* pcie: fpga: programme FPGA PROM’s
@ 2018-06-06  9:08 ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-06  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci, linux-fpga

[ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]

Hi All,

We have a Kintex7 FPGA board connected to Intel Atom PC running Ubuntu
on PCIe bus.
We are looking for a tool to allow us to remotely programme FPGA
PROM=E2=80=99s via the Intel Atom PC on PCIe bus. Does any one already done
this or can someone share the ideas?

--=20
Thanks,
Sekhar

From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-06  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pci, linux-fpga

[ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]

Hi All,

We have a Kintex7 FPGA board connected to Intel Atom PC running Ubuntu
on PCIe bus.
We are looking for a tool to allow us to remotely programme FPGA
PROM’s via the Intel Atom PC on PCIe bus. Does any one already done
this or can someone share the ideas?

Sekhar

* Re: pcie: fpga: programme FPGA PROM’s
  (?)
@ 2018-06-06 11:20 ` Ludwig Petrosyan
From: Ludwig Petrosyan @ 2018-06-06 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar, linux-pci, linux-fpga

Hi

why You do not use jtagplayer from Xilinx?

with best regards

Ludwig

@ 2018-06-06 11:37     ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-06 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludwig Petrosyan; +Cc: linux-pci, linux-fpga

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Ludwig Petrosyan
<ludwig.petrosyan@desy.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> why You do not use jtagplayer from Xilinx?

Yes, JTAG can be used. But we have a lot many of these FPGA boards,
using JTAG costs more. And also we want to automate the PROM
programming.

From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-06 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludwig Petrosyan; +Cc: linux-pci, linux-fpga

@ 2018-06-06 15:48     ` Moritz Fischer
From: Moritz Fischer @ 2018-06-06 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar; +Cc: Ludwig Petrosyan, linux-pci, linux-fpga

Hi Muni,

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Muni Sekhar <munisekharrms@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Ludwig Petrosyan
> <ludwig.petrosyan@desy.de> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> why You do not use jtagplayer from Xilinx?
>
> Yes, JTAG can be used. But we have a lot many of these FPGA boards,
> using JTAG costs more. And also we want to automate the PROM
> programming.
>

>> with best regards
>>

>> Ludwig
>>

>> On 06/06/2018 11:08 AM, Muni Sekhar wrote:
>>>
>>> [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> We have a Kintex7 FPGA board connected to Intel Atom PC running Ubuntu
>>> on PCIe bus.

Are you using a Tandem flow? What kind of PROM are we talking about QSPI flash?

Cheers,

Moritz

* Re: pcie: fpga: programme FPGA PROM’s
@ 2018-06-06 17:10         ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-06 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Fischer; +Cc: Ludwig Petrosyan, linux-pci, linux-fpga

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Moritz Fischer <moritz.fischer@ettus.com> w=
rote:
> Hi Muni,
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Muni Sekhar <munisekharrms@gmail.com> wro=
te:
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Ludwig Petrosyan
>> <ludwig.petrosyan@desy.de> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> why You do not use jtagplayer from Xilinx?
>>
>> Yes, JTAG can be used. But we have a lot many of these FPGA boards,
>> using JTAG costs more. And also we want to automate the PROM
>> programming.
>>

>>> with best regards
>>>

>>> Ludwig

> Are you using a Tandem flow? What kind of PROM are we talking about QSPI =
flash?
I'm not sure about the Tandem flow, can you please clarify me on this?

Okay, we have two onboard PROM=E2=80=99s (Micron=E2=80=99s SPI NOR Flash MT=
25QL128).
The FPGA will be loaded from one of the two onboard PROM=E2=80=99s, it will=
 be
up and running before the PC powers up.
When the Intel Atom PC powers up the FPGA will enumerate over PCIe.
I'm looking for any available Linux tool(user space or kernel space)
to program the PROM's via PCIe interface.

From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-06 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Fischer; +Cc: Ludwig Petrosyan, linux-pci, linux-fpga

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Moritz Fischer <moritz.fischer@ettus.com> wrote:
> Hi Muni,
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Muni Sekhar <munisekharrms@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Ludwig Petrosyan
>> <ludwig.petrosyan@desy.de> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> why You do not use jtagplayer from Xilinx?
>>
>> Yes, JTAG can be used. But we have a lot many of these FPGA boards,
>> using JTAG costs more. And also we want to automate the PROM
>> programming.
>>

>>> with best regards
>>>

>>> Ludwig

> Are you using a Tandem flow? What kind of PROM are we talking about QSPI flash?
I'm not sure about the Tandem flow, can you please clarify me on this?

Okay, we have two onboard PROM’s (Micron’s SPI NOR Flash MT25QL128).
The FPGA will be loaded from one of the two onboard PROM’s, it will be

@ 2018-06-06 20:19         ` Moritz Fischer
From: Moritz Fischer @ 2018-06-06 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar; +Cc: Moritz Fischer, Ludwig Petrosyan, linux-pci, linux-fpga

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 10:40:47PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Moritz Fischer <moritz.fischer@ettus.com> wrote:
> > Hi Muni,
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Muni Sekhar <munisekharrms@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, JTAG can be used. But we have a lot many of these FPGA boards,
> >> using JTAG costs more. And also we want to automate the PROM
> >> programming.

> > Are you using a Tandem flow? What kind of PROM are we talking about QSPI flash?
> I'm not sure about the Tandem flow, can you please clarify me on this?
>
> Okay, we have two onboard PROM’s (Micron’s SPI NOR Flash MT25QL128).
> The FPGA will be loaded from one of the two onboard PROM’s, it will be
> up and running before the PC powers up.

In which case you don't need Tandem. Tandem basically just brings up
minmal bitstream to bring up PCIe link and does the rest via some sort
of partial reconfiguration flow. This allows to meet the PCIe deadline.

> When the Intel Atom PC powers up the FPGA will enumerate over PCIe.
> I'm looking for any available Linux tool(user space or kernel space)
> to program the PROM's via PCIe interface.

Any reason you can't drop a SPI controller in the fabric and use that
to program the FPGA or do you intend to do the initial programing of
the PROM also over PCIe?

- Moritz

* Re: pcie: fpga: programme FPGA PROM’s
@ 2018-06-07  3:49             ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-07  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Fischer; +Cc: Moritz Fischer, Ludwig Petrosyan, linux-pci, linux-fpga

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 1:49 AM, Moritz Fischer <mdf@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 10:40:47PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Moritz Fischer <moritz.fischer@ettus.com=
> wrote:
>> > Hi Muni,

>> > Are you using a Tandem flow? What kind of PROM are we talking about QS=
PI flash?
>> I'm not sure about the Tandem flow, can you please clarify me on this?
>>
>> Okay, we have two onboard PROM=E2=80=99s (Micron=E2=80=99s SPI NOR Flash=
 MT25QL128).
>> The FPGA will be loaded from one of the two onboard PROM=E2=80=99s, it w=
ill be
>> up and running before the PC powers up.
>
> In which case you don't need Tandem. Tandem basically just brings up
> minmal bitstream to bring up PCIe link and does the rest via some sort
> of partial reconfiguration flow. This allows to meet the PCIe deadline.
>
>> When the Intel Atom PC powers up the FPGA will enumerate over PCIe.
>> I'm looking for any available Linux tool(user space or kernel space)
>> to program the PROM's via PCIe interface.
>
> Any reason you can't drop a SPI controller in the fabric and use that
> to program the FPGA or do you intend to do the initial programing of
> the PROM also over PCIe?
No, we use a removeable dongle with a pre-loaded PROM.

From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-06-07  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Fischer; +Cc: Moritz Fischer, Ludwig Petrosyan, linux-pci, linux-fpga

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 1:49 AM, Moritz Fischer <mdf@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 10:40:47PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Moritz Fischer <moritz.fischer@ettus.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Muni,

>> > Are you using a Tandem flow? What kind of PROM are we talking about QSPI flash?
>> I'm not sure about the Tandem flow, can you please clarify me on this?
>>
>> Okay, we have two onboard PROM’s (Micron’s SPI NOR Flash MT25QL128).
>> The FPGA will be loaded from one of the two onboard PROM’s, it will be
>> up and running before the PC powers up.
>
> In which case you don't need Tandem. Tandem basically just brings up
> minmal bitstream to bring up PCIe link and does the rest via some sort
> of partial reconfiguration flow. This allows to meet the PCIe deadline.
>
>> When the Intel Atom PC powers up the FPGA will enumerate over PCIe.
>> I'm looking for any available Linux tool(user space or kernel space)
>> to program the PROM's via PCIe interface.
>
> Any reason you can't drop a SPI controller in the fabric and use that
> to program the FPGA or do you intend to do the initial programing of
> the PROM also over PCIe?
No, we use a removeable dongle with a pre-loaded PROM.

> - Moritz

Sekhar