* X.Org GSoC 2019 - Student Application Period
@ 2019-03-26 14:32 Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2019-03-26 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twoerner-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: piglit-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	xorg-devel-go0+a7rfsptAfugRpC6u6w,
	etnaviv-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	dri-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	wayland-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	mesa-dev-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	freedreno-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I'm happy to announce that the X.Org Foundation has been chosen to
participate in this year's GSoC program!

Students have from now until April 9th to submit their proposals.

Students will be looking at https://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/ and
https://www.x.org/wiki/ToDo/ for ideas. Please take a moment to review those
lists to see:

- are these valid ideas?
- should items be removed?
- are there items that can be added?

Also, please consider signing up to mentor. All the student enthusiasm in the
world can't be put to any use if there are no mentors. A mentor only needs to
provide technical direction and grading, all other aspects of the program will
be handled by myself.

If you have any updates to the ideas pages or are interested in mentoring,
please get in touch!

Students:

Application requirements:
 * Applicants meet Google's requirements for participation in Summer of Code.
 * Applicants are in regular and close contact with their X.Org mentors and the community (IRC, email)
 * Applicants know their target programming language.
 * Applicants must successfully upstream a simple patch to demonstrate they know the process.
 * Applicants are willing to blog weekly and interact with the community (failure to do so will result in a fail at the next review)

Check out https://www.x.org/wiki/GSoCApplication/ for information about how to apply.

* Re: [Piglit] X.Org GSoC 2019 - Student Application Period
@ 2019-03-26 14:40 ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]   ` <CAKb7Uvh7QAJhJb4JU5J=KdWqv=9EdFS6bXFy4iThnW6ioqK1mA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2019-03-26 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau

[-everyone except nouveau]

Just looked over the projects... they all seem valid, but are there
people who could realistically mentor a GSoC student for these? IMHO
unless mentors can be identified, these should all be archived.

Cheers,

  -ilia

@ 2019-03-26 14:56     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2019-03-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau

On Tue 2019-03-26 @ 10:40:49 AM, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> Just looked over the projects... they all seem valid

Thank you for taking the time to have a look and provide feedback!

> but are there
> people who could realistically mentor a GSoC student for these? IMHO
> unless mentors can be identified, these should all be archived.

Attracting mentors is probably the hardest part of running GSoC. Perhaps if a
student shows interest in a given topic, someone might be inspired to sign up
as a mentor?

Keeping the list of ideas up-to-date and finding mentors are the two things
I'm hoping to make a noticeable improvement to this year. It also ties in
strongly with:

	https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/issues/76

Best regards,
	Trevor

* Re: [Piglit] X.Org GSoC 2019 - Student Application Period
@ 2019-03-26 15:07       ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]         ` <CAKb7UviCLvPG+71PY2E52dQBAm5KKVRd4oSPM=Hy5CutvLmhug-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2019-03-26 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: nouveau

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:56 AM Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue 2019-03-26 @ 10:40:49 AM, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> > Just looked over the projects... they all seem valid
>
> Thank you for taking the time to have a look and provide feedback!
>
> > but are there
> > people who could realistically mentor a GSoC student for these? IMHO
> > unless mentors can be identified, these should all be archived.
>
> Attracting mentors is probably the hardest part of running GSoC. Perhaps if a
> student shows interest in a given topic, someone might be inspired to sign up
> as a mentor?
>
> Keeping the list of ideas up-to-date and finding mentors are the two things
> I'm hoping to make a noticeable improvement to this year. It also ties in
> strongly with:
>
>         https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/issues/76
>
> Best regards,
>         Trevor

BTW - I meant my comment to only apply to nouveau-related projects.
Both in terms of validity, as well as mentorship-unavailability.

It sucks for a student to come in, think that some project is
available to work on, only to find that there's no one who can mentor
them. I don't know how often that happens, but I bet it's "sometimes".
Better to get them to dedicate themselves to projects that do have
mentors available.

[And yeah, I know these are meant as "ideas", but I think in practice
it's "here's a list of projects for you to select from". Only a very
rare student will come up with their own idea.]

  -ilia

@ 2019-03-26 15:22           ` Roy Spliet
       [not found]             ` <094a674b-b7cb-5e54-8a3a-2c5b8f0669f2-NQbd8FSOZ1kdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Roy Spliet @ 2019-03-26 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Thanks for reaching out on the matter Ilia.
I am not to be relied on. If you're lucky, I might be able to take some
questions about past work, but cannot make a solid time commitment that
warrants being a mentor.
Of course, the mentor does not necessarily have to have the deepest
understanding of the subject matter. *At the end of the GSOC* a good
student should be trusted with having more knowledge on the specific
topic than the mentor. That being said, DVFS is fidgetty and the outcome
is binary (it either works or crashes your machine spectacularly), so
it's difficult to get someone started and keep 'em motivated if as a
mentor you don't have experience on the topic. As such, I'd consider it
a high risk topic to promote unless one of the relative veteran
developers (Ben, Martin, Karol, or Lyude in the case of clock/power
gating) is keen to mentor.

Roy

@ 2019-03-27 19:37               ` Karol Herbst
       [not found]                 ` <CACO55tv_ZaMqEm9OXH9kRr5VGh2ZqtsOTOx2e879FzMNEiM3Hw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Karol Herbst @ 2019-03-27 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Spliet; +Cc: nouveau

well generally I would be available for all the nouveau projects,
although I am lacking proper knowledge for a few of those like video
acceleration. But I am sure I would be able to dig into stuff enough
before the projects starts.

@ 2019-03-28  5:40                   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2019-03-28  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Herbst; +Cc: nouveau