* OV5640 720p@60fps
@ 2021-09-23 10:37 Borut Lampe
From: Borut Lampe @ 2021-09-23 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi,

I noticed that for now only VGA resolution supports 60fps even though
the documentation says that 60fps is possible also for 1280x720.
Is there a reason this hasn't been implemented yet (e.g hardware
restraints)? Are there any plans to implement this? Can anyone give me
some pointers on what would have to be changed in the ov5640 driver to
achieve this (starting point would be linaro kernel qcomlt-4.14)?

Kind regards,
Borut

* Re: OV5640 720p@60fps
@ 2021-09-28  9:50 ` Jacopo Mondi
From: Jacopo Mondi @ 2021-09-28  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borut Lampe; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Borut,
   which kind of setup are you working with, parallel or CSI-2 ?

* Re: OV5640 720p@60fps
@ 2021-09-28 14:31   ` Borut Lampe
From: Borut Lampe @ 2021-09-28 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacopo Mondi; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Jacopo,

I am using MIPI CSI-2 with the Qualcomm Camera Subsystem driver on a
custom 820 dragonboard.

Kind regards,
Borut

V V tor., 28. sep. 2021 ob 11:49 je oseba Jacopo Mondi

* Re: OV5640 720p@60fps
@ 2021-09-28 16:02     ` Jacopo Mondi
From: Jacopo Mondi @ 2021-09-28 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borut Lampe; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Borut,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 04:31:11PM +0200, Borut Lampe wrote:
> Hi Jacopo,
>
> I am using MIPI CSI-2 with the Qualcomm Camera Subsystem driver on a
> custom 820 dragonboard.

2 lanes, right ?

I don't have an easy solution but I can provide a bit of context.

It started with
aa2882481cad ("media: ov5640: Adjust the clock based on the expected rate")

where we moved to compute the clock tree at runtime instead of relying
on the hardcoded configuration in the register tables:

c14d107e7417 ("media: ov5640: Remove the clocks registers initialization")

From there the ov5640_set_mipi_pclk() went in and we never really got
to a version that works for all the modes supported by the sensor.

There were a few attempts to improve it, Tomi has found a discrepancy
in the H/V TOT values, I tried to re-implement the CSI-2 clock tree
calculation, but we never get to a set of results that was globally
satisfying and I guess we all dropped the ball

You can find more about that here:
https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/linux-media/cover/20201028225706.110078-1-jacopo+renesas@jmondi.org/

And if you're willing to test those patches and see if the situation
improves it would be very useful.

Thanks and good luck!

* Re: OV5640 720p@60fps
@ 2021-10-06 12:02       ` Borut Lampe
From: Borut Lampe @ 2021-10-06 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacopo Mondi; +Cc: linux-media

Jacopo,

Thanks for the info. I will look into it and get back to you if I have
any additional questions, hopefully I can get it working.

Kind regards,

V V tor., 28. sep. 2021 ob 18:02 je oseba Jacopo Mondi