* PCIE support as loadable module
@ 2014-04-24  7:45 shiv prakash Agarwal
From: shiv prakash Agarwal @ 2014-04-24  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci, Bjorn Helgaas, Pratyush Anand, Yinghai Lu,
	Alex Williamson, Andrew Murray

Hi All,

Can we support PCIE driver as loadable module instead of including it in kernel?

* Re: PCIE support as loadable module
@ 2014-04-25  8:50 ` Pratyush Anand
From: Pratyush Anand @ 2014-04-25  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shiv prakash Agarwal
  Cc: linux-pci, Bjorn Helgaas, Yinghai Lu, Alex Williamson, Andrew Murray

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 03:45:58PM +0800, shiv prakash Agarwal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can we support PCIE driver as loadable module instead of including it in kernel?

I think it should work with current code. But, You will have to keep
all PCIe device (ep/card) driver also as module, and they must be
inserted only after host (RC) driver module.

* Re: PCIE support as loadable module
@ 2014-04-25 10:28   ` Lucas Stach
From: Lucas Stach @ 2014-04-25 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pratyush Anand
  Cc: shiv prakash Agarwal, linux-pci, Bjorn Helgaas, Yinghai Lu,

Am Freitag, den 25.04.2014, 14:20 +0530 schrieb Pratyush Anand:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 03:45:58PM +0800, shiv prakash Agarwal wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Can we support PCIE driver as loadable module instead of including it in kernel?
>
> I think it should work with current code. But, You will have to keep
> all PCIe device (ep/card) driver also as module, and they must be
> inserted only after host (RC) driver module.

Um, care to explain why?
I think the bus probing should only happen once the RC driver is there.
It shouldn't matter if device drivers are already registered at this
stage, their probe function will only be called when the bus gets
populated.

Regards,
Lucas
--
Pengutronix e.K.             | Lucas Stach                 |
Industrial Linux Solutions   | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |