* [Buildroot] Patch for buildroot script utils/scanpypi
@ 2022-09-08 15:53 erichiggins
From: erichiggins @ 2022-09-08 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello all,

I've created a minor patch to resolve a bug in the utils/scanpypi script.
I've written up the justification, examples, and technical details in the
following GitHub gist which also contains the patch contents.

https://gist.github.com/erichiggins/223b2495ada64001c44deedd3a3df6ed

Happy to discuss further either over email or IRC.

Thanks!
-Eric

* Re: [Buildroot] Patch for buildroot script utils/scanpypi
@ 2022-09-12  9:05 ` Marcus Hoffmann
From: Marcus Hoffmann @ 2022-09-12  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erichiggins, buildroot

Hi Eric,

can you submit this as a proper patch via this mailing list so it can be
properly reviewed here?

See https://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#submitting-patches from
the manual.

Best,
Marcus

@ 2022-09-12 16:25   ` erichiggins
From: erichiggins @ 2022-09-12 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Hoffmann; +Cc: buildroot

I can, but I have to say that I agree with the note from the accepted
answer on stackoverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68238912/how-to-configure-and-use-git-send-email-to-work-with-gmail-to-email-patches-to

The Buildroot project is creating too many barriers to contribute by not
adopting modern standards (e.g. self-hosted vs GitHub/GitLab, mailing list
patches vs Pull Requests, IRC vs Slack/Discord, etc).
There are many contributions that I would love to make, but the project
makes it much harder than it needs to be and it's not a good use of my time.

Thanks,
-Eric

@ 2022-09-12 21:42     ` Marcus Hoffmann
From: Marcus Hoffmann @ 2022-09-12 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erichiggins; +Cc: buildroot

Eric,

On 12.09.22 18:25, erichiggins@gmail.com wrote:
> I can, but I have to say that I agree with the note from the accepted
> answer on stackoverflow:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68238912/how-to-configure-and-use-git-send-email-to-work-with-gmail-to-email-patches-to <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68238912/how-to-configure-and-use-git-send-email-to-work-with-gmail-to-email-patches-to>
>
> The Buildroot project is creating too many barriers to contribute by not
> adopting modern standards (e.g. self-hosted vs GitHub/GitLab, mailing
> list patches vs Pull Requests, IRC vs Slack/Discord, etc).

There's also benefits to this model (apart from not using centralized,
proprietary platforms being a good thing IMO):

It's much more common to get reviews/input from non-maintainers on this
list, whereas on github people usually don't look through other peoples
pull requests.

> There are many contributions that I would love to make, but the project
> makes it much harder than it needs to be and it's not a good use of my time.

Together with Patchwork the email workflow is pretty nice actually.

You'll even get all the review comments here, I just wish it would allow
commenting there (and sending it to the ML on behalf of the commenter):

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/CAHfxMJ4cFRmUBteM-tM_gM=5fbdupjJRaahnbc34wifYgSn=gg@mail.gmail.com/

Looking forward to more of your contributions :-).

Best,
Marcus