From: Sylvain Munaut <246tnt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Cc: "Koenig,
	Christian" <Christian.Koenig-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>,
	amd-gfx list
	<amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Spontaneous reboots when using RX 560
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 01:41:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Finally some progress !

I found a thread with a couple of people having the same symptoms as I
do ( [1] ), and interestingly that was with the same brand & model of
card.
Although there is no solution, there is a work around that works :

echo -n low  > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

Then the card seems stable. At least I was able to get through an
entire GL benchmark and also a bunch of CL tests without crashing. (By
default it crashes nearly instantly).
Of course the card is slow but it's better than nothing and maybe
gives a clue to a solution ?

Following some advice on IRC, I also tried setting it to "high". This
doesn't crash immediately when doing that and the display stays fine
and I can move window and light stuff, but trying to actually run GL
or CL stuff and it then crashes.

I also dumped the Power Play tables, see [2]. I can't really
understand them, there is definitely some weird values, but not sure
if that's normal or not.

As I noted earlier in the thread, when I first used the card on
windows, using just AMD's driver the card was stuck at its lowest
clock rate and performed poorly in benchmark. It was only after I
loaded Asrock's own tweak utility that the card started to auto adapt
its clock / voltages.  Not sure if there is a way to dump windows
power play config ?

Cheers,

   Sylvain

[1] https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/1112121-rx-560-crash-under-light-load