI) call
> > in test_sigiotask.c is failing due to a recent Rawhide change to
> > undefine CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, disabling TIOCSTI.  Upstream kernel
> > commit 83efeeeb3d04 ("tty: Allow TIOCSTI to be disabled") has more
> > information on the Kconfig option.
> >
> > I'm not going to argue for reenabling CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, I think
> > turning it off is a good idea, but it does mean we need to adjust the
> > selinux-testsuite.
>
> I noticed that in our CI yesterday and had a brief look. Unfortunately
> I don't (yet) fully understand the terminal device voodoo being done
> in test_sigiotask.c and I don't have any idea how to make it work
> without TIOCSTI. So the best fix for now seems to be to use the
> dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti sysctl (see the Kconfig). However, it seems to
> be broken currently:
>
> # sysctl dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti
> # sysctl -w dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti=1
> sysctl: setting key "/proc/sys/dev/tty/legacy_tiocsti": Invalid argument
> #

Yep, I got to that point last night and had to leave for the evening
so I fired off that email figuring you might get a chance to look into
it before I could.

Ultimately I think we'll probably still need to find some alternative
to using TIOCSTI, but I'll admit to not having spent much time at all
looking into how to do that.

> I will look into fixing it...

Thanks for getting to the root cause and posting the fix.

> > Also, as a note to the Fedora folks who will see this, maybe don't
> > tweak the Kconfig knobs when the kernel is at -rc7?  Seeing kernel
> > test failures late in the -rc7 stage doesn't do wonders for my sanity
> > ;)
>
> When new configs are added upstream, AFAIK, they are set to the
> default value in the Fedora configs and marked as "pending". The
> Fedora kernel maintainer (Justin Forbes) then at some point goes
> through all pending configs and sets them to a value he deems best.
> This time it happened around -rc7; I'm not going to speculate why or
> if it's the usual practice. I recommend raising this on
> kernel@lists.fedoraproject.org - Justin is always open to suggestions
> and he might be able to accomodate this expectation.

Thanks, I'll send a note.

--

@ 2023-02-10 17:30     ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-02-10 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondrej Mosnacek; +Cc: selinux

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 11:57 AM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 3:36 AM Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 11:09 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just noticed a selinux-testsuite failure in the tests/file test:
> > >
> > > # Test 8 got: "512" (file/test at line 103)
> > > #   Expected: "0"
> > > #  file/test line 103 is: ok( $result, 0 );
> > > file/test ................... Failed 1/16 subtests
> > >
> > > Digging into this a bit more it looks like the the fnctl(TIOCSTI) call
> > > in test_sigiotask.c is failing due to a recent Rawhide change to
> > > undefine CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, disabling TIOCSTI.  Upstream kernel
> > > commit 83efeeeb3d04 ("tty: Allow TIOCSTI to be disabled") has more
> > > information on the Kconfig option.
> > >
> > > I'm not going to argue for reenabling CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI, I think
> > > turning it off is a good idea, but it does mean we need to adjust the
> > > selinux-testsuite.
> >
> > I noticed that in our CI yesterday and had a brief look. Unfortunately
> > I don't (yet) fully understand the terminal device voodoo being done
> > in test_sigiotask.c and I don't have any idea how to make it work
> > without TIOCSTI. So the best fix for now seems to be to use the
> > dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti sysctl (see the Kconfig). However, it seems to
> > be broken currently:
> >
> > # sysctl dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti
> > # sysctl -w dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti=1
> > sysctl: setting key "/proc/sys/dev/tty/legacy_tiocsti": Invalid argument
> > #
>
> Yep, I got to that point last night and had to leave for the evening
> so I fired off that email figuring you might get a chance to look into
> it before I could.
>
> Ultimately I think we'll probably still need to find some alternative
> to using TIOCSTI, but I'll admit to not having spent much time at all
> looking into how to do that.
>
> > I will look into fixing it...
>
> Thanks for getting to the root cause and posting the fix.
>
> > > Also, as a note to the Fedora folks who will see this, maybe don't
> > > tweak the Kconfig knobs when the kernel is at -rc7?  Seeing kernel
> > > test failures late in the -rc7 stage doesn't do wonders for my sanity
> > > ;)
> >
> > When new configs are added upstream, AFAIK, they are set to the
> > default value in the Fedora configs and marked as "pending". The
> > Fedora kernel maintainer (Justin Forbes) then at some point goes
> > through all pending configs and sets them to a value he deems best.
> > This time it happened around -rc7; I'm not going to speculate why or
> > if it's the usual practice. I recommend raising this on
> > kernel@lists.fedoraproject.org - Justin is always open to suggestions
> > and he might be able to accomodate this expectation.
>
> Thanks, I'll send a note.

FWIW, it looks like the current Rawhide build is back to enabling
CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI.  My testing is back to running clean with
kernel 6.2.0-0.rc7.20230210git38c1e0c6.54.1.secnext.fc38.

--

@ 2023-02-14 21:59       ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-02-14 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondrej Mosnacek; +Cc: selinux

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 12:30 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 11:57 AM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:

> > > I noticed that in our CI yesterday and had a brief look. Unfortunately
> > > I don't (yet) fully understand the terminal device voodoo being done
> > > in test_sigiotask.c and I don't have any idea how to make it work
> > > without TIOCSTI. So the best fix for now seems to be to use the
> > > dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti sysctl (see the Kconfig). However, it seems to
> > > be broken currently:
> > >
> > > # sysctl dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti
> > > # sysctl -w dev.tty.legacy_tiocsti=1
> > > sysctl: setting key "/proc/sys/dev/tty/legacy_tiocsti": Invalid argument
> > > #
> >
> > Yep, I got to that point last night and had to leave for the evening
> > so I fired off that email figuring you might get a chance to look into
> > it before I could.
> >
> > Ultimately I think we'll probably still need to find some alternative
> > to using TIOCSTI, but I'll admit to not having spent much time at all
> > looking into how to do that.
> >
> > > I will look into fixing it...
> >
> > Thanks for getting to the root cause and posting the fix.

> > > When new configs are added upstream, AFAIK, they are set to the
> > > default value in the Fedora configs and marked as "pending". The
> > > Fedora kernel maintainer (Justin Forbes) then at some point goes
> > > through all pending configs and sets them to a value he deems best.
> > > This time it happened around -rc7; I'm not going to speculate why or
> > > if it's the usual practice. I recommend raising this on
> > > kernel@lists.fedoraproject.org - Justin is always open to suggestions
> > > and he might be able to accomodate this expectation.
> >
> > Thanks, I'll send a note.
>
> FWIW, it looks like the current Rawhide build is back to enabling
> CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI.  My testing is back to running clean with
> kernel 6.2.0-0.rc7.20230210git38c1e0c6.54.1.secnext.fc38.

That proved to be short lived.

Ondrej, would it be possible to disable the failing test until your
patch lands upstream and ends up in Rawhide?

--

@ 2023-02-15 10:18         ` Ondrej Mosnacek
From: Ondrej Mosnacek @ 2023-02-15 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore; +Cc: selinux

https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux-testsuite/commit/17fe94750dceb2f1a6a286cbe907718ca1b2fb8d

--

@ 2023-02-15 14:10           ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-02-15 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondrej Mosnacek; +Cc: selinux

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 5:18 AM Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 10:59 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:

> > Ondrej, would it be possible to disable the failing test until your
> > patch lands upstream and ends up in Rawhide?
>
> https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux-testsuite/commit/17fe94750dceb2f1a6a286cbe907718ca1b2fb8d

Thanks.

--
paul-moore.com