* [ath9k-devel] ath9k MP mode and DFS
@ 2013-06-18 11:30 Vertical Limit
From: Vertical Limit @ 2013-06-18 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi all,

I am currently very confused about the 802.11h implementation of ath9k. DFS
is more important than TPC for me as I could live with a maximum output
power lowered by 3dB. I would need it for an outdoor application of an
802.11n 5GHz mesh. I am using Ubiquity SR71-15 (AR9220) cards, ALIX 3d2
boards, 3.8.11-voyage kernel (http://linux.voyage.hk), regulatory set to AT
(Austria).

1) For managed mode, this seems to be implemented (although I never tested
it).
2) For IBSS mode, there is no implementation as I cannot select a channel
requiring radar detection.
3) But I can select radar detection channels when using 802.11s mesh point
mode. Does this mean, that there is some distributed DFS approach (like
Cisco is offering) implemented or is it just a bug and it shouldn't be
configurable? If no DFS is implemented for MP mode until now, is it planned
or will ath9k never support 802.11h for meshed operation modes?

Thanks for your answers!
Thomas
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] ath9k MP mode and DFS
@ 2013-06-18 18:42 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-06-18 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

IBSS mode requires _all_ nodes to do DFS, and a master mode to be
elected and handle the channel change announcement.

There's a bit more to implement there.

adrian

@ 2013-06-19  8:16   ` Vertical Limit
From: Vertical Limit @ 2013-06-19  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

That's clear. But I want to know the current status. Is DFS working in
AP/Client mode? I guess only for two chipsets (AR9280, AR9580):

static bool ath9k_hw_dfs_tested(struct ath_hw *ah)
{

    switch (ah->hw_version.macVersion) {
    /* for temporary testing DFS with 9280 */
    case AR_SREV_VERSION_9280:
    /* AR9580 will likely be our first target to get testing on */
    case AR_SREV_VERSION_9580:
        return true;
    default:
        return false;
    }
}

And what about my questions?

1) Why can I configure a mesh point node on a radar detection channel?
2) Is it planned to implement DFS in the short term for IBSS and MeshPoint
modes? And how could I contribute?

Thomas