* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
       [not found] <CB44467D.2D31%donald.poole@swri.org>
@ 2012-01-24 19:59 ` Poole, Donald R.
From: Poole, Donald R. @ 2012-01-24 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at sunsite.dk<mailto:jacmet@sunsite.dk>> wrote:
>>>>> "Donald" == Donald Poole <donny3000 at gmail.com<mailto:donny3000@gmail.com>> writes:

Hi,

CC'ed the buildroot list. Please keep replies on the list as well.

 Donald> Hello Peter,

 Donald>     First off, I would like to send my thanks and gratitude to
 Donald>     you and your team for creating/maintaining the buildroot
 Donald>     embedded filesystem generator.   It is a wonderful tool
 Donald>     that has save me (and I'm sure countless others) a lot of
 Donald>     time putting together a robust working filesytem for
 Donald>     embedded systems.

Thanks!

 Donald>     But, I do have a question regarding how
 Donald>     to login into the system once the filesystem is copied over
 Donald>     to the flash medium, nfs, etc.  Is there a particular
 Donald>     username/password to use for logging into the system once
 Donald>     booted?  I've searched the internet and read a lot of
 Donald>     mailing lists and forums with no success.  My only solution
 Donald>     is to edit the /etc/inittab file and add the -n option for
 Donald>     no login prompt.  But I'd like use the login prompt for
 Donald>     security and not having to hack the /etc/inittab file as a
 Donald>     work-around.  I'm sure it's something dirt simple that I'm
 Donald>     missing, but I can't seem to put a finger on it.  Any help
 Donald>     would be greatly appreciated!   Thanks in advance!

Ehh, unless you are using a custom filesystem skeleton, you should have
a root user without any password set. Does that not work for you?

If it doesn't, then please provide some more details about your setup
(buildroot config, how you boot your system, error messages?, ..)

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

Unfortunately, if I use the root user get a "Login Incorrect" message and a new login prompt that looks like this:
Starting input-event-daemon: done

Welcome to VICTORY Embedded
victory-embedded login: root
Login incorrect

victory-embedded login:

I'm using the default filesystem skeleton.  I'm not sure what buildroot config information would be helpful, so I will need some more direction on what to give you guys for assistance. But i am using udev, my getty port is ttymxc0 at 115200 baudrate and I'm using BusyBox 1.19.x in the "Package Selection for Target" configuration.  I'm also using buildroot version builroot-2011.11.

Thanks,
Donald R. Poole, Jr.
Research Engineer
Voice: 210.522.3131 | Fax: 210.522.4931
Tactical Networks & Communications (tacticalnetworks.swri.org)
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-01-26  7:01   ` Sinan Akman
From: Sinan Akman @ 2012-01-26  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 01/24/2012 02:59 PM, Poole, Donald R. wrote:

> Unfortunately, if I use the root user get a "Login Incorrect" message and a new login prompt that looks like this:
> Starting input-event-daemon: done
>
> Welcome to VICTORY Embedded
> victory-embedded login: root
> Login incorrect

   Donald, I am not sure if this is what you are asking but if you are
using imx53Loco board with rootfs that it ships with, you are probably
aware that you will have to enter user name : lucid  and password : lucid.

   -- sinan

* [Buildroot] Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-01-26 14:59     ` Poole, Donald R.
From: Poole, Donald R. @ 2012-01-26 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 1/26/12 1:01 AM, "Sinan Akman" <sinan@writeme.com> wrote:

>On 01/24/2012 02:59 PM, Poole, Donald R. wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, if I use the root user get a "Login Incorrect" message
>>and a new login prompt that looks like this:
>> Starting input-event-daemon: done
>>
>> Welcome to VICTORY Embedded
>> victory-embedded login: root
>> Login incorrect
>
>   Donald, I am not sure if this is what you are asking but if you are
>using imx53Loco board with rootfs that it ships with, you are probably
>aware that you will have to enter user name : lucid  and password : lucid.
>
>   -- sinan

Thanks Sinan for your reply.  I am using the imx53loco board and I am
aware that the user/password is lucid/lucid.  I am developing a custom
rootfs without a desktop environment from scratch using build root and I
am having trouble logging into the system with the appropriate user/pass.

@ 2012-02-07  8:51   ` Samuel Martin
From: Samuel Martin @ 2012-02-07  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

> Unfortunately, if I use the root user get a "Login Incorrect" message and a
> new login prompt that looks like this:
> Starting input-event-daemon: done
>
> Welcome to VICTORY Embedded
> victory-embedded login: root
> Login incorrect
>
> victory-embedded login:

It may be stupid, but could you check that /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
are valid in the rootfs.
I did spend some time debugging rootfs with a valid /etc/passwd and
empty /etc/shadow whereas it should not.

Sam

* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-02-08  6:28     ` Poole, Donald R.
From: Poole, Donald R. @ 2012-02-08  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 2/7/12 2:51 AM, "Samuel Martin" <s.martin49@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Unfortunately, if I use the root user get a "Login Incorrect" message
>>and a
>> new login prompt that looks like this:
>> Starting input-event-daemon: done
>>
>> Welcome to VICTORY Embedded
>> victory-embedded login: root
>> Login incorrect
>>
>> victory-embedded login:
>>

>It may be stupid, but could you check that /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
>are valid in the rootfs.
>I did spend some time debugging rootfs with a valid /etc/passwd and
>empty /etc/shadow whereas it should not.
>

>Sam

Sam, I took a look at my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in my rootfs and each
file is populated, but how do I know if they are valid?

* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-02-08  6:57       ` Mark Constable
From: Mark Constable @ 2012-02-08  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 08/02/12 16:28, Poole, Donald R. wrote:
> Sam, I took a look at my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in my rootfs
> and each file is populated, but how do I know if they are valid?

FWIW I find on a fresh install I have to login as "default" and then
"su -" to root.

* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-02-08  7:49         ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2012-02-08  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Mark> On 08/02/12 16:28, Poole, Donald R. wrote:
 >> Sam, I took a look at my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in my rootfs
 >> and each file is populated, but how do I know if they are valid?

 Mark> FWIW I find on a fresh install I have to login as "default" and then
 Mark> "su -" to root.

With the default skeleton the root user has an empty password, so you
should be able to login as root on the console (not ssh, as that
typically doesn't allow empty passwords).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-02-08  9:38           ` Samuel Martin
From: Samuel Martin @ 2012-02-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

2012/2/8 Peter Korsgaard <jacmet@uclibc.org>:

> ?Mark> On 08/02/12 16:28, Poole, Donald R. wrote:
> ?>> Sam, I took a look at my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in my rootfs
> ?>> and each file is populated, but how do I know if they are valid?

http://linux.die.net/man/5/passwd
http://linux.die.net/man/5/shadow
or
have a look at the default files are located in ./fs/skeleton/etc
(they are valid, of course).

--
Sam

* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-02-08 20:04           ` Mark Constable
From: Mark Constable @ 2012-02-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed 08 Feb 2012 17:49:46 EST, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
>  Mark> FWIW I find on a fresh install I have to login as "default" and then
>  Mark> "su -" to root.
>
> With the default skeleton the root user has an empty password, so you
> should be able to login as root on the console (not ssh, as that
> typically doesn't allow empty passwords).

Right, I was struggling to find the right inittab entry for a "normal"
console
login and had used /bin/login which seems to demand a non-root login.
Once
I tried this it let me in as root without a password...

tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

It would have saved me a lot of time if this entry was in /etc/inittab,
even if
it was commented out.

* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-02-08 21:18             ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2012-02-08 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Mark> Right, I was struggling to find the right inittab entry for a
 Mark> "normal" console login and had used /bin/login which seems to
 Mark> demand a non-root login.  Once I tried this it let me in as root
 Mark> without a password...

 Mark> tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

 Mark> It would have saved me a lot of time if this entry was in
 Mark> /etc/inittab, even if it was commented out.

We used to have hardcoded tty1/tty2 lines, but we removed those give
lots of error messages if the kernel isn't compiled with virtual
terminals support (which is fairly common on embedded) - See commit
7d9d09db673a.

It's hard to provide sensible defaults for everyone (E.G. names of
UART device nodes differ between boards), but atleast we have the '
We atleast provide the "Port to run a getty (login prompt) on" option
under System configuration to make it easy to configure.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] FW: Buildroot RFS Login Question
@ 2012-03-01 15:11               ` Daniel Nyström
From: Daniel Nyström @ 2012-03-01 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet@uclibc.org> wrote:

> ?Mark> Right, I was struggling to find the right inittab entry for a
> ?Mark> "normal" console login and had used /bin/login which seems to
> ?Mark> demand a non-root login. ?Once I tried this it let me in as root
> ?Mark> without a password...
>
> ?Mark> tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
>
> ?Mark> It would have saved me a lot of time if this entry was in
> ?Mark> /etc/inittab, even if it was commented out.
>
> We used to have hardcoded tty1/tty2 lines, but we removed those give
> lots of error messages if the kernel isn't compiled with virtual
> terminals support (which is fairly common on embedded) - See commit
> 7d9d09db673a.
>
> It's hard to provide sensible defaults for everyone (E.G. names of
> UART device nodes differ between boards), but atleast we have the '
> We atleast provide the "Port to run a getty (login prompt) on" option
> under System configuration to make it easy to configure.

If you put this line in /etc/inittab it will create a login prompt on
the same port as set as console in kernel cmdline:

::respawn:-/bin/login

Are there any reasons having getty in between?