* Don't understand BlueZ 5 GATT interface
@ 2017-02-09 19:10 Dave Beal
From: Dave Beal @ 2017-02-09 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hello -

I'm trying to write a GATT client using BlueZ 5.19. Neither Python nor
glib are available in my environment, so I'm reduced to using libdbus.
I understand that I call Bluez's RegisterProfile method to specify the
UUID of the profile/service that I want to connect to, and that when a
matching remote device is found, Bluez will call my NewConnection
method. (This currently isn't working for me, but that's a different
question, posed in an earlier email.) The NewConnection call passes a
file descriptor that I use to talk to the remote device. Then what?
What do I send over the connection in order to, for instance, read and
write an attribute? Link layer messages? ATT protocol commands?
Thanks!

- Dave Beal
  dbeal@cardinalpeak.com
  Cardinal Peak, LLC

* Re: Don't understand BlueZ 5 GATT interface
@ 2017-02-10 10:32 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2017-02-10 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Beal; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Dave,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Dave Beal <dbeal@cardinalpeak.com> wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I'm trying to write a GATT client using BlueZ 5.19. Neither Python nor
> glib are available in my environment, so I'm reduced to using libdbus.
> I understand that I call Bluez's RegisterProfile method to specify the
> UUID of the profile/service that I want to connect to, and that when a
> matching remote device is found, Bluez will call my NewConnection
> method. (This currently isn't working for me, but that's a different
> question, posed in an earlier email.) The NewConnection call passes a
> file descriptor that I use to talk to the remote device. Then what?
> What do I send over the connection in order to, for instance, read and
> write an attribute? Link layer messages? ATT protocol commands?
> Thanks!

5.19 is very old, can't you upgrade? Btw, while it is true that
RegisterProfile is used to program the auto-connect logic, it only
takes place once the device has been connected/paired already. Devices
that have been just discovered are considered temporary thus why
auto-connect logic don't work for them.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz