* enable dynamic debug - doubt
@ 2015-11-17 12:40 Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2015-11-17 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]

 Hello,

The behaviour of dynamic debug prints are controlled via writing to a
control file in the 'debugfs'
filesystem(<debugfs>/dynamic_debug/control).

Here I would like to know what order should the echo(for eg: echo -n
'module sdhci +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control) be
applied in relation to the module load - before or after?

Sekhar

* Re: enable dynamic debug - doubt
@ 2015-11-18 19:12 ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2015-11-18 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Muni Sekhar <munisekharrms@gmail.com> wrote:
> [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
>
>  Hello,
>
> The behaviour of dynamic debug prints are controlled via writing to a
> control file in the 'debugfs'
> filesystem(<debugfs>/dynamic_debug/control).
>
> Here I would like to know what order should the echo(for eg: echo -n
> 'module sdhci +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control) be
> applied in relation to the module load - before or after?

Just imagine how debugfs works. It has probes over the code where
*_dbg/debug() prints are used. Those special data structures are kept
in the specific part of the file / kernel. If there is no module, how
will kernel know that there is a portion of such data there?

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* Re: enable dynamic debug - doubt
@ 2015-11-18 21:08 ` Peter Hurley
From: Peter Hurley @ 2015-11-18 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muni Sekhar, linux-kernel

On 11/17/2015 07:40 AM, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
>
>  Hello,
>
> The behaviour of dynamic debug prints are controlled via writing to a
> control file in the 'debugfs'
> filesystem(<debugfs>/dynamic_debug/control).

That's not the only method. You'll want to read
Documentation/dynamic-debug-howto.txt; specifically, "Debug Messages at
Module Initialization Time" for ways to enable dynamic debug messages at
module load time.

Regards,
Peter Hurley

@ 2015-11-19  8:47   ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2015-11-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Hurley; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:38 AM, Peter Hurley <peter@hurleysoftware.com> wrote:

> On 11/17/2015 07:40 AM, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> > [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
> >
> >  Hello,
> >
> > The behaviour of dynamic debug prints are controlled via writing to a
> > control file in the 'debugfs'
> > filesystem(<debugfs>/dynamic_debug/control).
>
> That's not the only method. You'll want to read
> Documentation/dynamic-debug-howto.txt; specifically, "Debug Messages at
> Module Initialization Time" for ways to enable dynamic debug messages at
> module load time.
>
> Regards,
> Peter Hurley
>
> > Here I would like to know what order should the echo(for eg: echo -n
> > 'module sdhci +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control) be
> > applied in relation to the module load - before or after?

I just glanced through the Documentation/dynamic-debug-howto.txt and
now I am able to enable "Debug Messages at Module Initialization
Time".

Thanks Peter & Andy for the clarification.

Sekhar