* hantro: g2: Does the postprocessor needs 32byte aligned width ?
@ 2022-01-28 18:35 Nicolas Dufresne
From: Nicolas Dufresne @ 2022-01-28 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Ford; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

Hi Adam,

Jernej and I had to deal with user report which show a stride issue with the G2
on Allwinner H6.

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/17565-nightly-images-for-a64-h3-h5-h6-and-r40-boards/?postID=166086#post166086

We quickly found that the stride alignment set to 16 needs to be 32. Though we
noticed that this is only needed when using the G2 postprocessor (NV12), while
it worked fine with tiles (NV12_4L4).

We were wondering if you, or anyone here on the list could test this on IMX8MQ
and IMX8MM. We'd like know if this is specific to the older G2 on H6. To trigger
this, you need a video with a resolution like 1552x1080 as used in the report.
We can help you get one if needed.

regards,
Nicolas

* Re: hantro: g2: Does the postprocessor needs 32byte aligned width ?
@ 2022-01-28 18:43 ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2022-01-28 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dufresne; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 12:35 PM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Jernej and I had to deal with user report which show a stride issue with the G2
> on Allwinner H6.
>
> https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/17565-nightly-images-for-a64-h3-h5-h6-and-r40-boards/?postID=166086#post166086
>
> We quickly found that the stride alignment set to 16 needs to be 32. Though we
> noticed that this is only needed when using the G2 postprocessor (NV12), while
> it worked fine with tiles (NV12_4L4).

Out of curiosity, would it hurt to make the G2 alignment to be 32 even
if it's not required?

> We were wondering if you, or anyone here on the list could test this on IMX8MQ
> and IMX8MM. We'd like know if this is specific to the older G2 on H6. To trigger
> this, you need a video with a resolution like 1552x1080 as used in the report.
> We can help you get one if needed.

If you have a video you want me to try and instructions on how you
want me to test it, I can give it a shot. The imx8mm doesn't have a
video display driver yet, but I think the imx8mq does.  I am not as
familiar with that board as I am with the 8mm.  The testing I have
done to date has only been done with fluster.

adam

@ 2022-01-31 14:29   ` Nicolas Dufresne
From: Nicolas Dufresne @ 2022-01-31 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Ford; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

Le vendredi 28 janvier 2022 à 12:43 -0600, Adam Ford a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 12:35 PM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Adam,
> >
> > Jernej and I had to deal with user report which show a stride issue with the G2
> > on Allwinner H6.
> >
> > https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/17565-nightly-images-for-a64-h3-h5-h6-and-r40-boards/?postID=166086#post166086
> >
> > We quickly found that the stride alignment set to 16 needs to be 32. Though we
> > noticed that this is only needed when using the G2 postprocessor (NV12), while
> > it worked fine with tiles (NV12_4L4).
>
> Out of curiosity, would it hurt to make the G2 alignment to be 32 even
> if it's not required?

Aligning tile to 32 can be complex, I don't think the code is ready to handle
padded tiled buffers. About the post-prob, I'd like to first understand why is
this.

> > We were wondering if you, or anyone here on the list could test this on IMX8MQ
> > and IMX8MM. We'd like know if this is specific to the older G2 on H6. To trigger
> > this, you need a video with a resolution like 1552x1080 as used in the report.
> > We can help you get one if needed.
>
> If you have a video you want me to try and instructions on how you
> want me to test it, I can give it a shot. The imx8mm doesn't have a
> video display driver yet, but I think the imx8mq does.  I am not as
> familiar with that board as I am with the 8mm.  The testing I have
> done to date has only been done with fluster.

If you have fluster/gstreamer ready, and some display, I suppose you can try and
kmssink (worked for me with the vendor display driver). To get the same video,
you can probably download temporarily that youtube video with youtube-dl,
careful not to share the file, this is copyrighted content, but it ease testing
and debugging, so I suspect it falls in fair use (INAL).

youtube-dl -f 248 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVcZfQe-Kw
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location="Dua Lipa - Levitating Featuring DaBaby (Official Music Video)-TUVcZfQe-Kw.webm" ! parsebin ! v4l2slvp9dec ! videoconvert ! kmssink

regards,
Nicolas

@ 2022-01-31 14:33     ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2022-01-31 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dufresne; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:29 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca> wrote:

> Le vendredi 28 janvier 2022 à 12:43 -0600, Adam Ford a écrit :
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 12:35 PM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Adam,
> > >
> > > Jernej and I had to deal with user report which show a stride issue with the G2
> > > on Allwinner H6.
> > >
> > > https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/17565-nightly-images-for-a64-h3-h5-h6-and-r40-boards/?postID=166086#post166086
> > >
> > > We quickly found that the stride alignment set to 16 needs to be 32. Though we
> > > noticed that this is only needed when using the G2 postprocessor (NV12), while
> > > it worked fine with tiles (NV12_4L4).
> >
> > Out of curiosity, would it hurt to make the G2 alignment to be 32 even
> > if it's not required?
>
> Aligning tile to 32 can be complex, I don't think the code is ready to handle
> padded tiled buffers. About the post-prob, I'd like to first understand why is
> this.
>

> > > We were wondering if you, or anyone here on the list could test this on IMX8MQ
> > > and IMX8MM. We'd like know if this is specific to the older G2 on H6. To trigger
> > > this, you need a video with a resolution like 1552x1080 as used in the report.
> > > We can help you get one if needed.
> >
> > If you have a video you want me to try and instructions on how you
> > want me to test it, I can give it a shot. The imx8mm doesn't have a
> > video display driver yet, but I think the imx8mq does.  I am not as
> > familiar with that board as I am with the 8mm.  The testing I have
> > done to date has only been done with fluster.
>
> If you have fluster/gstreamer ready, and some display, I suppose you can try and
> kmssink (worked for me with the vendor display driver). To get the same video,
> you can probably download temporarily that youtube video with youtube-dl,
> careful not to share the file, this is copyrighted content, but it ease testing
> and debugging, so I suspect it falls in fair use (INAL).
>
> youtube-dl -f 248 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVcZfQe-Kw
> gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location="Dua Lipa - Levitating Featuring DaBaby (Official Music Video)-TUVcZfQe-Kw.webm" ! parsebin ! v4l2slvp9dec ! videoconvert ! kmssink

Sounds good.  I have a few tasks to do before I can get back to this,
but I'll try to do it later today or tonight.

adam

@ 2022-02-02 11:01       ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2022-02-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dufresne; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:33 AM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:29 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca> wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity, would it hurt to make the G2 alignment to be 32 even
> > > if it's not required?
> >
> > Aligning tile to 32 can be complex, I don't think the code is ready to handle
> > padded tiled buffers. About the post-prob, I'd like to first understand why is
> > this.

> > > If you have a video you want me to try and instructions on how you
> > > want me to test it, I can give it a shot. The imx8mm doesn't have a
> > > video display driver yet, but I think the imx8mq does.  I am not as
> > > familiar with that board as I am with the 8mm.  The testing I have
> > > done to date has only been done with fluster.
> >
> > If you have fluster/gstreamer ready, and some display, I suppose you can try and
> > kmssink (worked for me with the vendor display driver). To get the same video,
> > you can probably download temporarily that youtube video with youtube-dl,
> > careful not to share the file, this is copyrighted content, but it ease testing
> > and debugging, so I suspect it falls in fair use (INAL).
> >
> > youtube-dl -f 248 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVcZfQe-Kw
> > gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location="Dua Lipa - Levitating Featuring DaBaby (Official Music Video)-TUVcZfQe-Kw.webm" ! parsebin ! v4l2slvp9dec ! videoconvert ! kmssink
>
> Sounds good.  I have a few tasks to do before I can get back to this,
> but I'll try to do it later today or tonight.

From what I can see, the HDMI driver for the imx8mq isn't available in
the kernel, so I cannot get video.  The NXP branch which has video
doesn't have the hantro drivers in question, so this isn't going to be
an easy task, because I cannot get video out of the imx8mq right now.

On the i.MX8M Mini, it's missing the DSI driver which is the only
video output supported by the Mini, so I can't get video out of it
either.  The NXP branch has the same limitations.

I could potentially attempt to run the video through the decoder and
then video convert to some still images or a different video format to
playback or review on a different device.  Let me know your thoughts
on that.  i am downloading the Dua Lipa video now, so I could
potentially try something when its finished.

adam

@ 2022-02-02 13:39         ` Nicolas Dufresne
From: Nicolas Dufresne @ 2022-02-02 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Ford; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

Le mercredi 02 février 2022 à 05:01 -0600, Adam Ford a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:33 AM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Aligning tile to 32 can be complex, I don't think the code is ready to handle
> > > padded tiled buffers. About the post-prob, I'd like to first understand why is
> > > this.

> > > If you have fluster/gstreamer ready, and some display, I suppose you can try and
> > > kmssink (worked for me with the vendor display driver). To get the same video,
> > > you can probably download temporarily that youtube video with youtube-dl,
> > > careful not to share the file, this is copyrighted content, but it ease testing
> > > and debugging, so I suspect it falls in fair use (INAL).
> > >
> > > youtube-dl -f 248 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVcZfQe-Kw
> > > gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location="Dua Lipa - Levitating Featuring DaBaby (Official Music Video)-TUVcZfQe-Kw.webm" ! parsebin ! v4l2slvp9dec ! videoconvert ! kmssink
> >
> > Sounds good.  I have a few tasks to do before I can get back to this,
> > but I'll try to do it later today or tonight.
>
> From what I can see, the HDMI driver for the imx8mq isn't available in
> the kernel, so I cannot get video.  The NXP branch which has video
> doesn't have the hantro drivers in question, so this isn't going to be
> an easy task, because I cannot get video out of the imx8mq right now.
>
> On the i.MX8M Mini, it's missing the DSI driver which is the only
> video output supported by the Mini, so I can't get video out of it
> either.  The NXP branch has the same limitations.
>
> I could potentially attempt to run the video through the decoder and
> then video convert to some still images or a different video format to
> playback or review on a different device.  Let me know your thoughts
> on that.  i am downloading the Dua Lipa video now, so I could
> potentially try something when its finished.

Ok, that would be best you can try indeed, normally running few frames through
software converter and recording as mjpeg could work to reproduce this. Thanks a
lot of this and sorry for the difficulty, let's hope the display driver
situation on these boards get better soon.

@ 2022-02-03 20:32           ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2022-02-03 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Dufresne; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 7:39 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca> wrote:

> Le mercredi 02 février 2022 à 05:01 -0600, Adam Ford a écrit :

> > > Sounds good.  I have a few tasks to do before I can get back to this,
> > > but I'll try to do it later today or tonight.
> >
> > From what I can see, the HDMI driver for the imx8mq isn't available in
> > the kernel, so I cannot get video.  The NXP branch which has video
> > doesn't have the hantro drivers in question, so this isn't going to be
> > an easy task, because I cannot get video out of the imx8mq right now.
> >
> > On the i.MX8M Mini, it's missing the DSI driver which is the only
> > video output supported by the Mini, so I can't get video out of it
> > either.  The NXP branch has the same limitations.
> >
> > I could potentially attempt to run the video through the decoder and
> > then video convert to some still images or a different video format to
> > playback or review on a different device.  Let me know your thoughts
> > on that.  i am downloading the Dua Lipa video now, so I could
> > potentially try something when its finished.
>
> Ok, that would be best you can try indeed, normally running few frames through
> software converter and recording as mjpeg could work to reproduce this. Thanks a
> lot of this and sorry for the difficulty, let's hope the display driver
> situation on these boards get better soon.

I ran about 15 seconds of the video through the decoder, then encoded
it with the JPEG encoder into an avi.

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=~/dl.webm ! parsebin ! v4l2slvp9dec !
videoconvert ! jpegenc ! avimux ! filesink location=mjpeg.avi

I can send you the AVI if you like, but the output image looked good
to me when I played it back on my desktop computer.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need me to do.

thanks,

adam

@ 2022-02-03 22:10             ` Nicolas Dufresne
From: Nicolas Dufresne @ 2022-02-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Ford; +Cc: jernej.skrabec, linux-media, kernel, Chris Healy

Le jeudi 03 février 2022 à 14:32 -0600, Adam Ford a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 7:39 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@ndufresne.ca> wrote:

> > > From what I can see, the HDMI driver for the imx8mq isn't available in
> > > the kernel, so I cannot get video.  The NXP branch which has video
> > > doesn't have the hantro drivers in question, so this isn't going to be
> > > an easy task, because I cannot get video out of the imx8mq right now.
> > >
> > > On the i.MX8M Mini, it's missing the DSI driver which is the only
> > > video output supported by the Mini, so I can't get video out of it
> > > either.  The NXP branch has the same limitations.
> > >
> > > I could potentially attempt to run the video through the decoder and
> > > then video convert to some still images or a different video format to
> > > playback or review on a different device.  Let me know your thoughts
> > > on that.  i am downloading the Dua Lipa video now, so I could
> > > potentially try something when its finished.
> >
> > Ok, that would be best you can try indeed, normally running few frames through
> > software converter and recording as mjpeg could work to reproduce this. Thanks a
> > lot of this and sorry for the difficulty, let's hope the display driver
> > situation on these boards get better soon.
>
> I ran about 15 seconds of the video through the decoder, then encoded
> it with the JPEG encoder into an avi.
>
> gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=~/dl.webm ! parsebin ! v4l2slvp9dec !
> videoconvert ! jpegenc ! avimux ! filesink location=mjpeg.avi
>
> I can send you the AVI if you like, but the output image looked good
> to me when I played it back on my desktop computer.
>
> Please let me know if there is anything else you need me to do.

Thanks, this should be enough. It would seem like this is a limitation of older
G2. Unless it is a limitation of the display on Allwinner, and the stride is not
being validated.