* soundwire: user space test utilities
@ 2022-05-31 14:37 Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2022-05-31 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vkoul, sanyog.r.kale, Pierre-Louis Bossart; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi all,

I am looking for any existing user space test utilities to test
SOUNDWIRE SUBSYSTEM in Linux kernel. Can someone please point me to
this.

Sekhar

* Re: soundwire: user space test utilities
@ 2022-05-31 14:43 ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2022-05-31 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar, vkoul, sanyog.r.kale; +Cc: alsa-devel

> I am looking for any existing user space test utilities to test
> SOUNDWIRE SUBSYSTEM in Linux kernel. Can someone please point me to
> this.

There are no specific userspace utilities to test the bus itself, you
can use existing alsa-lib/alsa-utils applications to play/capture audio
and check for events, i.e. aplay, arecord, speaker-test, amixer,
alsamixer, evtest

The Intel manager driver provides a set of debugfs features to e.g.
inject a parity error, bad command or test for signal integrity with the
PRBS data generation, but that's low-level for hardware integration
purposes.

* Re: soundwire: user space test utilities
@ 2022-05-31 15:19   ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2022-05-31 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart; +Cc: vkoul, sanyog.r.kale, alsa-devel

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 8:44 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> > I am looking for any existing user space test utilities to test
> > SOUNDWIRE SUBSYSTEM in Linux kernel. Can someone please point me to
> > this.
>
> There are no specific userspace utilities to test the bus itself, you
> can use existing alsa-lib/alsa-utils applications to play/capture audio
> and check for events, i.e. aplay, arecord, speaker-test, amixer,
> alsamixer, evtest
Thanks a lot for the clarification.

@ 2023-03-06  6:39   ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2023-03-06  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart; +Cc: vkoul, sanyog.r.kale, alsa-devel

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 8:44 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> > I am looking for any existing user space test utilities to test
> > SOUNDWIRE SUBSYSTEM in Linux kernel. Can someone please point me to
> > this.
>
> There are no specific userspace utilities to test the bus itself, you
> can use existing alsa-lib/alsa-utils applications to play/capture audio
> and check for events, i.e. aplay, arecord, speaker-test, amixer,
> alsamixer, evtest
alsa-lib/alsa-utils applications can be used for transmitting audio data.
How to transmit non-audio data over the Soundwire interface?

@ 2023-03-06 16:18     ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2023-03-06 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar; +Cc: vkoul, sanyog.r.kale, alsa-devel

On 3/6/23 01:39, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 8:44 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
> <pierre-louis.bossart@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I am looking for any existing user space test utilities to test
>>> SOUNDWIRE SUBSYSTEM in Linux kernel. Can someone please point me to
>>> this.
>>
>> There are no specific userspace utilities to test the bus itself, you
>> can use existing alsa-lib/alsa-utils applications to play/capture audio
>> and check for events, i.e. aplay, arecord, speaker-test, amixer,
>> alsamixer, evtest
> alsa-lib/alsa-utils applications can be used for transmitting audio data.
> How to transmit non-audio data over the Soundwire interface?

There's no good answer to such a vague question. "non-audio data" can be
transmitted over the control channel or the "BRA" mode, if supported.
That's how drivers provide firmware or configuration blobs, but that's
internal to the kernel. There's no dedicated/standard interface to send
"non-audio data" from userpace to a specific device. It's not SoundWire
specific btw, you'd have the same answer for HDaudio.