* dtc fails to compile <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>
@ 2017-03-30  9:20 Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
       [not found] ` <CAHKzcENCdMSxnUC1Ruv5-3hH+y4zpw_8O17_-yutWotLK5GjBw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz @ 2017-03-30  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

I build DT for thermal zone according to

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/thermal/thermal.txt#L261

but dtc (DTC 1.4.1-g53bf130b) fails with syntax error.

    Error: ../dts/xrx500.dtsi:1060.14-15 syntax error
    FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree

The problem is with cooling-device property

      cooling-maps {
295                         map0 {
296                                 trip = <&cpu_alert0>;
297                                 cooling-device =
298                                     <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>;
299                         };
300                 };

if I use phandle like <&cpu0> it compiles but  <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>; fails.

What could be a reason? any hint ?

Thanks
/Waldek

* Re: dtc fails to compile <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>
       [not found] ` <CAHKzcENCdMSxnUC1Ruv5-3hH+y4zpw_8O17_-yutWotLK5GjBw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-03-30 15:39   ` Rob Herring
       [not found]     ` <CAL_JsqKWCKoeFfUPTZ59j3f2mxma+EKu617c3ArOiy-ezTHa+A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Rob Herring @ 2017-03-30 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz; +Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
<waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I build DT for thermal zone according to
>
> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/thermal/thermal.txt#L261
>
> but dtc (DTC 1.4.1-g53bf130b) fails with syntax error.
>
>     Error: ../dts/xrx500.dtsi:1060.14-15 syntax error
>     FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree
>
> The problem is with cooling-device property
>
>       cooling-maps {
> 295                         map0 {
> 296                                 trip = <&cpu_alert0>;
> 297                                 cooling-device =
> 298                                     <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
> THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>;
> 299                         };
> 300                 };
>
> if I use phandle like <&cpu0> it compiles but  <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
> THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>; fails.
>
> What could be a reason? any hint ?

Did you run it thru the C preprocessor first? Simple #defines are
supported in dts files, but you have to use the C preprocessor before
passing to dtc. The builds of dts files in the kernel tree do this for
you.

Rob

@ 2017-03-31  8:25       ` Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
       [not found]         ` <CAHKzcEMwb4VMzq-T+b6JwP2UL+VGiTsbj75_Lgz4=v670Huuxg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz @ 2017-03-31  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring; +Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 30 March 2017 at 17:39, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
> <waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I build DT for thermal zone according to
>>
>> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/thermal/thermal.txt#L261
>>
>> but dtc (DTC 1.4.1-g53bf130b) fails with syntax error.
>>
>>     Error: ../dts/xrx500.dtsi:1060.14-15 syntax error
>>     FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree
>>
>> The problem is with cooling-device property
>>
>>       cooling-maps {
>> 295                         map0 {
>> 296                                 trip = <&cpu_alert0>;
>> 297                                 cooling-device =
>> 298                                     <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
>> THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>;
>> 299                         };
>> 300                 };
>>
>> if I use phandle like <&cpu0> it compiles but  <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
>> THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>; fails.
>>
>> What could be a reason? any hint ?
>
> Did you run it thru the C preprocessor first? Simple #defines are
> supported in dts files, but you have to use the C preprocessor before
> passing to dtc. The builds of dts files in the kernel tree do this for
> you.

Yes,  but preprocessor does not resolve  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT which is
located in include/linux/thermal.h as far as I can see.

$> mips-openwrt-linux-musl-cpp -nostdinc -x assembler-with-cpp
-I/linux/arch/mips/boot/dts -I/linux/arch/mips/boot/dts/include -undef
-D__DTS__  -o  foo.dtb.tmp  foo.dts

$> dtc -O dtb -i../dts/  -o foo.bin.dtb foo.bin.dtb.tmp
Error: ../dts/foo.dts:1061.14-15 syntax error
FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree

1061 •       •   <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>;

@ 2017-03-31 16:31           ` Rob Herring
       [not found]             ` <CAL_JsqKfamJFaWdvDNskp7+m-ihTZ4WxC4GbsVvHuYxv27gALw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Rob Herring @ 2017-03-31 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz; +Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:25 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
<waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 30 March 2017 at 17:39, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
>> <waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I build DT for thermal zone according to
>>>
>>> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/thermal/thermal.txt#L261
>>>
>>> but dtc (DTC 1.4.1-g53bf130b) fails with syntax error.
>>>
>>>     Error: ../dts/xrx500.dtsi:1060.14-15 syntax error
>>>     FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree
>>>
>>> The problem is with cooling-device property
>>>
>>>       cooling-maps {
>>> 295                         map0 {
>>> 296                                 trip = <&cpu_alert0>;
>>> 297                                 cooling-device =
>>> 298                                     <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
>>> THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>;
>>> 299                         };
>>> 300                 };
>>>
>>> if I use phandle like <&cpu0> it compiles but  <&cpu0 THERMAL_NO_LIMIT
>>> THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>; fails.
>>>
>>> What could be a reason? any hint ?
>>
>> Did you run it thru the C preprocessor first? Simple #defines are
>> supported in dts files, but you have to use the C preprocessor before
>> passing to dtc. The builds of dts files in the kernel tree do this for
>> you.
>
> Yes,  but preprocessor does not resolve  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT which is
> located in include/linux/thermal.h as far as I can see.

That's by design. dts files should only include include/dt-bindings/*
as they are part of the ABI.

Rob

@ 2017-04-03 11:25               ` Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
       [not found]                 ` <CAHKzcEPcEz_vNU7Y6Pm=LkbK+Mk0m6X_z2-K9nTrdaqMVxvUyg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz @ 2017-04-03 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring; +Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 31 March 2017 at 18:31, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:25 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
> <waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On 30 March 2017 at 17:39, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Did you run it thru the C preprocessor first? Simple #defines are
>>> supported in dts files, but you have to use the C preprocessor before
>>> passing to dtc. The builds of dts files in the kernel tree do this for
>>> you.
>>
>> Yes,  but preprocessor does not resolve  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT which is
>> located in include/linux/thermal.h as far as I can see.
>
> That's by design. dts files should only include include/dt-bindings/*
> as they are part of the ABI.

So, why does dtc fails on  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT if this is defined in
include/dt-bindings/thermal/thermal.h?

@ 2017-04-03 12:55                   ` Rob Herring
       [not found]                     ` <CAL_JsqKx4jxDsQNoZ+UB4FNKNTfo5Gzi89KQa2j9J9OeSyJN2w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Rob Herring @ 2017-04-03 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz; +Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
<waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 31 March 2017 at 18:31, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:25 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
>> <waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Yes,  but preprocessor does not resolve  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT which is
>>> located in include/linux/thermal.h as far as I can see.
>>
>> That's by design. dts files should only include include/dt-bindings/*
>> as they are part of the ABI.
>
> So, why does dtc fails on  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT if this is defined in
> include/dt-bindings/thermal/thermal.h?

It is and there are there are lots of users in the tree that all
compile. Maybe something mips specific is not picking up the include
path?

Rob

@ 2017-04-04  7:50                       ` Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
       [not found]                         ` <CAHKzcENOuF8sUh=P=MX=YWZ6z-dS0fDQKLxoovL1emG1wD2TLA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz @ 2017-04-04  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring; +Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 3 April 2017 at 14:55, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
> <waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On 31 March 2017 at 18:31, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> That's by design. dts files should only include include/dt-bindings/*
>>> as they are part of the ABI.
>>
>> So, why does dtc fails on  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT if this is defined in
>> include/dt-bindings/thermal/thermal.h?
>
> It is and there are there are lots of users in the tree that all
> compile. Maybe something mips specific is not picking up the include
> path?

Indeed, I see it now :) Many thanks for helping me to understand this better.

@ 2017-04-04 17:38                           ` Chris Arena
       [not found]                             ` <22317de6-0ebd-cb73-6ac7-50ac77c97b97-he4hYjBaFPgS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Arena @ 2017-04-04 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz, Rob Herring; +Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 4/4/17 3:50 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz wrote:
> On 3 April 2017 at 14:55, Rob Herring <robh-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
>> <waldemar.rymarkiewicz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> So, why does dtc fails on  THERMAL_NO_LIMIT if this is defined in
>>> include/dt-bindings/thermal/thermal.h?
>>
>> It is and there are there are lots of users in the tree that all
>> compile. Maybe something mips specific is not picking up the include
>> path?
>
> Indeed, I see it now :) Many thanks for helping me to understand this better.
>
> Waldek

Waldek,

Perhaps you could share what you found so that you won't leave us all
hanging here wondering how to fix problems such as this?

Chris

@ 2017-04-04 19:00                               ` Waldemar Rymarkiewicz
From: Waldemar Rymarkiewicz @ 2017-04-04 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Arena; +Cc: Rob Herring, devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> Perhaps you could share what you found so that you won't leave us all
> hanging here wondering how to fix problems such as this?
>
> Chris

Sorry for not being specific here. The issue became obvious if I
looked  on another similar dts that you have explicitly #include
dt-binding  you are interested in :), nothing mips related just
noticed I was missing  #include <bt-binding/thermal/thermal.h>

/Waldek