* net: wwan: ethernet interface support
@ 2022-03-19 15:21 Kumar, M Chetan
From: Kumar, M Chetan @ 2022-03-19 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Poulain, Sergey Ryazanov, Johannes Berg
  Cc: netdev, Jakub Kicinski, David S. Miller, Sudi, Krishna C, linuxwwan

Hi All,

Release16 5G WWAN Device need to support Ethernet interface for TSN requirement.
So far WWAN interface are of IP type. Is there any plan to scale it to support
ethernet interface type ?

Any thought process on TSN requirement support.

Regards,
Chetan

* Re: net: wwan: ethernet interface support
@ 2022-03-19 18:34 ` Sergey Ryazanov
From: Sergey Ryazanov @ 2022-03-19 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar, M Chetan
  Cc: Loic Poulain, Johannes Berg, netdev, Jakub Kicinski,
	David S. Miller, Sudi, Krishna C, Intel Corporation

Hello,

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM Kumar, M Chetan
<m.chetan.kumar@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Release16 5G WWAN Device need to support Ethernet interface for TSN requirement.
> So far WWAN interface are of IP type. Is there any plan to scale it to support
> ethernet interface type ?

What did you mean when you talked about supporting interfaces of Ethernet type?

The WWAN subsystem provides an interface for users to request the
creation of a network interface from a modem driver. At the moment,
all modem drivers that support the WWAN subsystem integration create
network interfaces of the ARPHRD_NONE or ARPHRD_RAWIP type. But it is
up to the driver what type of interface it will create. At any time,
the driver can decide to create an ARPHRD_ETHER network interface, and
it will be Ok.

> Any thought process on TSN requirement support.

Could you please elaborate what specific protocol or feature should be
implemented for it?

--
Sergey

* Re: net: wwan: ethernet interface support
@ 2022-03-23 17:06   ` Loic Poulain
From: Loic Poulain @ 2022-03-23 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Ryazanov
  Cc: Kumar, M Chetan, Johannes Berg, netdev, Jakub Kicinski,

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 19:34, Sergey Ryazanov <ryazanov.s.a@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM Kumar, M Chetan
> <m.chetan.kumar@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Release16 5G WWAN Device need to support Ethernet interface for TSN requirement.
> > So far WWAN interface are of IP type. Is there any plan to scale it to support
> > ethernet interface type ?
>
> What did you mean when you talked about supporting interfaces of Ethernet type?
>
> The WWAN subsystem provides an interface for users to request the
> creation of a network interface from a modem driver. At the moment,
> all modem drivers that support the WWAN subsystem integration create
> network interfaces of the ARPHRD_NONE or ARPHRD_RAWIP type. But it is
> up to the driver what type of interface it will create. At any time,
> the driver can decide to create an ARPHRD_ETHER network interface, and
> it will be Ok.

Agree, WWAN does not require a specific type, so you can do whatever
you want in the newlink callback.

Should a modem/driver be able to expose mixed interface types (e.g. ip
+ eth), in that case we probably need to add extra param to newlink.

@ 2022-03-23 17:36     ` Kumar, M Chetan
From: Kumar, M Chetan @ 2022-03-23 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: loic.poulain@linaro.org >> Loic Poulain, Sergey Ryazanov
  Cc: Johannes Berg, netdev, Jakub Kicinski, David S. Miller, Sudi,

On 3/23/2022 10:36 PM, Loic Poulain wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 19:34, Sergey Ryazanov <ryazanov.s.a@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM Kumar, M Chetan
>> <m.chetan.kumar@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>> Release16 5G WWAN Device need to support Ethernet interface for TSN requirement.
>>> So far WWAN interface are of IP type. Is there any plan to scale it to support
>>> ethernet interface type ?
>>
>> What did you mean when you talked about supporting interfaces of Ethernet type?
>>
>> The WWAN subsystem provides an interface for users to request the
>> creation of a network interface from a modem driver. At the moment,
>> all modem drivers that support the WWAN subsystem integration create
>> network interfaces of the ARPHRD_NONE or ARPHRD_RAWIP type. But it is
>> up to the driver what type of interface it will create. At any time,
>> the driver can decide to create an ARPHRD_ETHER network interface, and
>> it will be Ok.
>
> Agree, WWAN does not require a specific type, so you can do whatever
> you want in the newlink callback.
>
> Should a modem/driver be able to expose mixed interface types (e.g. ip
> + eth), in that case we probably need to add extra param to newlink.

The wwan device which is complaint to 3GPP release16 specification (TSN
supported) will have to create both the types of interfaces ARPHRD_RAWIP/
ARPHRD_NONE to carry default IP traffic and ARPHRD_ETHER for carrying TSN
specific traffic.

Since both can co-exist can we consider this extra param added to newlink to
distinguish
1> Ethernet interface creation from ip interface
2> Ethernet interface to session id mapping.

Kindly provide your inputs.