* [USB-Audio - PX USB, playback] snd-usb-audio: probe of 2-3:1.0 failed with error -22 after kernel upgrade
@ 2018-10-28 21:00 Mutz Heuer
From: Mutz Heuer @ 2018-10-28 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

USB-Audio Connection on Bowers & Wilkens PX Bluetooth Headphones started
working when upgrading kernel from 4.13 to 4.15 series. Then it suddenly
stopped working again on newer kernels. The bug report has been generated
on the latest working mainline kernel 4.15.7. All newer kernels have some
usb quirks in place, which should fix the playback sample rates to 48 kHz.
The quirk seems not to be working correctly - it seems to hinder the audio
system to recognize the USB-device as a sound device.

The Headphones work on kernels before 4,15.7 when manually configuring
pulseaudio to a default samplerate of 48 kHz.

PX Headphones are on the newest firmware level.

See https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10265345/. Dropping that patch and
recompiling the kernel leads to a situation where alsa and pulseaudio seem
to to be working again.

Adding

      default-sample-rate = 48000

to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf leads to working headphones.

Maybe the patch has to be adjusted to newer firmware? A quirk seems to be
really necessary to avoid the specific patch to daemon.conf.

More details can be found in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1773697
What would be the best way to proceed?

* Re: [USB-Audio - PX USB, playback] snd-usb-audio: probe of 2-3:1.0 failed with error -22 after kernel upgrade
@ 2018-10-30 11:24 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-10-30 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mutz Heuer; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 22:00:35 +0100,
Mutz Heuer wrote:

> USB-Audio Connection on Bowers & Wilkens PX Bluetooth Headphones started
> working when upgrading kernel from 4.13 to 4.15 series. Then it suddenly
> stopped working again on newer kernels. The bug report has been generated
> on the latest working mainline kernel 4.15.7. All newer kernels have some
> usb quirks in place, which should fix the playback sample rates to 48 kHz.
> The quirk seems not to be working correctly - it seems to hinder the audio
> system to recognize the USB-device as a sound device.
>
> The Headphones work on kernels before 4,15.7 when manually configuring
> pulseaudio to a default samplerate of 48 kHz.
>
> PX Headphones are on the newest firmware level.
>
> See https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10265345/. Dropping that patch and
> recompiling the kernel leads to a situation where alsa and pulseaudio seem
> to to be working again.
>
> Adding
>
>       default-sample-rate = 48000
>
> to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf leads to working headphones.
>
> Maybe the patch has to be adjusted to newer firmware? A quirk seems to be
> really necessary to avoid the specific patch to daemon.conf.
>

> More details can be found in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1773697
> What would be the best way to proceed?

Could you check the latest Linus git tree (or for-linus branch of
sound git tree)?  The workaround for the buggy firmware was already
included there.  Let me know if it still doesn't suffice.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: [USB-Audio - PX USB, playback] snd-usb-audio: probe of 2-3:1.0 failed with error -22 after kernel upgrade
@ 2018-10-30 18:45   ` Mutz Heuer
From: Mutz Heuer @ 2018-10-30 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

I checked the source code of quirks-table.h on branch 4.19-rc8. It still
contains the problematic workaround. It doesn't seem to fit any longer to
the headphones current firmware. Checking the 4.15.7 kernel (without the
quirk) works much better. At least the device is shown in the mixer and
fixing the samplerate to 48kHz leads to a useful configuration. To be
honest I do not really understand how to define a fixed table for supported
sample rate without fiddling with other parameters. The HID seems to
working too. At least I am able to use the headphone buttons to in/decrease
the volume and to stop and restart playback. The microphone is not shown -
but that does not seem to work on windows either - as far as I understand
the orginal patch to support the headphones.

With the qurik in place I get no really helpful error messages ...

I hope that helps to clarify the situation,

Mutz

@ 2018-10-30 20:33     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2018-10-30 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mutz Heuer; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 19:45:36 +0100,
Mutz Heuer wrote:

> I checked the source code of quirks-table.h on branch 4.19-rc8.

It's too old :)

Linus git tree already contains more fixes, and the corresponding one
is commit c369c8db15d51fa175d2ba85928f79d16af6b562

Takashi

@ 2018-11-01 12:57       ` Mutz Heuer
From: Mutz Heuer @ 2018-11-01 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

You are right, I did not switch to the master branch. The fix is on master
and I tested the daily ubuntu mainline kernel.

% uname -a                                       ✔  180  13:46:26
Linux ThinkPad-X220 4.19.0-999-lowlatency #201810312202 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov
1 02:11:24 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

That fixes the problem and I could drop the pulseaudio configuration also.

Currently happily listening to Berlin Philharmonic String Quintet: A.Dvorák
- String Quintet Op.77: I Allegro con fuoco – Più mosso 8-)

I updated the lauchpad bug (hopefully did the right things there).

Thanks a lot and sorry for the inconvenience,

Mutz